Hybrid tube amp for Planar headphones recommendation.
Jul 26, 2023 at 12:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

fallingsnowfy

Head-Fier
After having a taste of what a real tube sound, via Caying ru6. I want to complement the sound even more by adding a hybrid tube amp. I manly need an amp that can have unbalanced output, Im not ready to buy balanced cables, for all my headphones yet. I have research a few Xduoo Amps, but since there is so many of them kind of get confusing. My budged is 250, but i would like to keep it under the 200 USD. I would like to hear advice, Thanks

Jul 26, 2023 at 11:35 AM Post #2 of 13
@fallingsnowfy , for your needs and in your budget, this should definitely do the trick:
EF5FD430-13A1-4793-BEC5-FECE68523AF5.jpeg
(Plus you can try different tubes for different sonic ‘flavour’.)

Jul 26, 2023 at 1:40 PM Post #3 of 13
@fallingsnowfy , for your needs and in your budget, this should definitely do the trick: EF5FD430-13A1-4793-BEC5-FECE68523AF5.jpeg(Plus you can try different tubes for different sonic ‘flavour’.)
Yes i have consider the vali, but i have heard reviewers that had said, that the difference between the Solid state magni and the vali in very Insignificant, to the point were is very difficult to distinguish one form another . Do u have any experience with another Hybrid tube amps? thanks

Jul 26, 2023 at 1:48 PM Post #4 of 13
Yes i have consider the vali, but i have heard reviewers that had said, that the difference between the Solid state magni and the vali in very Insignificant, to the point were is very difficult to distinguish one form another . Do u have any experience with another Hybrid tube amps? thanks
First, differences show up with differences in tubes. Also, planar-magnetic headphones with good clarity and linear response should reveal differences between Vali and Magni.

I have owned / own Schiit Lyr3 (not the +) and Monoprice Cavalli Liquid Platinum. With the right tubes & tube adapters, these headphone amplifiers become extraordinary. Beyond your budget, though.

Jul 26, 2023 at 1:51 PM Post #5 of 13
First, differences show up with differences in tubes. Also, planar-magnetic headphones with good clarity and linear response should reveal differences between Vali and Magni.

I have owned / own Schiit Lyr3 (not the +) and Monoprice Cavalli Liquid Platinum. With the right tubes & tube adapters, these headphone amplifiers become extraordinary. Beyond your budget, though.
Do u think that i could get a Monoprice Cavalli Liquid Platinum, Pre owned for around 200? That amp looks great I seen a few reviews of it.

Jul 26, 2023 at 1:57 PM Post #6 of 13
Do u think that i could get a Monoprice Cavalli Liquid Platinum, Pre owned for around 200? That amp looks great I seen a few reviews of it.
At that price, unlikely. Because of the LP discontinuation, the scarcity value / collector value just rose.

Sep 13, 2023 at 6:29 PM Post #7 of 13
The LP was Awesome with planars!

Sep 13, 2023 at 7:01 PM Post #8 of 13
LP amp just sold on ebay for $221.50 today. I just bought a used LP for $250 shipping included last week. So you will need to stretch the budget at least some

But the Cavalli amp is not that tubey sounding to me. Something like a used Ember 2 has the power to drive planar's and is tubey sounding/ really good sounding if you use a 7N7 for the gain tube.

Sep 13, 2023 at 7:05 PM Post #9 of 13
LP amp just sold on ebay for $221.50 today. I just bought a used LP for $250 shipping included last week. So you will need to stretch the budget at least some

But the Cavalli amp is not that tubey sounding to me. Something like a used Ember 2 has the power to drive planar's and is tubey sounding/ really good sounding if you use a 7N7 for the gain tube.
First of all, Awesome on the prices!
The LP does not sound very tubey since it's a hybrid. But It does have a smooth, beautiful sound depending on the tubes.

I currently have a hybrid amp called the iFi Pro iCAN. "Tube mode" is not very tubey, but it is smooth and sounds noticeably different from SS mode.

Sep 19, 2023 at 2:13 PM Post #13 of 13
Reflector 6N23P/ Voskhod 6N23P/ Sylvania Jan 6922. I like the Voskhod the best with most of my headphones. But the absolute best sound was one particular combo with the Sylvania's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back