HTC Windows Phone 8X "Experience audio entertainment exclusively with built-in Beats Audio technology"
Oct 31, 2012 at 4:50 PM Post #17 of 50
Oct 31, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #18 of 50
Quote:
Shouldn't read too much into the Beats branding. Like it was said, Beats is just an EQ that bumps the bass and treble. The DAC and RMAA readings on the phone is still up in the air though. The One X had so-so sound quality with the Tegra 3 SoC and somewhat better quality with the Snapdragon S4. The One S uses the S4 as well, but had some pretty good readings and overall good quality. Both of those were measured with the EQ off, and both had that branding. 

Would you agree with the assessment that the Beats branding is a negative? Is a phone without it better than one with it?

Oct 31, 2012 at 5:48 PM Post #19 of 50
if you can, go down to your local T-Mobile store with your headphones, plug them into the HTC oneX and see if you like it. Beats will add some more power to the phones which sound "better". Is it the "best", no, but you might enjoy it. Apple earbuds? these from a company that just now after five iterations realized the ear is not round. just go down and try them.
A big kudos for going with WP8, I'm a long time wp7/7.5 user.
Tunein radio app has great sound to it, I like it sightly better than the Zune player. I have an HTC HD7
Cheers

Oct 31, 2012 at 6:52 PM Post #20 of 50
Quote:
if you can, go down to your local T-Mobile store with your headphones, plug them into the HTC oneX and see if you like it. Beats will add some more power to the phones which sound "better". Is it the "best", no, but you might enjoy it. Apple earbuds? these from a company that just now after five iterations realized the ear is not round. just go down and try them.
A big kudos for going with WP8, I'm a long time wp7/7.5 user.
Tunein radio app has great sound to it, I like it sightly better than the Zune player. I have an HTC HD7
Cheers

While that is a great idea, the biggest problem I see is that, at least until I buy a pair of IEMs or earbuds, I'll primarily be using the headphones that come with the phone with the phone. My CAL!s aren't exactly the kind of headphones I want to carry with me everywhere I go. This is also why I am hoping the included headphones aren't tragic. I've heard good things (from really unreliable sources) about the included with the 8X. I believe I was told they are IBeats. Even being beats, I am hopeful that they will be decent headphones (at least compared to the headphones that normally comes with phones). Any thoughts on this? Would I be better off just purchasing some $15 IEMs? 

Some of the new features in WP8 look really great. I saw a demo video of the new keyboard, and I was quite impressed. I'm sure the device and message were prepared far in advance to impress the audience, but it was still really cool. He barely pressed the keys on the virtual keyboard after the first word. The phone just kept predicting the next word he'd type. Also, I love the interface and the built in office apps. 

Oct 31, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #21 of 50
Quote:

Would you agree with the assessment that the Beats branding is a negative? Is a phone without it better than one with it?

I would say that the branding has no effect on the DAC and internal audio hardware. Basically that two phones can have that branding and have differing levels of quality. Turning the Beats EQ on is a negative though

Oct 31, 2012 at 11:51 PM Post #22 of 50
Quote:
Quote:

I would say that the branding has no effect on the DAC and internal audio hardware. Basically that two phones can have that branding and have differing levels of quality. Turning the Beats EQ on is a negative though

This was my original assumption as well. The first few replies I got (combined with a review I read online) seemed to suggest that if you turned off the Beats EQ, the sound remained quite poor. The Bass is still really emphasized while the highs fall to really low levels. The Beats EQ applies a bit of a sideways S curve. I hope I described that accurately, I am not very good with the proper terms for things. If you look here: http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/13/htc-sensation-xe-with-beats-audio-review/ and scroll down to round one, you can see what I am talking about. What do you think about that? Is it something that would be easily fixable with a proper EQ? 

Nov 1, 2012 at 2:35 AM Post #23 of 50
Am also curious about the 8X. It seems like an excellent WP8 hardware all around, save for the Beats audio.
Does anyone know if deactivating Beats EQ is possible? Will it result in flat EQ, or like on the Beats-branded laptops, does it shelve off certain frequencies?

Nov 1, 2012 at 2:43 AM Post #24 of 50
From my experience with Beats phones it's the same as the laptops, unfortunately.

Quote:
Am also curious about the 8X. It seems like an excellent WP8 hardware all around, save for the Beats audio.
Does anyone know if deactivating Beats EQ is possible? Will it result in flat EQ, or like on the Beats-branded laptops, does it shelve off certain frequencies?

Nov 1, 2012 at 12:45 PM Post #27 of 50
Maybe we need to wait till people try the phone out before we just pass on it because of the Beats Audio.

I also have to assume it won't sound exactly like the OneX, because of the more powerful head phone amp and different OS.

Nov 1, 2012 at 1:02 PM Post #28 of 50
Quote:
Maybe we need to wait till people try the phone out before we just pass on it because of the Beats Audio.
I also have to assume it won't sound exactly like the OneX, because of the more powerful head phone amp and different OS.

So you can indeed use an external dac (via micro usb) with all these windows phones, but it's still unknown as to whether the Beats eq crap will get in the way?

I was led to believe elsewhere that using a dac via usb was fine on Windows phones..

Nov 1, 2012 at 1:19 PM Post #29 of 50
You may or may note have USB audio , we won't know if windows phone will include this feature and what device it willbe compatible with, so its still up for grabs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back