Hypothetical speaker rig for my grandma
Mar 22, 2013 at 10:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Man7rah

100+ Head-Fier
So I thought this would be a fun one 
biggrin.gif

How about putting together a hypothetical rig for my grandma so I can show her what she can get for the money she has to spare (she has no idea what to spend it on) So then, lets get to the grounds for the rig:

Budget: 700 - 800 $
Needs to be somewhat classy and not too big, prefferably a little smaller than this:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-7JPNYexMkUs/TpGwhBB8XwI/AAAAAAAAAHk/BawiUjVSay8/s1600/kef-iq90-1.jpg

That's it really. Enjoy guys ^_^

Mar 22, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #3 of 9
Mar 23, 2013 at 1:59 PM Post #6 of 9
How will she primarily use it? Music? HT? What percentage? And what components? TV/cable? Blu-ray? And are those included in the budget?

If mainly HT, a good self-powered soundbar might be easiest.

Mar 23, 2013 at 2:51 PM Post #7 of 9
She will be using it mostly for watching regular old television, radio, and I will probably talk her into trying music streaming                       (spotify and the likes)

Mar 23, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #8 of 9
A few years ago, my brother and I bought my mom a nice Marantz audio/video receiver, DVD player, and Paradigm speakers. And she's had nothing but trouble using it. She gets all confused, and it didn't help when the cat knocked the HDMI cable out and she tried to plug stuff back in herself and changed all the cables around. (lol) And it's getting worse (she's in her 70s) because her memory is getting worse.

So depending on how technologically inclined your grandma is and how old she is, simpler might be better. Audio/video receivers can seem fairly complex beasts to a lot of people.

You could also look into a Roku type streaming media player. Then you just need a 2 channel receiver or amp and speakers to handle the audio.

Mar 23, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:
So depending on how technologically inclined your grandma is and how old she is, simpler might be better. Audio/video receivers can seem fairly complex beasts to a lot of people.

She has her own laptop that she uses to browse the web and pays bills with, also she has a printer that she almost managed to set up herself! She is 66.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back