HTC HD2 or Nexus One as a mp3 player.
Mar 25, 2010 at 12:39 PM Post #16 of 28
Hmm, I just use the Videora one. Slow though.

HTC did a great job with Sense 2.5 on the HD2. I've tried several custom ROMS (Dutty's is excellent BTW), but in the end I've always gone back to the stock ROMs. I'm currently using the HTC SE Asia 1.66 WWE rom. Hopefully the release of the supersonic and Desire will speed up Android ports for the HD2, but I'm not holding my breathe.

Its just say really. I've had nothing but Winmo devices for god know how long now, but Microsoft really left us power users out in the cold with WP7S. I guess its Android for me then. The HD2's large screen does make it excellent for use as a GPS unit in the car though!

Mar 25, 2010 at 12:43 PM Post #17 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by asadkaramally /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a Nexus One IMO it is far better than an iphone as a phone, more customizable, the apps are a not a problem because there are many multiples in the app store. As an mp3 player nothing can beat an iphone.

Android is a good platform for a PDA. But as a handset, Android sucks.

I've reviewed nearly all WM 6.5 and Android-based handsets and the iPhone - there is no good interface available today. WM7 may come close, lets see, though Android needs a lot of work...it feels like an unfinished product in many ways...

Mar 26, 2010 at 3:37 AM Post #19 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Le Le /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Logged in to head fi to ask for a good video-convertor for HD2, can I hijack your thread a bit for that?
redface.gif

i use a programme called Super (2008 version) to convert video clips to 3gp format. conversion speed is reasonable but from what i can tell it uses a lot of CPU power when it is running.

Mar 28, 2010 at 3:46 PM Post #20 of 28
I looked at the RMAA readings of HD2 and noticed high IMD and THD levels. Does anyone know what they mean in real life (not theoretical description). I ask this question because I heard an opinion that RMAA test are wrong and they do not describe the real situation.

What I am afraid of is having a low-bitrate sounding music out of HD2 (like on my crappy Nokia E51 which plays music like if it was only 64kbps).

HD2 owners please describe the sound signature/quality of HD2 compared to recent good sounding Nokias (like N97, N96,N85 ..5800)

Apr 4, 2010 at 7:57 PM Post #21 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheAndre /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you guys heard that HD2 is going to sell for 449$ unlocked and 199$ with 2 year contract on T-Mobile?

So I decided I might buy this beast if it sounds good. I have had iPhone and Nokia 5800 before, and both of them were good, I hope HD2 is not worse.
Can anyone comment on HD2 sound quality?

If HD2 is not good then I might consider buying Nexus One. Again ,the same question : does N1 sound good?

I have only tryed the sound from youtube on my HD2 with Denon AH-D5000, and compared it to the my other so called music phone SE W995, and the HD2 destroys it. Had not expect that. Yes the sound was good to my ears.

May 27, 2010 at 8:27 AM Post #22 of 28
I'm also wondering about the sq of the Desire. However; what's all the fuzz about the I-phone beeing a great sounding mp3 player? It's not! Baaaad treble with annoying sibilance as it's greatest weakness. I've been AB testing against my nokia 5800, using fantastic sounding Porcupine Tree, Rush and Joshua Redman albums through both my Denon Ah-D2000 and the Porta pros. No competition! The only things better on the I-phone is that it has more volume and more bass power (not quality). Anyway, I am on the marked for a new phone that can replace my good old 5800, and I really hope the Desire will fit the bill :)

Jun 8, 2010 at 10:18 AM Post #23 of 28
hey guys, I'm also looking at these phones to be used as mp3 players. anyone know if the HD2 supports headphones like the Etymotic HF2? it would be nice to be able to use the buttons to pause and skip tracks. also, for those that own the HD2, do you know of any line-level out options?

Oct 4, 2010 at 8:14 AM Post #24 of 28
I think the only decent sounding big-screen smartphone is Galaxy S. At least it is an upgrade from Nokia 5800 in terms of everything including audio quality.

Oct 4, 2010 at 1:50 PM Post #26 of 28
You guys are scaring me off of ever buying a smartphone if they sound as bad as all that!..

...I'll just have to wait till Cowon enters the mobile phone market, otherwise I'll have to keep two devices handy. Phone+Browser & DAP.

Oct 4, 2010 at 2:13 PM Post #27 of 28
my HTC Incredible sounds good as a music player. of course it's rooted and i am running a root only app called DSP Manager along with a different audio library file so results may be different on a stock one. there is a slight hiss between songs when using high sensitivity IEM's but it cant be heard when playing music.

Oct 5, 2010 at 1:05 AM Post #28 of 28

Quote:
You guys are scaring me off of ever buying a smartphone if they sound as bad as all that!..

...I'll just have to wait till Cowon enters the mobile phone market, otherwise I'll have to keep two devices handy. Phone+Browser & DAP.

I would be lying if I told you I wasn't disappointed when I tried listening to tunes, but it does excel as a movie viewer and I would literally be lost without the GPS.  I justified it because the phone, with discount, didn't really cost anymore than a dedicated GPS unit and it is better in a phone since you always have it with you and you never know when you might need to use it.  But yes, unless my unit is simply defective, I wouldn't buy a smartphone with dreams of audio nirvana.  Keep in mind that when I say the HD2's sound sucks, I am comparing it primarily with Apple Ipods which are said to be inferior to your Cowon so I REALLY don't think you would be impressed.

I do wonder if it is a hardware issue or if it is software related.  Unfortunately, the internet, usually a source of vast information, doesn't seem to have a lot of info on the HD2 other than advertisements.  One guy did hack Android onto his Windows Mobile HD2, but it evidently had stability issues.  Now, that you've got me thinking about it, I am starting to get pissed off.  I've got a perfectly good 16gb micro card doing nothing and if the HD sounded even average I could end my search for a larger player.  As it stands I guess I could velcro my 6g Nano to the phone as a testament to its' lackluster audio performance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back