Hydra 8/V-Ray VS. Power Plant Premier VS. Thor
Jul 3, 2007 at 8:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

TheGhostWhoWalks

500+ Head-Fier
It's been a while now and while I wouldn't say the magic of listening to my uber-system has "worn off", it's lessened to the point where I'm really starting to realize how badly I need to address my power situation. I live in the middle of the city, and we have power surges/spikes all the time. TV is fuzzy during the day, and on a system as resolving as mine, it's disgusting how much better it sounds late at night (from about 1am to 5am is the sweet spot) compared to the day and evening (6pm-10pm is worst).

So I've narrowed it down to:

Shunyata Hydra 8/V-ray

-The Hydra 8 got superb reviews, and it seemed to set the standard for power condititoners. I'm guessing the V-ray is a souped up version of it, it sounds like a safe bet. Only problem is availability as I don't want to spend $4k for a new one.

Power Plant Premier

-PS Audio works almost exclusively with this stuff and they seem to be pretty reliable. More than anything I like the idea of the PPP maintaining a steady flow of clean/balanced AC to my system. I'm thinking this would eliminate the day/night problems, but I'm wondering what it would do for resolution and musicality compared to the V-Ray and Thor.

Nordost Thor

-Great reviews for the Thor and it seems to be a really different idea. Instead of cleaning incoming power it's a system for delivering the power to your components. I've heard it works wonders for dynamics and resolution and supposedly eliminates noise pretty good too.

Any one here have any experience with any of these products? Any one who's been able to compare them would be especially helpful. I'll likely end up with just one - maybe two - but right now there's no way I can get all three.

Jul 3, 2007 at 9:16 AM Post #2 of 2
I upgraded to the Hydra 8 and V-Ray along with Python power cords, and it made a significant difference in my sources and preamp (at the time a Linn Unidisk SC, Audio Research CD 3, Audio Research PH-7, and Audio Research Ref 3). I have since improved my source compenents and still hear the difference. I have not heard the Thor. Previous to buying the Shunyata, I was using PS Audio Ultimate Outlets and Juice Bars with Shunyata Taipan Alphas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back