Hunting for ideal office headphones: closed & comfortable
Mar 25, 2017 at 10:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

alecb

New Head-Fier
I'm wanting to find headphones to use at work:

1. Need to not leak sound to prevent bothering my coworkers (sit fairly close to others, < 5 feet in either direction).
  2. Comfortable! I feel like I get uncomfortable very easily.
    1. Too much clamp bothers me a lot, after an hour or two I'll start to get a headache. I feel like this is a particularly hard requirement to reconcile with sound leakage requirements, since I imagine most closed backs need enough clamp to form a seal and not let the sound out. But I'm not giving up!
      1. I think I might have a slightly larger than average head? Or it might be that I'm just particularlly sensitive to clamping force. But, e.g., I tried Sennheiser's Game One for a bit (for gaming, not office use), and I immediately noticed the clamp and how uncomfortable it was. I had to dig through piles of positive reviews until I found one person also complaing about clamping force. Right now I'm trying HM5s (will probably be returning soon) after hearing from several sources how comfortable they were, and again, put them on and was immediately off-put by the clamp. I'm a little more used to them now, but they still start to get uncomfortable/give headaches after an hour or two.
    2. My ears are on the larger side, so larger earcups would be nice (I think I've also heard that this can help with the clamp, by distributing the force over a larger area). I had Bose QC35s for a while, and the cups felt like they were just barely over-ear for me; the cups always kind of 'clipped' the bottom and top of my ear lobes, and I could only really get them totally in by kind of tucking them in. The contact itself s a little annoying, but I think it also contributed to my ears heating up faster.
    3. Following from the above, my ears get hot very quickly, so something that lets them breathe would be nice. Again, I think this is another thing that's hard to reconcile with sound leakage. :/ This is probably less of a concern for at-work headphones though, because I'm not moving around or anything with them on (would care a lot more if I were commuting with these).
    4. Definitely want something over-ear; on-ears bother my ear lobes.
  3. These will probably be used exclusively at work, driven by a desktop workstation. I'd prefer something I can drive without an amp, but I'll definitely consider cans with higher impedance if they get me the other things I want.
  4. I really don't care too much about sound signature. I think most headphones I've used have been on the more neutral side (1More Triple Drivers, HM5s, Game Zero), but I'd be willing to try something U-shaped (might even prefer that) or really anything else if it has the other things I want.
    1. I listen to a lot of pop, 80s/90s rock, some rap. Sometimes classical/instrumental stuff. I'll also be listening to things other than music often (podcasts, videos, generic background noise kind of stuff).
  5. Budget is <$200, but I'm willing to be flexible if it gets me other things I want. I'm just not looking to go much over that for things like sound quality.

Mar 25, 2017 at 2:50 PM Post #2 of 25
You might check out an M50X and a DT770, both of which are pretty comfortable and isolate fairly well. The 770 can be a wee bit sibilant, just FYI. I am worried that you are going to find it difficult to find something that meets all your criteria. I wonder if you should be looking at an IEM, from a comfort point of view. (a 1More Triple upgrade?). 

Mar 26, 2017 at 8:31 AM Post #3 of 25
You could look at the Ultrasone HFI-580 with some Brainwavz HM5 pads. The 580's are light, well built, comfortable, good isolation, and have a U shaped signature. They do benefit a bit from burn in. I have larger ears like you and the HM5 pads fit over them without issue, and are extremely comfortable because of the memory foam. It's exactly the headphone/pad setup I use for work.

A couple pics of my HFI-580 with Brainwavz pads:

Mar 26, 2017 at 1:44 PM Post #5 of 25
For anyone reading this thread still hunting down comfort information - Beyerdynamics are like wearing a hug on your head.

See, I'm a little wary of things like that. Good hugs have a lot of force - and I don't want the force!

I'd heard the HM5s described exactly the same way, like getting a hug from a leather sofa, so I tried them thinking I'd find them comfortable, but it's the opposite with that much clamp.

That said, I've had the DT770s recommended several times, and I have heard from one review that they had less clamp than the HM5s, so they'll probably be the next ones I try.

Mar 26, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #6 of 25
See, I'm a little wary of things like that. Good hugs have a lot of force - and I don't want the force!

I'd heard the HM5s described exactly the same way, like getting a hug from a leather sofa, so I tried them thinking I'd find them comfortable, but it's the opposite with that much clamp.

That said, I've had the DT770s recommended several times, and I have heard from one review that they had less clamp than the HM5s, so they'll probably be the next ones I try.

Hmm, now you're making me re-think how I phrased it. That's not what I meant at all. It's like getting a hug from a feather. Seriously, it's like wearing air. Have you ever worn HyperX Clouds? It's like that.

I'm sensitive to clamp as well (in fact - I even felt the GameOnes were a little clamp-y like you had mentioned).

Of all of the headphones I've worn, the HyperX Clouds were the only ones that even came close in terms of comfort.

Mar 27, 2017 at 7:42 PM Post #7 of 25
So I just got the DT770s from prime. First impressions... not great. The cups are definitely smaller than the HM5s and do kind of rest on my lower ear lobes. I wish more headphones gave actual measurements for their cups (or maybe I'm just not looking hard enough for them....). Is it worth returning them based on this alone? Ie, if it's resting on my lobes, am I not getting a proper seal for isolation?

