HTC Touch HD
Nov 26, 2008 at 2:30 AM Post #16 of 27
if u like i can do a review for my Xperia's sound quality?

hardly listened to it since i ve got ipod..

Nov 26, 2008 at 3:25 AM Post #17 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if u like i can do a review for my Xperia's sound quality?

hardly listened to it since i ve got ipod..

I would appreciate any thoughts you have on it. I like the fact that it by default has a 3.5mm headphone jack, unlike a lot of the other recently released smartphones on the market (excluding iPhone).

Though the XPERIA X1 is manufactured by HTC, I wonder if Sony Ericsson designed it to have a dedicated DAC chip. I doubt it, though. It seems only the iPhone puts a moderate effort into sound quality (with the dedicated Cirrus Logic DAC chip). The Meizu M8 is another exception with its Wolfson DAC, but that hasn't been released yet.

Nov 29, 2008 at 2:24 PM Post #19 of 27
Preliminary impressions:

Nice phone. Gonna have to get used to it because it's my first smartphone and my first windows mobile device.

The screen is awesome! 800x480 glorious pixels. Great for watching vids on the move.

Sound quality (through ATH-ES7) is not stellar but not bad either. I'd say it's comparable to my Ipod Video 5G. It has somewhat better soundstage but sound a little more grainy on vocals. Mids are slightly recessed but overall it seems a little more detailed. While the Ipod is slightly more dynamic, the touch sounds a touch flatter. The equalizer on the built in Touchflo music player is pretty good though and jacking up the treble and mids a bit makes an improvement.

Regretfully I don't think either sounds good enough for me to listen to them without a portable amp which I was already suspecting. Gonna leave the Touch to burn in a bit and let myself get used to it though.

Through my uAmp 107B Both sound very similar. Problem is that that amp picks up cell phone static...
I've been wondering if I want to keep lugging a portable amp around. I'm still tempted to get a Sansa Fuze as a dedicated music player.

Dec 1, 2008 at 9:04 PM Post #21 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Agnostic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Preliminary impressions:

Nice phone. Gonna have to get used to it because it's my first smartphone and my first windows mobile device.

The screen is awesome! 800x480 glorious pixels. Great for watching vids on the move.

Sound quality (through ATH-ES7) is not stellar but not bad either. I'd say it's comparable to my Ipod Video 5G. It has somewhat better soundstage but sound a little more grainy on vocals. Mids are slightly recessed but overall it seems a little more detailed. While the Ipod is slightly more dynamic, the touch sounds a touch flatter. The equalizer on the built in Touchflo music player is pretty good though and jacking up the treble and mids a bit makes an improvement.

Regretfully I don't think either sounds good enough for me to listen to them without a portable amp which I was already suspecting. Gonna leave the Touch to burn in a bit and let myself get used to it though.

Through my uAmp 107B Both sound very similar. Problem is that that amp picks up cell phone static...
I've been wondering if I want to keep lugging a portable amp around. I'm still tempted to get a Sansa Fuze as a dedicated music player.

Thanks for the write up. Seems like an awesome device, but if the music quality isn't great, I'd regret a purchase, personally. Maybe the iPhone would be a better choice for me.

Dec 2, 2008 at 11:11 AM Post #22 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vandaahl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the write up. Seems like an awesome device, but if the music quality isn't great, I'd regret a purchase, personally. Maybe the iPhone would be a better choice for me.

I was already expecting the sound quality would not be great so no disappointment there. I just got a Sansa Fuze 8Gb + 8Gb Micro SDHC which is tiny and blows my old Ipod 5G + amp out of the water. (Frankly I didn't expect it to sound as good as it does!)
biggrin.gif

So I got the HTC for video on the go internet and email, and a tiny top of the line SQ music player. I'm all set up for now! (well I'd love to get an ESW9 but that'll have to wait.)
biggrin.gif

Dec 2, 2008 at 11:17 AM Post #23 of 27
Thanks for your impressions. Is the interface smooth and easy to use? Is it very finger friendly (read: stylus not required)?

Dec 2, 2008 at 11:48 AM Post #24 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for your impressions. Is the interface smooth and easy to use? Is it very finger friendly (read: stylus not required)?

It's finger friendly, though my fingers aren't that big. Haven't felt any need to use the stylus. The interface is pretty smooth, delays if any are minimal. It's a really pleasant phone to use and the screen quality is gorgeous. The only small annoyance so far is the fact that in sms and email you cannot tilt the screen, but that can be solved by installing gyrator 2.

Dec 2, 2008 at 12:07 PM Post #25 of 27
I'm tempted to go along the same path that you have:

Pick up a Touch HD and a Sansa Fuze 8GB + 8GB MicroSDHC! I've more or less given up on the Blackberry Storm, which has turned out to be utterly disappointing from a software point of view.

Now I have to balance my funds a little
biggrin.gif

Dec 2, 2008 at 12:35 PM Post #26 of 27
I'm pretty happy with this new setup, less stuff to carry, improved SQ and added functionality (GPS, Internet, Email, FLAC/OGG, Radio). The GPS will come in handy when I loose my sense of direction on one of my photo hikes along the coast of which I intend to do a whole lot more when the weather starts to improve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back