Hyland Headphones introduces 2 new models… Venus and Eclispe
Aug 4, 2021 at 9:12 PM Post #16 of 40
From what I remember of Saturn’s design it should make the Peerless driver sound very bright. Large open foam pads being the major reason. Alex got the most brightness which might be best for some people. The large open foam pads probably have a couple other strong traits but I found the tone very dissapointing.

Aug 4, 2021 at 9:17 PM Post #17 of 40
Dude it's a general term saying that I liked his headphones and what he does with those drivers. I don't care what you think about my logic my friend. My ears like what I hear... you can go troll somewhere else
I think general terms are too abstract for comparing nuances of headphones using the exact same drivers.

My poor impressions of Hyland tuning are sincere.

Aug 4, 2021 at 9:19 PM Post #18 of 40
Well you took what I said out of context my friend. I was just basically saying I like how they sound. I wasn't comparing them to any other headphone. Go back to the original Hyland page and you'll find lots of people that like the sound. You can dislike the sound and that's fine but you definitely come across as trolling here.

Aug 4, 2021 at 9:54 PM Post #20 of 40
I thought Saturn was really bright. Not sure if I tried one or two (?). Would have to look back at posts and private messages.

If I recall the early iterations of Saturn were bright as they lacked felt padding over the driver. In fact, I remember Alex sending me an updated tuning kit for the Jupiter that increased bass and reduced brightness if I recall. I much preferred the Jupiter over the Saturn, both for comfort and sonics. I believe Alex is learning a long the way and I'm banking on these newest offerings being better tuned than the Saturn for my preferences, but I'll find out soon enough.

Aug 4, 2021 at 11:00 PM Post #21 of 40
If I recall the early iterations of Saturn were bright as they lacked felt padding over the driver. In fact, I remember Alex sending me an updated tuning kit for the Jupiter that increased bass and reduced brightness if I recall. I much preferred the Jupiter over the Saturn, both for comfort and sonics. I believe Alex is learning a long the way and I'm banking on these newest offerings being better tuned than the Saturn for my preferences, but I'll find out soon enough.
Yes the Jupiter was better with the tuning kit. I also am interested on how his closed back will stand up!

Aug 24, 2021 at 1:14 AM Post #23 of 40
The comments over there are quite interesting. People are expecting one man to be running a company the size of Sennheiser, using expensive manufacturing techniques and what not... when in reality everyone knows that Hyland Headphones always represented — handmade. Raw.

These look and feel like they are handmade because that's exactly what they are.

Someone's son didn't like these when compared to other high-end headphones and want Hyland to be making headphone like the other companies. Hyland is different and that's the whole point, that's why people buy them.

Hyland Headphones look like they have been made in a garage and that's what makes them authentic.

Aug 24, 2021 at 2:25 AM Post #24 of 40
The comments over there are quite interesting. People are expecting one man to be running a company the size of Sennheiser, using expensive manufacturing techniques and what not... when in reality everyone knows that Hyland Headphones always represented — handmade. Raw.

These look and feel like they are handmade because that's exactly what they are.

Someone's son didn't like these when compared to other high-end headphones and want Hyland to be making headphone like the other companies. Hyland is different and that's the whole point, that's why people buy them.

Hyland Headphones look like they have been made in a garage and that's what makes them authentic.
Yup, but that's usually what happens when you have a massive audience of folks from different places in life. I invited Alex to share his thoughts there and it's been fairly productive, although I did shut down the dumb comment about wood being too thick.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2021 at 9:44 AM Post #26 of 40
Ordered the Venus out of interest and will comment in due course. Will see how it compares to the HD800S and my Stellias.
Awesome I will be eagerly anticipating your thoughts.

Oct 21, 2021 at 7:50 AM Post #29 of 40
I’m surprised how good these sound - a warmish tonality with plenty of ”body” and smooth treble. Not a detail freak but very musical with that “pipe and slippers” feel that makes a change from the HD800S and Stax sound.
I would say they’re along the Audeze sound sig. with more hf. Given the UK price of £650 I’d say they would make a welcome addition to anyone’s collection and at a price that makes the general totl range very overpriced.

