HTPC/music setup for $500ish?
Sep 14, 2010 at 10:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

MikoLayer

1000+ Head-Fier

A friend of mine is looking to augment his sound subsystem for his htpc/TV. His main emphasis will be music and then movies, hence he understands that he would benefit from going a quality 2ch rather than a crappy multi channel. As per usual suggestions I have seen here and availability in the US, I have recommended him a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s and a vintage marantz receiver or a t-amp. Since he doesn't have any experience in hi-fi gear, it was hard for me to pick his brain for what he wants; the best I could tell was he doesn't seem to be too concerned about harsher highs, or at least not as easily distrubed as I am. Also, he wants something with thudding bass. On top of all that, he wants to save some $$$. At first I offered him to borrow my Swan M200 mkI for the time being until he moves to a bigger place and get something bigger and better like magnepan MMGs. He rejected that idea without hearing them as he didn't like the slanted look on the Swans, whatever 
rolleyes.gif

So after his own research, he is leaning towards KRK Rokit 8 G2 for $500. I must admit I haven't heard much about them, and only noticed they are active monitors so he won't have to worry about getting an amp. He pointed out, with the 8'' woofers he would be getting better bass response than from the wharfedales. I am not sure if that's the best option for music in that price bracket if SQ is the priority. Couldn't he just get some quality bookshelfs and add a powered sub to go with for better of the both worlds? One last thing to note is that his listening setup is a semi-smallish living room around his TV. Not all that spacious in terms of how far the speakers can be places apart from each other and the listner - say about 10 feet or a bit less in each direction. He might be better off with nearfield speakers right? His max budget is at around $500-$600 for the entire setup including amps if needed, but I think he would be happy if he could get something reasonable with ample bass at a lower price, basically the cheaper the merrier (but quality counts, so $500 is fine)
So after his own research, he is leaning towards KRK Rokit 8 G2 for $500. I must admit I haven't heard much about them, and only noticed they are active monitors so he won't have to worry about getting an amp. He pointed out, with the 8'' woofers he would be getting better bass response than from the wharfedales. I am not sure if that's the best option for music in that price bracket if SQ is the priority. Couldn't he just get some quality bookshelfs and add a powered sub to go with for better of the both worlds? One last thing to note is that his listening setup is a semi-smallish living room around his TV. Not all that spacious in terms of how far the speakers can be places apart from each other and the listner - say about 10 feet or a bit less in each direction. He might be better off with nearfield speakers right? His max budget is at around $500-$600 for the entire setup including amps if needed, but I think he would be happy if he could get something reasonable with ample bass at a lower price, basically the cheaper the merrier (but quality counts, so $500 is fine)A friend of mine is looking to augment his sound subsystem for his htpc/TV. His main emphasis will be music and then movies, hence he understands that he would benefit from going a quality 2ch rather than a crappy multi channel. As per usual suggestions I have seen here and availability in the US, I have recommended him a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s and a vintage marantz receiver or a t-amp. Since he doesn't have any experience in hi-fi gear, it was hard for me to pick his brain for what he wants; the best I could tell was he doesn't seem to be too concerned about harsher highs, or at least not as easily distrubed as I am. Also, he wants something with thudding bass. On top of all that, he wants to save some $$$. At first I offered him to borrow my Swan M200 mkI for the time being until he moves to a bigger place and get something bigger and better like magnepan MMGs. He rejected that idea without hearing them as he didn't like the slanted look on the Swans, whatever
redface.gif

So after his own research, he is leaning towards KRK Rokit 8 G2 for $500. I must admit I haven't heard much about them, and only noticed they are active monitors so he won't have to worry about getting an amp. He pointed out, with the 8'' woofers he would be getting better bass response than from the wharfedales. I am not sure if that's the best option for music in that price bracket if SQ is the priority. Couldn't he just get some quality bookshelfs and add a powered sub to go with for better of the both worlds? One last thing to note is that his listening setup is a semi-smallish living room around his TV. Not all that spacious in terms of how far the speakers can be places apart from each other and the listner - say about 10 feet or a bit less in each direction. He might be better off with nearfield speakers right? His max budget is at around $500-$600 for the entire setup including amps if needed, but I think he would be happy if he could get something reasonable with ample bass at a lower price, basically the cheaper the merrier (but quality counts, so $500 is fine)A friend of mine is looking to augment his sound subsystem for his htpc/TV. His main emphasis will be music and then movies, hence he understands that he would benefit from going a quality 2ch rather than a crappy multi channel. As per usual suggestions I have seen here and availability in the US, I have recommended him a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s and a vintage marantz receiver or a t-amp. Since he doesn't have any experience in hi-fi gear, it was hard for me to pick his brain for what he wants; the best I could tell was he doesn't seem to be too concerned about harsher highs, or at least not as easily distrubed as I am. Also, he wants something with thudding bass. On top of all that, he wants to save some $$$. At first I offered him to borrow my Swan M200 mkI for the time being until he moves to a bigger place and get something bigger and better like magnepan MMGs. He rejected that idea without hearing them as he didn't like the slanted look on the Swans, whatever
redface.gif

So after his own research, he is leaning towards KRK Rokit 8 G2 for $500. I must admit I haven't heard much about them, and only noticed they are active monitors so he won't have to worry about getting an amp. He pointed out, with the 8'' woofers he would be getting better bass response than from the wharfedales. I am not sure if that's the best option for music in that price bracket if SQ is the priority. Couldn't he just get some quality bookshelfs and add a powered sub to go with for better of the both worlds? One last thing to note is that his listening setup is a semi-smallish living room around his TV. Not all that spacious in terms of how far the speakers can be places apart from each other and the listner - say about 10 feet or a bit less in each direction. He might be better off with nearfield speakers right? His max budget is at around $500-$600 for the entire setup including amps if needed, but I think he would be happy if he could get something reasonable with ample bass at a lower price, basically the cheaper the merrier (but quality counts, so $500 is fine)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back