HTC One M9 review "even louder than M8"
May 8, 2015 at 4:13 PM Post #46 of 99
I have had the M7, M8, & the M9- yet, I still prefer the M8's sound.

The M7 lacked detail, but had tight, impactful bass.

The M8 has decent detail and also has impactful bass.

The M9 has very good detail, but the bass lacks impact and authority.

Does anyone else feel the same way? 

May 8, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #47 of 99
Stock ROM with Neutron

Cool. 

Been planning on upgrading from the M7. Only reason I am thinking about it is because the wife needs a new phone. I have come to find out with the M7 that audio is my main priority. If I ever upgrade, the phone has to be able to reproduce good sound over BT (car) and my head/ear-phones (Sennheiser HD 429s/Sennheiser MM 30i). I had been wondering how much better the audio in the M9 was over the M7 when I ran across this thread in my search. It seems like the M9 is substantially better.

Neutron would be my music player except that my music is recorded in the OPUS format. Takes up less space than MP3, sounds awesome and, even though I have no way of really telling any measurable difference, I have read that this lossy format is very very close to lossless recordings when the higher bit rates are used. I am presently using "Gone Mad Music Player" which reads OPUS perfectly fine and it's easy to use. Only complaint is the album artwork is not always spot on but I can manually take care of that if need be I guess. I coupled that player with the V4A and I feel very happy with my results on the M7 so far. Once I learn to tweak V4A properly I know I will have all that I need.

Oh well, getting back on topic, I think I will make the jump to M9 then. I am not into much picture taking so the camera is a non-issue. I am worried about any overheating issues but I believe that is being taken care of or already has been taken care of. 

May 8, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #48 of 99
  I have had the M7, M8, & the M9- yet, I still prefer the M8's sound.

The M7 lacked detail, but had tight, impactful bass.

The M8 has decent detail and also has impactful bass.

The M9 has very good detail, but the bass lacks impact and authority.

Does anyone else feel the same way? 

Only had the M7. By itself, bass was always there all though it was not overpowering (which I liked). I can say that yes, the clarity was very much present as well. I could assuredly say I heard instruments on my head/ear phones that I was otherwise not hearing on other audio equipment. In using a proper music player and a music enhancement app, I got the overall results I needed/wanted with no issues.

M8 - Sounds like a good mid-point right out of the box option then. But if I upgrade, I'd prefer going for what's brand-spanking new right now. I also root my devices and the M7 is fast loosing it's all-out ROM developers to the M8 and now the M9. Would like a phone to give me at least 2 years of ROM development. I am a compulsive flashoholic I guess. 
eek.gif

M9 - Planning on upgrading to this. If in fact the detail is there and lacks bass, I will hope that what I accomplished on the M7 would also help on the M9. Just my 2 cents worth - YMMV.

May 9, 2015 at 8:57 AM Post #50 of 99
I want to buy Fischer FA 4-E XB.

Can u compare M8 vs M9, do u think M8 is good to drive these Beasts?

I always hear Iphone 4 is better than HTC Ones :frowning2:, so desperated at the moment..

May 11, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #51 of 99
I want to buy Fischer FA 4-E XB.

Can u compare M8 vs M9, do u think M8 is good to drive these Beasts?

I always hear Iphone 4 is better than HTC Ones
frown.gif
, so desperated at the moment..

I find the M8 to have better bass than the M9. The M9 has a more sparkly treble, but I find it lacks bass power and punch.

Either of them will drive most headphones to very loud volumes.

May 11, 2015 at 7:21 PM Post #52 of 99
Coming from the Galaxy S4 the M9 has tremendous bass power and punch. The HTC's are beastly compared to pretty much all other phones.

May 15, 2015 at 6:03 PM Post #53 of 99
Hi ,new to the forum :i own an s4 i9500 rooted :how should be audio vs htc m9 stock ?
any sound improvement with htc xda rom ?
tks gio.
p.s:is the thread htc m9 audio dead ?

Jun 24, 2015 at 7:58 AM Post #54 of 99
How are the given earphones with the M9?
I have a Sony SBH-50, the earphones coming with are awfully too bassy (killing mids and highs as well as soundstage), the Hifiman RE-272 I have use a too long cord for it. I got the earphones that came with the M9 still in the nylon bag, are they good enough?
I mean better than the sony entry level IEMs?
How long is the cable? ( I hope not too long)
I don't want to open the nylon bag before being sure they are worth it (better resale value later for the M9)

Jul 26, 2015 at 12:41 PM Post #55 of 99
Resurrecting this thread to say that after some thought and a bit of whisky I have rooted my M8 and flashed Dragon-Fi Audio mod, a new kernel and Fauxsound app. The Dragon-Fi basically tweaks the sonics massively and the Fauxsound allows me to ramp up both the digital and analogue gain of the device. Together, it's a whole new world of portable for me - so glad I took the plunge.

Aug 10, 2015 at 12:09 AM Post #56 of 99
  Just got the M9 today, compared to my Iphone 6 , the sound is more natural and clearer, the iphone just have a bigger soundstage but not by a mile !

After 2 hours of listening, as usual HTC smartphones are very bad at Hi-Res music playback (have M7 since 2 years and recently had the Desire Eye which I sold after 2 days of use '' a very very bad purchase'' ), even if 24bit is supported in the M9, the output has a lot of issues with very sensitive iems below 16 ohms, but everything is fine with mp3 and usual 16bit flacs. The amp is more powerful than the M8 I auditioned some couple of weeks ago.

just wondering, what is wrong with the HTC Desire Eye?

Aug 19, 2015 at 8:18 PM Post #58 of 99
I have heard m8 vs m9 ,and IMHO m9 has better sound.
Lack in bass range do not to confused with muddy sound.no dolby pls ,use neutron app from play store ,and try cobuz for comparations.
Have a good head phones like Klipsch Image X10 (discontinued) and compare your self.
Giovanni

Aug 26, 2015 at 8:35 PM Post #59 of 99
Good evening.
I am resurrecting this thread becuase I've been wondering how this smartphone does versus the Xperia Z3. 
HAs anyone had the chance to try both devices and sharing with me the conclusion?

Aug 31, 2015 at 2:04 PM Post #60 of 99
BlackDog the z3 is definitely a forced to be reckoned with when it comes to sq. I absolutely love the sound of the z3 however it has extremely low headphone output. I find the volumes are more that sufficient when using a very efficient iems(se846 9ohm) sounds gorgeous. The z3 has a very analytical sound signature it is not warm but definitely not ice cold by any means. I find the m9 warmer than the z3 for sure. However there is a certain sense of space that I have not heard on any other smart phone other than the z3 especially in the higher frequencies. The imaging and separation are truly one of a kind imo when it comes to smart phones. If you are a very analytical lister I highly recommend the z3 and of course own a pair of very efficient headphones unless you already own a very nice portable amp and don't mind using it with the z3. If you are looking for pure power and don't plan on using a headphone amp and are looking for something a little more colored with some warmth doesn't get much better than the m9(or iPhone 5s excellent sq and volume as well) The htc m line get very loud and all offer very nice sq without the need of an amp. The z3 will need an amp to get loud with anything more than 30ohms but it sounds oh so fantastic well to my ears at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back