Oct 21, 2021 at 1:26 PM Post #30 of 40
I’m surprised how good these sound - a warmish tonality with plenty of ”body” and smooth treble. Not a detail freak but very musical with that “pipe and slippers” feel that makes a change from the HD800S and Stax sound.
I would say they’re along the Audeze sound sig. with more hf. Given the UK price of £650 I’d say they would make a welcome addition to anyone’s collection and at a price that makes the general totl range very overpriced.

I totally agree! I've had a pair of Venus for several weeks now and have been enjoying them immensely! Just been dragging my feet a bit with posting impressions. You could say I've been a big supporter of Hyland Audio over the years as I've owned the Saturn, Jupiter, and now the new Venus. I guess I am a sucker for supporting the small, boutique companies out there. With Hyland, each headphone is hand made by Alex and you are directly supporting the livelihood of him and his family. The price of admission and lead time of 3-4 weeks is extremely reasonable considering the time it takes to build and finish these beautiful wood cups. I chose rippled ash for my cups, which I think turned out fantastic!

For me, the build, aesthetics, and tuning have all been improved with each iteration. Let's start with comfort... I am not sure I've had the pleasure of owning a lighter, more comfortable headphone that really does seem to disappear on your head. Each model is exemplary when it comes to comfort. I would say overall, the tuning evolution has gone from a neutral, more reference sound (Saturn) to a warmer, more musical, "fun" sound (Venus) with refinements in dynamics, imaging, and staging along the way.

It is difficult for me to describe how the Venus sounds because every time I put them on, I just get immersed in the music and forget about listening critically, which is a huge compliment. Overall, to my ears the Venus is tuned to have a gentle V-shape that is very tastefully done, anchored by a slightly elevated low end that provides a warm, romantic tonality that I feel is a good match for the indie and classic rock I primarily listen to.

Let's start with the obvious... the low end is quite prominent and provides the back-bone to the warmth and body these headphones possess. While the bass is somewhat elevated, it is not soft, flabby, or loose sounding in any way. We aren't talking basshead levels, but depending on the track, the low/mid bass can get slightly boomy at times, but texture and slam is very good.

I would say the mids are slightly recessed, especially lower mids, yet male and female vocals still carry adequate weight with an extremely euphoric, ethereal quality that really draws you into the music. Mids are natural, cohesive, and provide enough detail and separation to avoid the congested, veiled sense that you can get with something like the HD650. Upper mids are slightly elevated and forward compared to the lower mids and provide very good dynamics with well detailed, clear female vocals that never sound "in your face" or too forward in the mix. While I do think the Venus exhibits very good tonal balance, if I had to nitpick, I would like a slightly more prominent lower midrange with a thicker, weightier male vocal, but this would likely lead to a more intimate sounding headphone and smaller perceived soundstage, so there are trade-offs here.

While the bass is the star of the show, the treble is not an afterthought as it is crisp, extended, and detailed without ever becoming harsh or fatiguing at all. Highs don't draw attention to themselves, but are definitely there when called upon, which lends to a nicely balanced sounding headphone overall. I am sensitive to treble fatigue and harshness, and the Venus does a nice job of avoiding that threshold without coming off as overly dark or recessed in the upper registers. It is a rare combination of smooth and detailed, which I thoroughly enjoy.

I think Alex did a wonderful job with this latest open backed dynamic headphone. It has a very tasteful, warmish romantic tuning with an immersive, addicting, euphoric sound that really lets you focus on the music. What more could one ask for?

Oh, and two pairs of high quality plush earpads are included, one sheepskin and one hybrid. While both are super comfortable, I slightly prefer the hybrid pads as they seem to provide a bit better balance by bringing up the mids just a tad in the mix and reduce the slight v-shape somewhat. The sheepskin pads are a bit more fun sounding, so it really is a toss-up and based on personal preference.

Hats off to Alex for upping his game and producing another high quality headphone at a very reasonable price!

20211021_090024.jpg20211021_090049.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back