Hwo do you guys coil the cable of your headphones?
Apr 8, 2010 at 9:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

sotodefonk

New Head-Fier
Hi guys.

Just curious about how you guys coil the cable of the headphones.

I made a little picture to show you how I always coil mine:

34hjfpg.gif

I ask this because I had the shure's e4c. I coiled them that way and then saved them in the shure's little pouch that came with the headphones.

The thing is after some months using this method, the cable started to kept coiled, similar to a telephone cord and I feel like my way to coil them is wrong.

So how do you guys coil your headphone's cable?

Apr 8, 2010 at 11:29 PM Post #6 of 18
I've never had any issues with the cables outside of the E4 but that wasn't my fault (it was a known manufacturer defect). I do pretty much the same thing but every other loop I do it the opposite way.

To the OP: some cables are just like that. They retain the memory of how you wrap them which is one thing I did not like about the E4 and one of the reasons I refuse to put any significant amount of money on any kind of iem that has cables like that.

Apr 8, 2010 at 11:43 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by rawrster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To the OP: some cables are just like that. They retain the memory of how you wrap them which is one thing I did not like about the E4 and one of the reasons I refuse to put any significant amount of money on any kind of iem that has cables like that.

How can I detect the type of cable?

I just bought an etymotic HF2 and a nuforce NE-7M and the cable is significant softer than hte one on shure's e4.

I guess I should be fine if I keep doing the same habit.

Apr 9, 2010 at 12:14 AM Post #9 of 18
Unfortunately, that method can be harmful over time to your cables. It's better to wrap every other 'circle' the opposite way to equalize the twisting of the cables.
You can see how to here (or you can google for cable wrapping over under) Proper Cable Wrapping | Gearwire
And the UE SF5.Pro cables have the most annoying memory effect ever! Be glad you don't have them, haha D:

Apr 9, 2010 at 3:49 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by sotodefonk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How can I detect the type of cable?

I just bought an etymotic HF2 and a nuforce NE-7M and the cable is significant softer than hte one on shure's e4.

I guess I should be fine if I keep doing the same habit.

You can't detect it? well maybe if you know the material the cable uses. You read up reviews and ask questions.

Apr 9, 2010 at 4:41 AM Post #12 of 18

Users who are viewing this thread

Back