Hum/static noise from amp after using homeplug
May 26, 2015 at 11:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

cyr32

New Head-Fier
So I recently got a homeplug adaptor (TP-Link AV1200) to connect to the internet via ethernet, and they do a pretty great job of that. What sucks is that when I plug it into the wall, my Magni amp starts picking up lots of noise when before they were just about silent. I narrowed the cause down to the homeplug as every time it is unplugged, the Magni goes silent again. Short of simply not using the homeplug when I'm doing some serious listening since I can't return it to the store, is there any way I can get rid of the noise? I heard mentions of RFI and EMI filters on other forums but I'm not too sure if they'd be solving the same issue.

May 26, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #2 of 3
The adapter sends the ethernet signal through the power lines. The signal will sound like noise, and if your amp can't filter enough of that noise then it will make its way into your audio. An RFI or EMI filter is used to filter unwanted noise from your power. In your case the RF noise is in there on purpose, but you still need to filter it from your audio equipment. You do need an RFI/EMI filter, also called a power conditioner.

May 26, 2015 at 7:41 PM Post #3 of 3
Ok thanks for the help! I'll go try it out.

Update: Yup thanks it worked! Though I actually got a belkin surge protector which happened to have RFI and EMI filtering. Now its mostly silent, except for a slight static when I'm surfing but that's alright since I wouldn't be doinf serious listening then

Users who are viewing this thread

Back