Humidity and Headphone Lifespan?
Jul 3, 2009 at 4:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Flouse

New Head-Fier
Hi, quick question:

The room I'm moving into for college next year is going to be pretty humid, it turns out, since I don't have A/C (so I have to keep the windows open) and it gets warm and moist during the summer.

Will having a more moist room have any noticeable impact on the lifespan of a headphone, say, an HD650, or its cable?

Jul 3, 2009 at 6:56 AM Post #2 of 12
Humidity will certainly impact on the lifespan of a headphone. But I guess no one has actually measured the influence. So the suggestion is that always keep your HD650s in the packing box with some drying agents when you don't use them.

Jul 3, 2009 at 8:12 AM Post #3 of 12
If the drivers absorb moisture, then they become heavier and as such wouldn't be able to move as fast and accurately. This definitely will have a tolling effect on the sound output.

Jul 3, 2009 at 10:05 AM Post #4 of 12
When I built my house, my Mechanical Contractor explained something, that I did not know. Air conditioners cool the water in the air, not the air. That is, it creates more humidity to cool your house down. He told me that it would take longer to cool a house down that had its windows open for a day or two, as opposed to leaving the windows closed and run the air conditioner. This is because, by opening the windows, you lose the humidity in the air, making it harder to cool.
So, unless your in a basement apartment, or other high humidity area, I don't know that humidity is that big of a concern, since you are opening your windows to cool down your apartment.

Jul 3, 2009 at 1:43 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Busta9iron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I built my house, my Mechanical Contractor explained something, that I did not know. Air conditioners cool the water in the air, not the air. That is, it creates more humidity to cool your house down. He told me that it would take longer to cool a house down that had its windows open for a day or two, as opposed to leaving the windows closed and run the air conditioner. This is because, by opening the windows, you lose the humidity in the air, making it harder to cool.
So, unless your in a basement apartment, or other high humidity area, I don't know that humidity is that big of a concern, since you are opening your windows to cool down your apartment.

Air conditioners actually dry out the air,thats the reason some people get sore/dry throats in A/C rooms,Some people run Humidifiers to put the moisture Back in the air.

Jul 3, 2009 at 3:22 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by ford2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Air conditioners actually dry out the air,thats the reason some people get sore/dry throats in A/C rooms,Some people run Humidifiers to put the moisture Back in the air.

That would be heat, not air conditioning. I'll go with the advice of someone who has forty years experience in the field.

Jul 3, 2009 at 3:42 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

That would be heat, not air conditioning. I'll go with the advice of someone who has forty years experience in the field.

Well, let's see, I'm afraid you and your friend are wrong on this one. Why not go with the experience of 200 million people who live close to the equator?

How to keep it dry? Dehumidifier or keep your a/c on all the time, not so green at all. Probably a box with dry agents is a better way to go with.

Jul 3, 2009 at 3:48 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Sorry, but you are wrong

I have a humidity meter in my house and my humidity clearly goes down when I turn on central air conditioning. People usually complain of dry throats in an air conditioned environment.

Controlling Indoor Humidity

Jul 6, 2009 at 7:42 AM Post #9 of 12
I don't use A/C, but in any case, I think it does get pretty moist even in the room, since it's warm and rainy/foggy all the time here and the windows are, for the most part, kept open.

But back to my question -- would this type of climate have any significant impact on lifespan or quality?

Jul 6, 2009 at 8:26 AM Post #10 of 12
Yes, it will if the materials absorb moisture. I would recommend buying a window AC or something if you want to be cool and lose the humidity.

Jul 6, 2009 at 2:55 PM Post #11 of 12
1.buy a big plastic box and a bag of dry agent, 2.throw you phones in, 3.seal the lid. walaaaa, problem solved.

Jul 6, 2009 at 11:43 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

If your contractor gave you this info on the AC theory, I would seriously consider getting a thorough inspection on the rest of the house. Seriously anyone who knows anything about AC is that the lowering the temp will allow you to approach the dew point of the water vapor in your house. Hence a phase change occurs and the moisture in the air will turn into liquid form. This is caught by the drain pan in your residential AC unit and drained. The leaving air has less humidity due to this. I hope he didn't use this as an excuse to not install a moisture barrier for the external walls. Seriously you may want to do a thorough inspection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back