HTC one M 10 vs LG V10 in audio quality
Apr 20, 2016 at 6:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

ChillinSince 96

New Head-Fier
I'm trying to decide between getting the V10 and the M10 based on audio quality alone, which one is better. I see that the V10 has a SABRE 9018 DAC and SABRE 9602 Headphone amp. All the info I can find about the m10's DAC is just that its 24bit and supposedly very good. However Ive seen rave reviews for the V10's audio quality. So if anyone knows which is better or what audio components are inside the htc one m10 that would be greatly appreciated.

Apr 20, 2016 at 6:11 PM Post #2 of 24
Probably just the built-in Qualcomm DAC and a separate headphone amp. That's what HTC usually does. It looks good so far, and the measurements I've seen have been good, but the components don't seem as high quality as what the V10 uses, or else I think we'd seem more specific specs. Hard to say without hearing both though.

Apr 20, 2016 at 6:15 PM Post #3 of 24
Looks like the DAC inside the HTC is probably similar to the V10.  Look at this video starting at 7:50

https://youtu.be/wrWo8sXp1a4?t=471

Apr 29, 2016 at 11:15 AM Post #6 of 24
Hi.
Yesterday just bought a htc 10(it's already out here in Mexico) and I compared with my v10, I used a Fidelio x2.

In short, I didn't hear any significant difference, I dunno what dac uses the 10 but damn sounds good almost in par with the v10, maybe this one have slightly more spacious soundstage and more dry sound, but the 10 is sweetest and more lauder, definitely more lauder than the v10 capped, with aux mode the difference is very slightly, but imo the 10 has better amp. These are short impression, I didn't hear any difference in instrument separation or detail.

So, both are top notch but imo the htc 10 is a better phone.

Sorry for my english. Cheers.

May 4, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #8 of 24
Hi.
Yesterday just bought a htc 10(it's already out here in Mexico) and I compared with my v10, I used a Fidelio x2.

In short, I didn't hear any significant difference, I dunno what dac uses the 10 but damn sounds good almost in par with the v10, maybe this one have slightly more spacious soundstage and more dry sound, but the 10 is sweetest and more lauder, definitely more lauder than the v10 capped, with aux mode the difference is very slightly, but imo the 10 has better amp. These are short impression, I didn't hear any difference in instrument separation or detail.

Thanks, very useful!

May 7, 2016 at 6:34 AM Post #9 of 24
Hi.

Can you please keep updating here on your experience with the 2? So far you're the only one I've found who has both to compare :)

May 7, 2016 at 9:46 AM Post #10 of 24
Thanks for the updates, everyone!

Couple questions to give us a better idea of your source material.

1) Which streaming services are you using, if any? I'm particularly interested in how both phones sound through Tidal (particularly through the UAPP app) on HiFi settings and Spotify @ Extreme settings (320kbs, which is my baseline for acceptable audio).

2) How do these compare using high-quality FLAC files, based on CDs or vinyl rips?

3) Has anyone used these phones with an Audeze SINE?

Thanks in advance!

May 13, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #11 of 24
Hi.

Android Central says the same thing as you. Its as good as the V10. Can't tell any difference.

http://www.androidcentral.com/htc-10-audio-testing-boomsound-evolved

May 25, 2016 at 12:14 AM Post #12 of 24
I would love to see a real thorough review between these 2 phones with multiple sources of music at varying rates of quality being played, different genres etc plus measured objective comparisons.
It will take a lot for me to accept my beloved V10 has been dethroned as the best audio from a phone.

Jun 6, 2016 at 4:48 AM Post #15 of 24
Android Central says the same thing as you. Its as good as the V10. Can't tell any difference.

http://www.androidcentral.com/htc-10-audio-testing-boomsound-evolved

No disrespect to Android Central, but I spent quite a bit of time comparing the HTC 10 and LG V10 and they are different.  For one thing, the LG V10 has a more balanced sound signature whereas the HTC 10 is quite a bit warmer.  I found the soundstage on the LG V10 to be bigger than the HTC 10 and I preferred the way vocals sound.  There is a richness to vocals on the LG V10 that the HTC 10 is lacking, but you only notice it when you compare them.  On the other hand, I noticed the HTC 10 has a more powerful amp and it had better bass impact and rumble.

I think they are both very capable phones on the audio front, so when choosing between them purely in this area, I would consider what kind of sound signature you like and what type of earphones / headphones you will be using.  I personally found the HTC 10 too warm combined with my earphones and most of my test tracks sounded better on the LG V10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back