I´ve been ruined by the Stax SR-009 sound
Apr 3, 2013 at 1:35 PM Post #31 of 70
I haven't heard the SRM-323s, however I once had the SR-007mk1 / SRM-007t  but was disappointed with that combo, in fact to me the HD-600 / GS-Xmk2 sound better than that Stax combo, but to what I can recall the SR-007's sounded airy which I liked, also at the time I had the Stax combo my source was the Esoteric x-03se, 

Yeah the dealer tried to push 007tII or 006tS on me but I actually preferred the 323S over those... (like someone already pointed out, there must be something wrong with my ears :wink:)

My source was a Bryston BDP-1 and BDA-1 for that shootout, using a Benchmark DAC2 with my 323S these days and I'm pretty happy with that combo.

Hoping to get my hands on a LLmk2 soon tho :)

Apr 3, 2013 at 2:13 PM Post #32 of 70
Quote:
Yeah the dealer tried to push 007tII or 006tS on me but I actually preferred the 323S over those... (like someone already pointed out, there must be something wrong with my ears
wink.gif
)

My source was a Bryston BDP-1 and BDA-1 for that shootout, using a Benchmark DAC2 with my 323S these days and I'm pretty happy with that combo.

Hoping to get my hands on a LLmk2 soon tho
smily_headphones1.gif

I think many would agree here that the 323s is the preferred current production Stax amp in stock form. I bought mine as a secondary amp and have been pleasantly surprised.

Apr 3, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #33 of 70
I think many would agree here that the 323s is the preferred current production Stax amp in stock form. I bought mine as a secondary amp and have been pleasantly surprised.

Heh, not judging from various responses around the forums, but thanks :)

How did you find the 727II compared to the 323S btw?

And I noticed you are getting rid of yours?
I have decided to sell these headphones and move down a different path

Apr 3, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #34 of 70
Quote:
Heh, not judging from various responses around the forums, but thanks :)

How did you find the 727II compared to the 323S btw?

And I noticed you are getting rid of yours?

I believe that Spritzer/KGilmour have both commented on this, that a modded 727 is their best sounding current production amp, along the lines of a more powerful 323. I prefer the 323 to 727 in stock form, I feel it is a well balanced little amp, especially for $1000 less

I have not received my modded 727 back so I will definitely see how the 2 compare. Going for a top tier amp I would have no problem living with a 323 holding me over during the wait, or just owning one outright.

I am keeping my SR-007's, that is regarding my SR-009 sale.

Apr 3, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #36 of 70
I believe that Spritzer/KGilmour have both commented on this, that a modded 727 is their best sounding current production amp, along the lines of a more powerful 323. I prefer the 323 to 727 in stock form, I feel it is a well balanced little amp, especially for $1000 less

I have not received my modded 727 back so I will definitely see how the 2 compare. Going for a top tier amp I would have no problem living with a 323 holding me over during the wait, or just owning one outright.

I am keeping my SR-007's, that is regarding my SR-009 sale.

Yeah the SRM-323S cost me about 1/4th of what the SRM-727II would have been...
Didn't get a chance to try some SR-007mk1's, but like I said, the SR-007mk2's sounded pretty bad compared to the SR-009 in my ears.
I would just have kept the HD800 over the 007mk2 tbh...

told u cybdev

/ THEPIMP 
bigsmile_face.gif

Haha, did you get banned for speaking swedish everywhere or smth? :wink:

Anyway, yes you did!

But since I haven't heard the 007mk1 I'll stick my head in the sand and pretend the 009 is the "z0mg best set of cans in teh galaxy" for the time being :)

Oh, and I never noticed any lack of power in the SRM-323S? Perhaps the Benchmark DAC2 has high output signal or something, but I'm usually between 4 and 7 on the dial. (scale 0-10)

Apr 3, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #37 of 70
Cybdev, i wished i never bought 009. sold it for 12.000 sek and never looked back. please listening to vocals, 009 miss the throat section (low mids) and sound is not homogeneous (sound does not comes together, as one)

12k sek?! What... You should have told me 2 months ago! That's less than half of what I paid for my 009 :frowning2:

Really? I find it pretty good overall, not sure I'd want more low mids either.
The one thing I could want that the 009 doesn't have is the high res lows from the HD800, it was the only thing SQ wise I felt the HD800 bested the 009 on apart from the soundstage...

Apr 3, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #38 of 70
Quote:
I'd like to have a listen to the HD-800 + HE-6 and TH-900 with my GS-Xmk2 + source but having said that, I'm very happy with how my HD-600's sound.
My point about the SR-009 is yes it's an amazing headphone, but in no way has it spoilt the enjoyment I'm getting from the HD-600.

I've heard the SR-009 with, SRM-007t + SRM-717 + LL and my BHSE, and out of those four I liked the BHSE most. [ although the LL makes the 009 sound very good ] The only problem I find with the 009 / BHSE is some songs in my collection sound shrilling, this is why IMO it's not the perfect headphone.

