Huge noise issue with 2MOVE on one computer, not other.
Jul 30, 2008 at 8:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Matcha

New Head-Fier
[Update: I've fixed the issue, I think. See a few posts down for details. Then again, as I was typing this update, I noticed an issue with weird channel-specific volume changes, complete with a little pop. I isolated the issue to XP, so I'm pretty sure it's driver-related more than hardware-related.]

[Update 2: The problem resurfaced after about 30 minutes of playtime. Alas. I'll try a driver update in the morning.]

To clarify: This only happens when using the DAC feature of the 2MOVE.

When connected to my laptop, everything is fine and dandy. Sounds great. A little bit of noise on some songs, but part of that is just that I'm running DT880 from a portable amp.
wink.gif

When connected to my desktop, it's another world entirely. I hooked the amp up to my desktop for the first time today, and it worked fine for a minute or two, then things got crazy. I heard a little crackling, then, suddenly -- noise. So much noise. And more crackling. I unplugged the USB cord, and am now running via the analog headphone out on my old Audigy 2 ZS using internal (9V) power, which is certainly not ideal. No noise, though, so the slightly stuffy sound is less offensive than it otherwise would be!

Being that the DAC works fine on my laptop, I'm hesitant to call this an issue with the 2MOVE, which is why it's posted here, not in portable amps.

Any ideas about what's gone wrong, or how to diagnose/fix it? (I've got a multimeter at my disposal, but I'm rather uncertain how to measure voltage output from a USB port.)

~~trying a different USB cable and port~~

No good. Tried another pair of headphones, too, so it's not that, either.

~~trying laptop again~~

Laptop still works fine. No noise. At all.

Jul 31, 2008 at 6:29 AM Post #3 of 5
I'll get in contact with Jan if I can't figure out what else is wrong.

It's just come to mind, however, that it may well be an issue with the Windows USB driver, not a hardware issue. I'll give that a shot tonight, and check out the voltage on the USB ports tomorrow (found out what the pinout is, so I'll hook up the multimeter tomorrow and verify voltage and amperage is correct).

I did find one other post about this issue with the 2MOVE, too, so I know I'm not the only one! It's too bad, since I'm happy with the amp otherwise.

Jul 31, 2008 at 7:25 AM Post #4 of 5
Update: My EVGA 680i SLI motherboard has two different clusters of USB ports, four on bottom, two on top, each cluster seeming to draw power separately.

I just connected the 2MOVE to one of the top ports, up from the bottom, where I've got my keyboard (2 ports) and mouse (1 port) connected. I've made it about five minutes in, now, without any issues. I was having trouble making it through the first allegro of Vivalid's flute concerto in D (R. 429) before, but have made it into the second, now!

If anybody else should have this issue in the future, this is a possible solution. I'll update if something else goes wrong.

[Update: Something else went wrong! Same problem, just took longer. I'll try reinstalling USB and motherboard drivers in the morning.]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back