Hum in tube amp
Nov 30, 2005 at 8:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Claus1100xx

500+ Head-Fier
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I get this weird hum in both channels from my SinglePower PPX3. The hum is really noticable at around the 9 o'clock position and gets louder from there. The amp is plugged straight into the outlet at a college dorm, so I'd imagine the power isn't as clean as it could potentially be.

If I wiggle on the power cord in the outlet and it sits in a specific position then the hum is gone. It is dead silent and not a hint of hum. Any idea what this could be or what I could do? Does powerconditioning help or is it maybe a power cord issue? Do I need an aftermarket powercord?

Thanks for any help, because it becomes really annoying, especially in classical and jazz music that has a lot of quiet parts.

Nov 30, 2005 at 8:13 PM Post #2 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Claus1100xx
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I get this weird hum in both channels from my SinglePower PPX3. The hum is really noticable at around the 9 o'clock position and gets louder from there. The amp is plugged straight into the outlet at a college dorm, so I'd imagine the power isn't as clean as it could potentially be.

If I wiggle on the power cord in the outlet and it sits in a specific position then the hum is gone. It is dead silent and not a hint of hum. Any idea what this could be or what I could do? Does powerconditioning help or is it maybe a power cord issue? Do I need an aftermarket powercord?

Thanks for any help, because it becomes really annoying, especially in classical and jazz music that has a lot of quiet parts.

The hum is almost surely coming from your wall outlet. It sounds like the wall outlet itself has a loose connection causing a ground loop hum. Try the amp in another outlet and see if the hum disappears. Nothing in the way of power conditioning or power cords will fix this problem.

Nov 30, 2005 at 8:15 PM Post #3 of 9
sorry I forgot to mention that the amp has no hum anywhere else other than at the dorm. so there is not fix to this? the ground loop cannot be eliminated through any other means?

I can't really rip the outlet out, so I thought maybe something would be able to circumvent this problem, like power conditioning or $$$powercords$$$.

Nov 30, 2005 at 8:22 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

sorry I forgot to mention that the amp has no hum anywhere else other than at the dorm. so there is not fix to this? the ground loop cannot be eliminated through any other means?

I can't really rip the outlet out, so I thought maybe something would be able to circumvent this problem, like power conditioning or $$$powercords$$$.

Get the dorm maintenance people to fix the outlet or do it yourself. All thats probably wrong is the ground wire in the outlet is loose. They can take the face plate off of the outlet and tighten the loose wire with a screwdiver ..... and its fixed. Get a knowledgeable dorm mate to look at this for you if you dont feel confident doing the fix yourself. This is the only way to fix the problem. You dont want to spend money on a power fix when you can fix the outlet for free.

Nov 30, 2005 at 8:30 PM Post #5 of 9
thanx will do - thought it to be more complex than that
tongue.gif

the uneducated get edumacated.

Nov 30, 2005 at 11:10 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
Get the dorm maintenance people to fix the outlet or do it yourself. All thats probably wrong is the ground wire in the outlet is loose. They can take the face plate off of the outlet and tighten the loose wire with a screwdiver ..... and its fixed. Get a knowledgeable dorm mate to look at this for you if you dont feel confident doing the fix yourself. This is the only way to fix the problem. You dont want to spend money on a power fix when you can fix the outlet for free.

Please DON'T try fixing this yourself! The power needs to be shut off to that circuit, before ANY repair is attempted.
eek.gif

Dec 1, 2005 at 11:34 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

yeah I kinda doubt maintenance will have a clue what I am talking about when I want them to check the polarity of the outlet.

I doubt the problem has anything to do with polarity. There are three wires .... hot/ neutral and ground connected to the outlet. One of the wires is loose; likely the ground wire. Depending which wire is loose the outlet may stop working all together. Tell them the outlet is intermittant ..... which it is.
wink.gif

Dec 1, 2005 at 5:57 PM Post #9 of 9
You can buy a 3-2 wall adaptor from rat shack to eliminate the third prong and see if that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back