I had the chance to listen to some 009 at the Montréal Hi-Fi show, and altough they sounded very good, i would never say that the other flagship headphones that were present were ''unlistenable''. It's not often that i read negative comment regarding the 009, i have to say that i find your honesty rather refreshing.

Apr 3, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #39 of 70
I am also of the opinion that SR-009s are really excellent, but have some flaws that keep them from being cans I would own (not price either).

Apr 3, 2013 at 11:49 PM Post #40 of 70
I guess it boils down to what part of the headphone characteristics you are most sensitive to.

In my experience, the 009 does spoil the fun and I have lost all interest in other gear because it excels at what I am after (resolution, precision, lack of apparent coloration, be a chameleon in a way all recordings sound different for good or worse).

I suspect the BHSE is going to make my rig more intolerant of average quality recordings, but my secret weapon then is to simply have an omega 2mk1 when the mood strikes or the recording calls for it. Horse was beaten to death but you can't have the cake and eat it, resolution and transparency comes at a price.

For many, an "excessively" resolving rig is like a poisonous gift, they start to realize fidelity wasn't at all what they were missing all along but instead specific characteristics that sound pleasing to their own ears. In such scenario, in no way the 009 would spoil the fun. If anything, its sound might not do it at all for the listener. 

Apr 4, 2013 at 1:43 AM Post #41 of 70
So it would seem that the 009 is the HD800 of electrostatics, in that it's widely respected for its resolution and neutrality, but not necessarily its musicality, which IMO requires a deviation from at least the neutrality part. As an HD800 owner, I don't necessarily buy in to its reputation for having a superior soundstage, it's different, but for myself soundstage is in the recording not the headphones. So that leaves us with:

Quote:
the 009 doesn't have is the high res lows from the HD800

Which surprises me. I would have expected the 009's bass to be every bit as resolving as an HD800. I'm pretty sure my Lambda Pro's is, I'll check when it gets back. But what do I know
rolleyes.gif

I'm thinking that the 009 would sound great out of my system, but that I could be happy with a 007. I almost pulled the trigger on one a while ago but if I don't try a 009 first I'll never know and that will keep me from being totally satisfied with a 007. It's a good way to sit tight and not spend any more $...

Apr 4, 2013 at 2:28 AM Post #42 of 70
Keep in mind I only compared the 009 to the HD800 using 323S/007tII/006tS as amping for the 009. Could be (and I'm ofc hoping) that changes if it's amped with 727/LL/BHSE etc... but I haven't heard any of those yet.

And as a purely uneducated speculative guess; I would have to say the perceived soundstage of the HD800 could be a result from the elevated highs (my HD800 is definitively brighter around 6k than the 009).

Anyway, the differences are pretty small, and the highs in HD800 was probably the deciding factor when I pulled the trigger on the 009 :)
Both are great cans imo

Apr 4, 2013 at 2:45 AM Post #43 of 70
Quote:
Keep in mind I only compared the 009 to the HD800 using 323S/007tII/006tS as amping for the 009. Could be (and I'm ofc hoping) that changes if it's amped with 727/LL/BHSE etc... but I haven't heard any of those yet.

And as a purely uneducated speculative guess; I would have to say the perceived soundstage of the HD800 could be a result from the elevated highs (my HD800 is definitively brighter around 6k than the 009).

Anyway, the differences are pretty small, and the highs in HD800 was probably the deciding factor when I pulled the trigger on the 009
smily_headphones1.gif

Both are great cans imo

The perceived soundstage on the HD800 is due to the angle driver IMO.  The HD800 has the SR009 beat in the width of the soundstage but the SR009 has much better depth.  The HD800 is superb for its asking price.  The Qualia is even more impressive than the HD800 in the width of the sounstage, but the SR009 still has slighty better depth in my system.

Apr 4, 2013 at 3:13 AM Post #44 of 70
To me it's not soundstage, it's a trick that lets you think that there is a soundstage present in the recording when it isn't. Maybe I hear differently than others, but I A/B'd the HD800 with a headphone that everyone complains about having no soundstage, the LCD2 rev.1, and I found that while the HD800 offered more of a holographic effect, the LCD2 actually had a wider left to right soundstage. Then I noticed that the HD800 added this 3d effect even when it wasn't so present in the recording. So for me the HD800 adds a bit of front to rear to the mix whether you want it to or not, which can be interpreted as soundstage but I actually feel that it is the HD800's lone coloration factor. It's still a great headphone but I don't listen to it as much as I used to.

Sorry for the OT
redface.gif

Apr 4, 2013 at 3:38 AM Post #45 of 70
I am going very much the same way as Arnaud with BHSE on order to power my SR009s and SR007 Mk1s on my main system, but retaining HD800s / HE6s powered by A-g Master 8 for dynamic system. Some how the choice of headphones on both systems seem to give complimentary flavours.

It has all been a long journey and sadly my only listen to the SR009s so far has been on a SRM007t1 and sounded as woolly as he'll does nothing to minimise my optimism for the completed system. If I don't like the BHSE on the SR009s I will buy a Cavali LL2 and use the SR007 mk1s on the BHSE.

Regards

Macrog

Users who are viewing this thread

Back