HTPC Amp Question
May 11, 2008 at 8:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

oshox

New Head-Fier
I am planning a new home theater system based around a nice PC. My question is: What is the best way to do the audio output?
I have thought of two possibilities:
1) Run the digital audio (SPDIF) out into a Home Theater Processor and connect the speakers to that. This would be the quick and easy way.
2) Run the individual output channels from a sound card (like a BGears B-Enspirer) into a multichannel amp, such as the NAD T-955. This would provide amplification for 5 speakers, and subwoofers have their own amps, correct?

I really like the second option, because I would have full control of the audio output. Would it work OK without a preamp?

Please discuss.

May 11, 2008 at 11:49 AM Post #2 of 2
In the second case, your computer will be the preamp. Consider that you may have to deal with time alignment issues for each speaker that your sound card's drivers may not be able to correct, in addition to setting proper subwoofer crossovers, etc. (and the hassle of splitting a single stereo 1/8" jack into two long RCA cables for center and subwoofer). If a program suddenly ramps up your computer's volume, your speakers might be damaged.

Finally, most consumer internal sound cards are not good enough for audiophile purposes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back