hyper x Cloud 2 sound signature
Jan 11, 2017 at 7:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

fakeblitz

New Head-Fier
Unfortunately i need new headphones, and i was looking at buying the revolver for 95€, but not sure if i should buy it.

My experience:
vsonic gr07 <- my portable earphones, the signature is somewhat comparable, these having some ear-hurting high's in some frequencies
HiFiMAN RE-400
RHA MA750
Sony MDR-XB950AP
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro - 80 Ohm
Sennheiser HD598

May have tried 2 or 3 more
Even though i was also very sceptical on the whole gaming headset thing absolutely love the cloud 2 sound signature, i kept returning and buying another based on reviews .
Of the bunch i would pick cloud 2 again no doubt, but now that i know my sound signature preference, i would like to know if someone knows an actual upgrade of this sound signature, i need to make a decision ASAP because the revolver is about 30€ in discount.
The revolver supposedly is very close to what i want, very identical sound with more soundstage based on reviews, which is good.
My budget is 120€
I mostly listen to pink floyd, led zeppelin, the doors, system of a down, pantera... rock and jazz 90% of the time.
Mostly in flac albums.
Thank you!

Jan 11, 2017 at 7:41 PM Post #2 of 20
I'm guessing your not going to find any worthwhile big improvement, for a budget of 120 Euros
Over the 30 Euro discounted revolver.

Jan 11, 2017 at 7:59 PM Post #4 of 20
  At the moment, they are at the same price at amazon, i dont mind paying a bit more money if i can get a better set of cans with better sound

You can get better sound if you spend more money, that is for sure. The question to me is, what do you think is your maximum budget? As @Purple Angel has said, 120 euros probably isn't going to get the job done when compared to the Revolver (as you describe it--I haven't heard it, personally).

Jan 11, 2017 at 8:18 PM Post #5 of 20
  You can get better sound if you spend more money, that is for sure. The question to me is, what do you think is your maximum budget? As @Purple Angel has said, 120 euros probably isn't going to get the job done when compared to the Revolver (as you describe it--I haven't heard it, personally).

My budget would be a maximum of 150€, but seeing i can get the hyper x revolver delivered to my doorstep for 94€ i wonder if there are better options

Jan 11, 2017 at 8:35 PM Post #6 of 20

My budget would be a maximum of 150€, but seeing i can get the hyper x revolver delivered to my doorstep for 94€ i wonder if there are better options

The very good AKG K553 Pro is $138.91 at US amazon today. The equally good Soundmagic HP150 is $129.99. As I say, I haven't heard the Revolver but I would be quite surprised if it bested these two strong contenders. Also, are you open to an open headphone? That would really open up options. You might consider it.

Jan 11, 2017 at 8:51 PM Post #7 of 20
  The very good AKG K553 Pro is $138.91 at US amazon today. The equally good Soundmagic HP150 is $129.99. As I say, I haven't heard the Revolver but I would be quite surprised if it bested these two strong contenders. Also, are you open to an open headphone? That would really open up options. You might consider it.

The AKG K553 Pro seems to be only available to the US market
Been reading reviews of the soundmagic HP150 they seem to be pretty good for the value although i didn't found any comparison to the cloud 2/revolver
I would prefer closed cans, but i am willing to try more open cans.
I say this because in my experience closed cans sound more ermh i think the word i am looking for is warm, what would you suggest?

(noticed the pun)

Jan 11, 2017 at 9:30 PM Post #8 of 20
  The AKG K553 Pro seems to be only available to the US market
Been reading reviews of the soundmagic HP150 they seem to be pretty good for the value although i didn't found any comparison to the cloud 2/revolver
I would prefer closed cans, but i am willing to try more open cans.
I say this because in my experience closed cans sound more ermh i think the word i am looking for is warm, what would you suggest?

(noticed the pun)

Personally, I would suggest open for the more open soundstage and precise pinpointing of imaging elements in a tune. There are many good ones in your price range. The Senn HD598 would work, depending on your pricing (so would the HD518). The ATH-AD700X could also work potentially. There is also the Philip SHP9500--very good in your price range. These are all good headphones.

Jan 27, 2017 at 5:56 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:
  Personally, I would suggest open for the more open soundstage and precise pinpointing of imaging elements in a tune. There are many good ones in your price range. The Senn HD598 would work, depending on your pricing (so would the HD518). The ATH-AD700X could also work potentially. There is also the Philip SHP9500--very good in your price range. These are all good headphones.

Sorry for dropping out and not reaching an conclusion, had really bad problems lately.
Need to spend money on a good set of headphones.
I have been researching your suggestions, and since i have tried the 598's and did not liked at them at all(don't really remember the reason).
The AD700X seem to be lacking a bit of bass based on the reviews

I am undecided between shp 9500 and soundmagic hp 150

Jan 27, 2017 at 6:13 PM Post #10 of 20
  Quote:
Sorry for dropping out and not reaching an conclusion, had really bad problems lately.
I have been researching your suggestions, and since i have tried the 598's and did not liked at them at all(don't really remember the reason).

Quote:

Not sure if you want to have an open one for gaming, but if you do, then the decision is easy--get the Philips. That said, the HP150 is a very good closed headphone and would be a clear upgrade from the Cloud with at least a somewhat similar signature, IMO. 

Jan 27, 2017 at 6:15 PM Post #11 of 20

Not sure if you want to have an open one for gaming, but if you do, then the decision is easy--get the Philips. That said, the HP150 is a very good closed headphone and would be a clear upgrade from the Cloud with at least a somewhat similar signature, IMO. 

That's exactly what i want. Although i hear about the design flaw where it may break easily.
I prioritize music over gaming, i was still researching but i think i will buy the hp 150 with the amazon 2 or 3 year protection maybe

Feb 3, 2017 at 7:14 PM Post #15 of 20
  Any time! Have fun with them!

Well bad news.
As i was unwrapping the main cable from the plastic zip thingy that holds it in a compact form, the cable broke off its plastic/rubber cover it felt dry and cheap.
I got to test them for about 2 days before i returned them, they are exactly like the cloud 2, obviously different a tad more detail and soundstage but not very much of a difference really.
Comfort wasn't as good(although i needed to adept the size isn't right for my head) the clamp force was bit weak, pads didn't wrap my ears as well as the cloud's, overall i prefer the clouds 2(shoot me for choosing a "gaming" can over a audiophile-ish cans).

Back again on research, again.
What you feel about the m50x? should i try the hype?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back