Humming(?) noise with RCA/Y-Adapter
Sep 5, 2006 at 9:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

fonesgonewild

New Head-Fier
I'm trying to connect pc to stereo with RCA/Y-Adapter(or mini-to-RCA) cable. The problem is that I get this annoying humming noise. First I thought it was the cable, but after searching the net, I came to realize that it's related to the grounding issue.

I ran to the local Radioshack and got myself a "ground-loop isolator" today, hoping that it would solve the problem. Another disappointment to be had, so much for spending hours on the net. This thing doesn't do ****.
mad.gif

Lastly, I tried plugging the powercord to a different location, away from the pc-related ones. No luck here either. The humming is just killing me!!!

Sep 5, 2006 at 9:52 AM Post #2 of 2
fonesgonewild: Is there anything electrically connected to the whole system that's connected to an antenna/cable tv jack in the wall? Then I'd first recommend to unplug these antenna/cable tv connections: If the humming is gone now, you'll need something like the Xantech 634-00 (~ US$ 10). If that doesn't help, then you should probably try a transformer based ground isolator in the audio connection between pc and stereo rig - these are most common as car audio accessories, a usual one in the US seems to be the Pyramid NS-20 (also ~ US$ 10). If neither of these methods work, it going to get more difficult...

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Users who are viewing this thread

Back