Hurricane Katrina Poised to Flood Big Easy...
Aug 30, 2005 at 2:41 PM Post #31 of 153
Was watching the news this am on the aftermath and I find myself wondering "why the hell didn't you people leave when they told you to evacuate?" It terribly sad to see the damage that was done and the people on roof tops but with all the warning that was given I don't understand the gambling mentality especially for those who have a family to protect. Hopefully people will take the warnings more seriously in the future but it really sad because all it takes is one throw of the dice.

Aug 30, 2005 at 3:58 PM Post #33 of 153
Quote:

I find myself wondering "why the hell didn't you people leave when they told you to evacuate?"

Many of them didn't have a choice. Louisianna has a large poor population. People who can't afford a hotel, or own a vehicle, or have anywhere to go except the SuperDome. Some are handicapped and elderly. I'm certain, particularly in the poorer areas, residents were very concerned about having what little they did own looted in their absence. Plus I would imagine many were in denial. New Orleans hadn't been hit with this serious a hurricane in several generations, so I would imagine despite the warnings ( and news and weather networks , for the sake boosted ratings, are known to sometimes make a mountain out of a molehill,) some simply felt the warnings were exaggerated. They know better now.

Aug 30, 2005 at 4:06 PM Post #34 of 153
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbriant
Many of them didn't have a choice. Louisianna has a large poor population. People who can't afford a hotel, or own a vehicle, or have anywhere to go except the SuperDome. Some are handicapped and elderly. I'm certain, particularly in the poorer areas, residents were very concerned about having what little they did own looted in their absence. Plus I would imagine many were in denial. New Orleans hadn't been hit with this serious a hurricane in several generations, so I would imagine despite the warnings ( and news and weather networks , for the sake boosted ratings, are known to sometimes make a mountain out of a molehill,) some simply felt the warnings were exaggerated. They know better now.

I know... it's really sad and they are saying as many as 80 lives may have been lost. Everything we have and posses is nothing without our health and the ones we love.
It just baffles me to see people on their roof tops with the early warning we had. Does anyone know if they were offering bus or shuttles to the Super Dome or other "safe areas"??

Aug 30, 2005 at 4:21 PM Post #35 of 153
Quote:

I know... it's really sad and they are saying as many as 80 lives may have been lost.

Last night on CNN, Aaron Brown interviewed a female CNN reporter who had just come back from a rescue mission. She had a very difficult time keeping her composure while describing the horror and frustration of hearing the calls for help out of the darkness from people trapped either on their roofs or inside their attics. She also choked up describing the stranded dogs yelping in terror. Apparently they had to call off the rescue because of nightfall and the fact many homes were surrounded by live hydro wires and leaking broken gas lines. They had to leave these people, knowing the water was already filling up attics and was continuing to rise. I wouldn't be surprised if the death toll goes up in the days ahead.

Aug 30, 2005 at 7:06 PM Post #36 of 153
A lot of people maybe couldn't leave But also a lot of people chose not to leave. People who have ridden out hurricanes before maybe lose some fear.

It's sad that the loss of life looks to be high but lots of those people chose to take the risk and they paid with thier lives.

One mayor was quoted as saying "There's some die hards here and they will die hard".

Mitch

Aug 30, 2005 at 7:23 PM Post #37 of 153
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27
This sucks.

What will happen to Mardi Gras?

I would have preferred if Mississippi got it; no offense to Mississippi, but LA has cooler stuff.

-Matt

New Orleans has cooler stuff than just about anywhere...

Aug 30, 2005 at 8:21 PM Post #38 of 153
I don't know what footage you guys have been watching,but Mississippi got it just as bad,if not worse than LA,especially Biloxi and surrounding counties.The Mississippi coast is destroyed.Gary.

Aug 30, 2005 at 11:17 PM Post #39 of 153
Words cannot describe...

topixhurricanekatrinatxd6xe.jpg

hurricanekatrinatxdam1070ms.jpg

Aug 31, 2005 at 12:51 AM Post #41 of 153
I really hope things will get back to normal soon, but it probably will be months.

Aug 31, 2005 at 1:40 AM Post #42 of 153
It’s pretty amazing to me to see some of the finest human traits- all the people helping each other. And the worst- the looting and there were reports of a prison hostage situation.

A frigg’n microcosm of humanity- the best and the worst we have to offer.

Mitch

Aug 31, 2005 at 3:48 AM Post #44 of 153
Awful, awful stuff. They're saying it's going to take 9 weeks to pump out the city, once the water stops rising. If that's true, the entire city is basically destroyed. All the drywall will rot, everything's going to drift away, pollution will soak in everywhere.

It's as if the entire city was just wiped off the map.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back