Hyperacusis (Sound Intolerance), Sensitivity to Sound?
Dec 17, 2014 at 6:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Minstrel59

Head-Fier
Very interested to read your opinions on headphones or in-ears suited to low volume listening (as I have severe Hyperacusis):-

Using an iPod Nano Gen 6 with no amplification.

For playback of vocals and acoustic music.

Fantastic clarity would probably be the most important attribute of a headphone for enhancing the enjoyment of my (enforced low volume) listening.

Neutral as possible; however I've got a feeling a slight boost in the bass and treble may helpful for greater clarity/coherence/intelligibility at quiet volumes.

Cautious of treble though because "clanking plates" and "people coughing/shouting" and "splashing water" type frequencies are very painful even at modest levels.

For this reason I think a soft treble would be helpful in avoiding shrillness/hardness/'graininess' (is that an actual word?) which would be painful to hear.

1)   Have you found a particular headphone that suits being played at extremely low level?  i.e. played 'loud' enough to hear and keep the hearing system exercised and working but not enough to cause ear pain?

2)  How about in-ear monitors?  Has anyone had any success (i.e. sound good to you and without being painful) with these?

3)  Have you found anything helpful in improving the condition (i.e. increasing tolerance to sound)?

"Happy Holidays"  
smile.gif
  everyone!

Dec 17, 2014 at 9:43 AM Post #3 of 9
Yes that's right Steve.

Very few people are even aware of the condition. I was one of them.

Those that have heard of it will know it as:
Hyperacusis or
Sound Intolerance or
Sensitivity to sound

So few people are aware of even the condition itself (and it's different names) I'm just making sure that the maximum number of people recognise what I'm talking about and respond if they wish.

Dec 17, 2014 at 9:49 AM Post #4 of 9
Please only create one post for your question, and give the forum some time to respond to your question. If you are not getting an answer, it is most likely because no one knows the answer. I would provide feedback if I could, but I have zero knowledge about sound intolerance.

Dec 17, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #5 of 9
Hi Billy Bob

Thanks for taking the trouble to post.

Believe me when I tell you hardly anyone has heard of Hyperacusis (that included me) and even medical professionals.  Those few people that have heard of the condition may know it as 'sensitivity to sound'  or 'sound intolerance'.

I posted all 3 identical posts at the same time deliberately to increase the chance of someone who knows one of the names (but not necessarily the other 2), recognising it in the title.

I'm going to try to delete 2 of my identical posts (and just expand the title of the 3rd) to save readers opening the same post thrice.

Thanks again BB

Dec 18, 2014 at 6:41 AM Post #6 of 9
I'm over from the other thread..!

The idea of clarity is somewhat at odds with the treble-shy requirements you have - but there are headphones out there.

The Shure range tends to go from slightly rolled off at the top (SE112/SE215) to a little on the peaky/bright side for me (SE315/SE425 & SE535) so you're between a rock and a hard place.

I can recommend the Final Audio Heaven range of in-ears, these have a single balanced armature driver which offers clarity but also there is a 'balanced air technology' in there which smooths out the sound and adds more bass than what would otherwise be there with a single BA design. There's the Heaven II, IV, VI and now the VII and VIII so a good range.

Audiofly has earphones tuned to avoid too much high frequency energy in favour of a clear and detailed midrange, the AF120 and AF140 might be a good choice.

Dec 18, 2014 at 7:41 AM Post #7 of 9
The problem with this is clarity tends to come from the brighter end of our tonality spectrum, you could spend endless amounts playing the trial and error game with IEM not exactly meeting your requirements, or you could simply use EQ to correct the frequency affecting you best as possible. I think in theory Its all very well sticking to the no EQ = Audiophile rule however in your case an exception must be made.

You can research the Sansa Clip products, a small cheap inexpensive player and install rockbox firmware which allows one to dial directly into any frequency they like making cuts or boosts, then find an IEM within your budget (which you have not told us) and adjust EQ accordingly. One must remember though if its highs you want to cut you will also decrease the overall clarity of the IEM. You're in a tight spot without much leeway, though with a budget one can give suggestions. Definitely consider retiring the iPod and looking at Sansa Clip+ or Clip Zip to access EQ. 

Dec 18, 2014 at 9:25 AM Post #8 of 9
Hello H20

Budget up to (but definitely not exceeding) Shure SE535 in-ear or SRH1540 hp

1)  I am trying to find the clearest AND most natural sounding in-ear without being peaky and bright (my glossary is expanding all the time).

2)  Also a closed back hp with the same criteria.

Thanks for your help

P.S.
Thanks for the tip about the software.  I read just recently it's better from an electrical noise pov (transparency?) to cut rather than boost (if at all possible and it works out that way)?

P.P.S.
I read on here somewhere about the Comply tips suiting a particular model Westone; and that particular Westone was also a good choice for all genres of music and not better suited to any particular one.  Just can't remember the model.

Thanks again for your help

Dec 18, 2014 at 8:09 PM Post #9 of 9
  Hello H20

Budget up to (but definitely not exceeding) Shure SE535 in-ear or SRH1540 hp

1)  I am trying to find the clearest AND most natural sounding in-ear without being peaky and bright (my glossary is expanding all the time).

2)  Also a closed back hp with the same criteria.

Thanks for your help

P.S.
Thanks for the tip about the software.  I read just recently it's better from an electrical noise pov (transparency?) to cut rather than boost (if at all possible and it works out that way)?

P.P.S.
I read on here somewhere about the Comply tips suiting a particular model Westone; and that particular Westone was also a good choice for all genres of music and not better suited to any particular one.  Just can't remember the model.

Thanks again for your help

I believe the Westone IEM mentioned would be Westone 4 and probably a good place to start, Its extremely versatile, neutral if not just a hint of warmth. It would probably suit you well actually, of course if you can demo these first is recommended. Adding comply will knock some off the top and smooth out the sound, Westone 4 are already rather gentle compared to a vivid hybrid like T-Peos Altone200 (definitely not for you)

I cannot help with a full-size headphone, its not my main area.

Correct, cutting from an EQ is more efficient as you're only subtracting the frequency, when you start adding the software needs to work and in short begins to mess up the sound, specially with cheaper EQ. Its not absolutely something to avoid but more effective by simply subtracting the desired frequency's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back