Humbly asking for help on sub £200 headphones
Dec 19, 2020 at 6:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

absolutebeginner

New Head-Fier
Hi Head-Fi,

I've been looking at old forum posts, but I can't find anyone who asks this specific requirements. I'm trying to learn more about all this, and have been researching constantly, but I've gotten myself in circles. I live in the sticks and can't try headphones on anywhere anyway b/c C-19...

I'm looking to spend 150-200GBP/£ on a set of new headphones. I'm using a set of Sony MDR-100A currently, bought hastily before boarding a plane a good few years ago -- they're in a Shrek-like green because it was reduced. I know, not great.

My source will be a Sony Walkman NW-A45 -- something I've always been a little disappointed in (I have a capped one because I live in the EU). Not a particuarly powerful player, so I'm looking at lower impedance sets. Will be used exclusively at home.

I listen to a lot of rock/funk/disco -- never EDM, but sometimes electronic (e.g. Arca, The Knife). So mostly in those mid/highers but nice to have something with adequate bass frequencies when it's needed.

Never had open back, but tempted to try!

Fit wise, these MDR-100A are nice, around ears -- big fan of the fit. Had a pair of Bose AE2s a longtime ago and the fit here was good for me too.

I started off looking at neutral monitor-like headphones: Sennhesier 560s seemed like an early winner, but I'm not really looking to buy an amp. I've since learnt that these are maybe going to be a bit 'flat' for listening for enjoyment. The 599s seem like a better option, current £133 here.

Part of me is very tempted just to go for it and get a set of Grado SR225e -- even though the fit and the bass response seem potentially way off.

Sony MDR-7506 was a temptation, a rogue entry, mainly because I love how old Sony gear looks.

Any help would honestly be so appreciated, in a bit of a pickle here.

Thank

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back