I’m perplexed; should I go for better tuning, or better technicalities?
Mar 20, 2020 at 8:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

bcaulf17

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I’ve been a user here for some time; I currently own the HD6XX, ER4XR, Beyer DT 177X Go, and B&O H6 Gen 2.

I use closed backs most often so that’s where I’m really actively searching for the best I can afford for some time. I like both my 177X Go and H6 a lot. But at the time, I wasn’t sure I liked the H6. I also felt there was something missing; some fullness, some warmth. Music could tend to sound thin with them. But they have excellent detail and clarity. In the end, I always felt that I could enjoy them daily but not to full satisfaction. I kept shopping around to see what else I could find.

I then saw the DT 177X Go announced, a Drop version of the DT 1770. I decided to pre-order them, thinking this was the next step.

When I first got them I thought “this is it”. It’s very close to how I want a headphone to sound. It’s rich, dynamic, bombastic, non-fatiguing and open. But upon comparing, I began to notice...

On a technical level, they’re actually worse than the H6, and the ER4XR and even HD6XX. I kind of new this for a while, but I thought the difference was so small it didn’t matter as my music sounded good. However, I found one track that I used for comparison and it gutted me.

This should be a good track for testing detail and resolution; Sonic Reducer by Dead Boys. Just the intro. There’s this swirling sound effect, but within it there are small faint cymbal taps throughout. I can hear it in all of these headphones, except the 177X. Which frankly annoys me now because it’s the most expensive out of all of those.

I plan on keeping all of these, but the battle is deciding which one to use at work now, having discovered this. I think I prefer the 177X because it presents music the way I want in terms of tuning; but the detail level is disappointing. The H6 is a little less enjoyable, but is better in its own way because of the resolution. Could just go with the ER4XR but I prefer the full sized experience. And I can’t use the HD6XX at work, of course.

Obviously I should make up my own mind, but what would you choose; the more expensive headphone with better tuning and soundstage, or the less expensive headphone with better resolution? What’s the “audiophile” way.

Thank you, sorry for the long post.

Mar 21, 2020 at 12:14 AM Post #2 of 6
That's just silly to be frank with you.

You're the one owning these headphones not us, you're the one knowing your preferences and priorities… not us.

This whole hobby is subjective AF!.
There is no a right way of enjoyment, it's a taste thing.
I can tell you the right way to build a bridge, but I can't tell you the right way to enjoy your pizza!. The bridge has a function, the pizza is for enjoyment.
As long as you're not mixing and mastering with these headphones I can't tell you the right way to enjoy your music.

Mar 21, 2020 at 12:25 AM Post #3 of 6
There’s this swirling sound effect, but within it there are small faint cymbal taps throughout. I can hear it in all of these headphones, except the 177X.

That means the 177X is the best because there AREN'T faint cymbal taps. There is a bubble popping sound though about 2.1 seconds in, and someone saying something in the distance at 3.9 seconds. Listening on a HD800S.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2020 at 3:05 AM Post #4 of 6
Obviously I should make up my own mind, but what would you choose; the more expensive headphone with better tuning and soundstage, or the less expensive headphone with better resolution? What’s the “audiophile” way.

Depends on what you understand about being an audiophile.

If you go with the more common definition then get the one that subjectively sounds good on everything then get one headphone that sounds creamy on some tracks where the first headphone isn't good at then drive them both with a very warm sounding tube amplifier. Instead of using an equalizer - that's heresy.

Mar 21, 2020 at 6:32 AM Post #5 of 6
Thank you folks. Yeah, I do know first and foremost that this is a hobby and I should go with what sounds best to me. But I like them both! I’m a generally indecisive person, and I think I was starting to feel unsure about my own thought process.

Mar 21, 2020 at 11:29 AM Post #6 of 6
That means the 177X is the best because there AREN'T faint cymbal taps. There is a bubble popping sound though about 2.1 seconds in, and someone saying something in the distance at 3.9 seconds. Listening on a HD800S.
I guess the HD800S really is the detail king then. I don’t hear a bubble popping sound on any of these headphones :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back