In terms of the clamp... they certainly feel different. I'm not sure I'd say it's better for me though? The lateral force feels lower, but it kind of feels like there's more force coming from below and above? That sounds weird but I'm not sure how else to describe it. It feels generally heavier against my head, even though I know when I just hold it up it doesn't feel that heavy.

Either way, I'll try it out for a few more days at least and see how I feel.

-------

Do people have an opinion on the HD 598 Cs? I generally like the feel of the Game Zeros, and 598 Cs look like they're kind of similar in terms of build. I've heard that they don't actually isolate sound as well as a closed headphone should, though.

Mar 27, 2017 at 7:59 PM Post #8 of 25
Sorry to hear that - really thought this would be the magic ticket based on your description. It's tough with a closed-back.

If what's really holding you back is comfort over quality, I would say actually check out a pair of the HyperX Clouds (the original - not any of the sequels). They're hallelujah-comfortable. They don't sound great, but you can wear them forever.

Mar 27, 2017 at 8:01 PM Post #9 of 25
  So I just got the DT770s from prime. First impressions... not great. The cups are definitely smaller than the HM5s and do kind of rest on my lower ear lobes. I wish more headphones gave actual measurements for their cups (or maybe I'm just not looking hard enough for them....). Is it worth returning them based on this alone? Ie, if it's resting on my lobes, am I not getting a proper seal for isolation?

In terms of the clamp... they certainly feel different. I'm not sure I'd say it's better for me though? The lateral force feels lower, but it kind of feels like there's more force coming from below and above? That sounds weird but I'm not sure how else to describe it. It feels generally heavier against my head, even though I know when I just hold it up it doesn't feel that heavy.

Either way, I'll try it out for a few more days at least and see how I feel.

-------

Do people have an opinion on the HD 598 Cs? I generally like the feel of the Game Zeros, and 598 Cs look like they're kind of similar in terms of build. I've heard that they don't actually isolate sound as well as a closed headphone should, though.

have you played around with the adjusters??... If i have my DT770 not adjusted down enough the feel kinda like that I have a 7 3/4 hat size and for me setting to the adjustments to the 2nd dot on both sides is perfect.. very comfortable and not really putting any undue pressure on any part of the my head..

Mar 27, 2017 at 8:10 PM Post #10 of 25
I wonder if you should be looking at an IEM, from a comfort point of view. (a 1More Triple upgrade?). 

Yeah, I was thinking of going that way at one point. I don't know, something just feels nicer about wearing over-ears at my desk than in-ears, but maybe I'm just being driven by fashion and not what'll actually work for me.

Although actually I don't even know if I know how to properly use IEMs. I've looked up how to insert them properly to get a seal but I don't know if I really ever get a good one. I've been casually experimenting with the different size plugs that come with the 1More Triples, but I don't know, I should probably sit down and figure out how to do it properly.

Mar 27, 2017 at 8:13 PM Post #11 of 25

have you played around with the adjusters??... I i have my DT770 not adjusted down enough the feel kinda like that I have a 7 3/4 hat size and for me setting to the adjustments to the 2nd dot on both sides is perfect.. very comfortable and not really putting any undue pressure on any part of the my head..

Yup, 4th dot felt like the right place for me.

Mar 27, 2017 at 9:20 PM Post #12 of 25
  Sorry to hear that - really thought this would be the magic ticket based on your description. It's tough with a closed-back.

If what's really holding you back is comfort over quality, I would say actually check out a pair of the HyperX Clouds (the original - not any of the sequels). They're hallelujah-comfortable. They don't sound great, but you can wear them forever.

You mean these, the headset? https://www.amazon.com/HyperX-Gaming-Headset-KHX-H3CL-WR/dp/B01MTLMV89/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1490663779&sr=8-1&keywords=hyperx%2Bcloud&th=1

I wasn't looking for a headset but I can always pull the mic out I guess (and actually I occasionally may need to talk to video chat with people at work)

Mar 27, 2017 at 9:35 PM Post #13 of 25
  You mean these, the headset? https://www.amazon.com/HyperX-Gaming-Headset-KHX-H3CL-WR/dp/B01MTLMV89/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1490663779&sr=8-1&keywords=hyperx%2Bcloud&th=1

I wasn't looking for a headset but I can always pull the mic out I guess (and actually I occasionally may need to talk to video chat with people at work)

This one specifically (the non-pro version): https://www.amazon.com/HyperX-Gaming-Headset-KHX-H3CL-WR/dp/B00JJNQG98/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1490663779&sr=8-1&keywords=hyperx%2Bcloud&th=1

Yep - the mic pops right off. Also has in-line controls if you're into that sort of thing.

Mar 27, 2017 at 10:09 PM Post #14 of 25

This one specifically (the non-pro version): https://www.amazon.com/HyperX-Gaming-Headset-KHX-H3CL-WR/dp/B00JJNQG98/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1490663779&sr=8-1&keywords=hyperx%2Bcloud&th=1

Yep - the mic pops right off. Also has in-line controls if you're into that sort of thing.

I there something wrong/different w/ the Pro? Drawn to it just for the colors. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back