Hum issue with Millet MiniMax
Dec 4, 2009 at 3:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

watchluvr4ever

500+ Head-Fier
I purchased my Millet MiniMax from Whiplash Audio about a month or so ago and it has been a great little amp. Recently I dug out my SACD player from storage and started using it again and I am noticing a low frequency hum that I didn't notice when using the amp with my other player(Music Hall CD 25.2). The hum only seems to be in the right channel and I've tried reversing tubes and it's still only in the right channel. I also notice when I move my hand around the right tube without touching it causes the hum to get louder but not when I do it with the left tube. Also if I put my hand on the chassis the hum goes completely away. I am also using Herbie's Peek tube dampers and I don't notice a difference in the hum with or without them. Please help before I go insane!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 9, 2010 at 5:16 AM Post #3 of 4
Sorry for dredging up an old thread, but I just spotted this while doing a search. Here are some questions you might look at:

1. Is the amp anywhere close to the SACD player? I've got a couple of the Sony SACD players and they're not the best for transformer isolation. Tubes can pick up hum from adjacent power sources perhaps more easily than SS amps. If your MiniMAX is anywhere close to the SACD player (or on top), this is a likely cause.
2. You may have a ground loop in the connections. Does the hum occur with another source? You may need to isolate the power ground on the MiniMAX or on the SACD Player (not really recommended)
3. Talk to Whiplash. I'm sure they'll give you support.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 9, 2010 at 11:59 PM Post #4 of 4
That does sound like something to do with a ground loop,especially when you said that the hum went away when you touched your hand to the case. I would say it is probably a combination of what tomb said in point 1 and 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back