Hum/Buzz - Ground Loop?
Jan 9, 2009 at 5:58 PM Post #46 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Herandu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nothing wrong with the optical connection between Europe and the US that runs along the bottom of the Atlantic ocean.
I am yet to find a single human who can tell the difference between coax and optical in a double blind test.

Coaxial always sounded better to me on both Stello DA100 and Chord DAC64. You can find numerous posts of people experiencing the same, what do you mean "not a single human".

Jan 9, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #47 of 50
I am now totally stumped. To double check I reconnected the DAC using the power cable which has earth disconnected. The noise/hum was back even with no earth!
frown.gif

Jan 9, 2009 at 8:37 PM Post #48 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Coaxial always sounded better to me on both Stello DA100 and Chord DAC64. You can find numerous posts of people experiencing the same, what do you mean "not a single human".

That's because you knew it was coax, so your brains automatically end up favouring the one over the other. Let someone blind fold you and then repeat the test, switching between optical and coax. Then you'll know for sure if you can pick out coax on a rate that is better than an average guess.
Your avatar is not human by the way
wink.gif

Jan 9, 2009 at 8:39 PM Post #49 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by xenithon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am now totally stumped. To double check I reconnected the DAC using the power cable which has earth disconnected. The noise/hum was back even with no earth!
frown.gif

Give me some time to go through the thread again and I shall PM you to check out some things.

Jan 9, 2009 at 8:46 PM Post #50 of 50
Thanks for all the help Herandu, it is truly appreciated. I will be taking the DAC to a hi-fi technician tomorrow so any additional things you think should be checked I'll make sure we test.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back