Human voice created by instruments per Minimalist Composer
Jul 2, 2009 at 2:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

jazzychu

Head-Fier
Many years ago, according to a radio interview to one of the main composers in the so called Minimalist, they memtioned the discovery of human voice (female?) by repeating the instruments play. I do not recall what were the instruments used.

Does anyone know this story and who was that composer and what piece of music was played?

Jul 3, 2009 at 2:17 AM Post #2 of 4
It wouldn't be James Dashow, would it? Not sure he is or was ever considered "minimalist". I remember hearing a performance of his -- most of them at the time (90's, not sure if early or mid or maybe even late 80's) were of the form, "Performance for ____ and computer generated tape", and one of which was voice. It was really good. Used FM synthesis to generate the tones, and sometimes it didn't sound like the human voice at all, and sometimes it sounded so close, you weren't sure when she (a soprano) stopped singing and the tape started. Apparently, there's also one for tenor.

There's also the Yamaha FS1R -- which has some seriously vocal-like sounds, due to the formant-shaping -- but that wouldn't be due to repetition.

It's too bad scrypt isn't still around -- I bet he'd know.

Jul 3, 2009 at 2:42 AM Post #3 of 4
I suspect Steve Reich is the one but somehow I can not find that interview or other information from Google to confirm that. He does have music in which female voice is used along with various percussion instruments. But I would be more interested in the one without the actual human performer involved but you can still clearly hear some kind of voice appearing from the repetitive rhythm this composer used.

Jul 4, 2009 at 1:10 AM Post #4 of 4
Meredith Monk's Dolmen Music etc?

Not minimalist, but great music using the human voice....

Edit\ Ah, instruments involved. Scratch Dolmen then. But hear it anyways!

2nd guess: Stockhausen? Stimmung?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back