I absolutely hate a straight plug for going portable for IEM's or cans.
Jul 18, 2019 at 8:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Blueshound24

Headphoneus Supremus
When going portable with your DAP or phone in your pocket why on earth would somebody want a straight plug that sticks out so far just begging to break off, or with the plug putting pressure inside of the plug socket inside your DAP or phone wearing it out prematurely?

With IEMs especially when I am going portable with DAP or phone I usually carry them in my front or back pants pocket I am very concerned when bending over or sitting down that damage will occur.

Especially for portable IEM'S I believe an angled or 90 degree plug is much more comfortable in knowing it is less likely to stick out so far as to break off when your DAP or phone is in your pocket.

It seems to be a cultural thing? Many Asian countries audio people seem to prefer the straight plug for whatever reason. So for you who prefer a straight plug... Why? And for those of you who prefer an angled or 90 degree plug chime in!

Jul 20, 2019 at 9:35 AM Post #5 of 10
I think we can necrobump this topic a few times.

When I first encountered angled plugs, I first thought it was awkward due to the cable being bent perpendicularly, pocketing it like that seemed weired, was puzzled why they did that. Then I started to think, if it's straight and stick up so much, the chances of it getting banged are much greater and also put a lot of force on the jack and wear out the jack quicker. Angled seems more sturdy with much less length area to put force on it and the jack.

Besides, I bent a stright plug on my S8. It dawned on me then.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2019 at 9:42 AM Post #6 of 10
When going portable with your DAP or phone in your pocket why on earth would somebody want a straight plug that sticks out so far just begging to break off, or with the plug putting pressure inside of the plug socket inside your DAP or phone wearing it out prematurely?

With IEMs especially when I am going portable with DAP or phone I usually carry them in my front or back pants pocket I am very concerned when bending over or sitting down that damage will occur.

Especially for portable IEM'S I believe an angled or 90 degree plug is much more comfortable in knowing it is less likely to stick out so far as to break off when your DAP or phone is in your pocket.

It seems to be a cultural thing? Many Asian countries audio people seem to prefer the straight plug for whatever reason. So for you who prefer a straight plug... Why? And for those of you who prefer an angled or 90 degree plug chime in!

Not only do I only use straight, I have a belt clip on the back of my AK player that keeps the 3.5mm jack from going far into my pocket. I have never had a cable break at the jack since I started using one.

20190720-064306.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2019 at 11:01 AM Post #8 of 10
What I hate is that there are only like a handful of options for light portable cables with angled connectors, basically that Mee cable and two others. The rest are all thick as-many-cores-as-we-can-weave cables with industrial grade connectors. I use my IEMs outside, I don't want to walk around with a transmission cable around my neck like a 90's rapper.

Jul 20, 2019 at 1:51 PM Post #9 of 10
I hate straight plug too, it's a shame that every cable manufacturer is producing only straight plugs now.
Look on Aliexpress, there are several right angle plugs available. I prefer straight plugs as I don't use my good iems on the go. The only place I use to them is the gym but I have enough KZ and CCA models to have a right angle if I need one. I usually put my phone in my pocket upside down with the plug facing down so it's handy to take up the bulk of the cord length. I don't ever plan on using my good cables out and about since I don't want to test their durability and rather simply enjoy them at home....hence straight for me.

Jul 20, 2019 at 2:48 PM Post #10 of 10
I prefer straight plugs with HO on the bottom and RA with side HO. In the jacket pocket feeding the cable straight out is no stress. Also there are small straight plugs. My Aurvana Air has one smaller that sticks out less than quite a few of my RA plug earphones.

I also use impedance adapter and BGVP tuning cables...
TB2_WtUiXXXXXXJXXXXXXXXXXXX_!!16566985.jpg

I would rather use straight plugs out of these types.

Not really any issue as I have not had anything break off or stress. Actually had one output start to cut out when using a RA as pulling on the cable put stress sideways while pulling out straight just pulls the plug straight out so either it stresses the cable plug connection only or even pulls out the plug from the jack but still just straight out forces. I don't do any wrapping around or other stuff that pulls sideways on a straight plug.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back