HTC HD2 or Nexus One as a mp3 player.
Mar 17, 2010 at 11:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

TheAndre

100+ Head-Fier
Have you guys heard that HD2 is going to sell for 449$ unlocked and 199$ with 2 year contract on T-Mobile?

So I decided I might buy this beast if it sounds good. I have had iPhone and Nokia 5800 before, and both of them were good, I hope HD2 is not worse.
Can anyone comment on HD2 sound quality?

If HD2 is not good then I might consider buying Nexus One. Again ,the same question : does N1 sound good?

Mar 18, 2010 at 5:05 AM Post #2 of 28
I have a Nexus One IMO it is far better than an iphone as a phone, more customizable, the apps are a not a problem because there are many multiples in the app store. As an mp3 player nothing can beat an iphone.

Mar 18, 2010 at 8:35 AM Post #3 of 28
Both of your phones and both of these phones were tested by gsmarena.com. Putting the loaded/unloaded test issue aside, I think both the HD2 and Nexus One turned out to be slightly noisier than the iPhone and similar, if not better than the 5800. So for most intents and purposes you should be fine.

For HD2 PocketPlayer is a nice music player if the built-in stuff doesn't work for you, if I were buying a Nexus One I'd also look into third-party music player apps.

Mar 18, 2010 at 1:08 PM Post #4 of 28
The tests on gsmarena worry me, i do not like the bass roll-off on both HD2 and Nexus One. Do you think it is because they do not use load? Seems like HD2 is less noisy compared to nexus one.

Mar 18, 2010 at 7:51 PM Post #6 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Al4x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol, sounds like i may as well get rid of my UE triple fis, cause im getting the HTC desire!

Interesting. Why would you get rid of greatest IEMs? Do you think that HTC Desire has poor SQ and you need to match it with poor quality IEMs?

Mar 18, 2010 at 9:10 PM Post #7 of 28
everyone seems to think these phones have worse SQ than the iphone, im comming from an iphone, i also know that if something has a poor SQ and you listen with it on high quality earphones, you pick up all the imperfections

the desire has the same hardware as the nexus one

Mar 18, 2010 at 9:37 PM Post #8 of 28
Compared to my Zune HD, my Nexus One sounds... strange. For example, the drums in the intro of Pink Floyd's Time fall off in an unnatural way. It sounds almost as if the dynamics have been compressed a bit and the overall sound is much less interesting to listen to. It's not necessarily bad but it's certainly not audiophile grade.

The noise is inaudible at normal volume in my test setup (Fiio E5 -> Head-Direct RE2/HD-595)

Mar 18, 2010 at 9:42 PM Post #9 of 28
MCC, thanks for feedback! I had similar feeling when I listened to Droid, which ,unlike Nexus one, hissed like cheap audio cassette.

Al4x, as far as I know all modern high end phones have dedicated audio hardware (unlike old phones like N95 and etc). So I am pretty sure that HTC Desire should not be worse than non-3gs iphone. Keep your triple.fis
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 18, 2010 at 9:54 PM Post #10 of 28
i would hope so, ive got a great priced contract with it on pre order as the iphone 1st gen is almost dead!

i got my desire for £25/mth 18mths 300mins 300 texts and unlimited net
couldve got a better contract with the hd2 but no win mo 7 so i went android
[wouldve prefered hd2 tbh]

Mar 18, 2010 at 10:58 PM Post #11 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Al4x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i would hope so, ive got a great priced contract with it on pre order as the iphone 1st gen is almost dead!

i got my desire for £25/mth 18mths 300mins 300 texts and unlimited net
couldve got a better contract with the hd2 but no win mo 7 so i went android
[wouldve prefered hd2 tbh]

Well wm7 is going to hit HD2 unofficially (considering that Microsoft is testing wm7 on HD2s , yeah thats ironic ). There are also chances of android ROM for HD2. However , your device,in terms of hardware, is pretty much HD2 (except screen) so you should not really care. Awesome plan, in USA you would have to pay much more.

I can't wait till 24th of March. It is the day when HD2 will sell 450$ unlocked.

Mar 25, 2010 at 10:49 AM Post #12 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by righteousball /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Both of your phones and both of these phones were tested by gsmarena.com. Putting the loaded/unloaded test issue aside, I think both the HD2 and Nexus One turned out to be slightly noisier than the iPhone and similar, if not better than the 5800.

hi, thought i'd chip in. i had the iPhone 3GS for 3 months before i traded it in for the HTC HD2. i used my CK7 with them to play pop, acoustic live music and jazz.

to my ears, the HD2 does have a bit more background noise than the iPhone, and for some reason i cannot understand, i find the HD2 takes more time to switch between tracks.

Mar 25, 2010 at 11:15 AM Post #13 of 28
If you store your music on your microSD card, then thats probably why its slightly slower than the iPhone.

I have an HD2. Great phone, but probably the last Winmo phone I'll buy.....Winphone7 just isn't what I want.

Mar 25, 2010 at 11:25 AM Post #14 of 28
yes i think you are right. the music is on the microSD. the HD2 is a monster though, especially with some tweaks and mods from xda developers.

my first winmo phone, coming from UIQ and the iPhone, i think it's the most customisable of them all, but a bit cluttered and not as user-friendly out-of-the-box as the iPhone OS.

i gave up the iPhone because i really didn't get along with iTunes.

Mar 25, 2010 at 12:13 PM Post #15 of 28
Own a HD 2 since yesterday, and I quite like it, even the speaker is more than the standard noisemaker. Haven't used it much yet, but the UI is pleasant, the hiss is less than on walkman X1060 (not ahrd to beat that) and I got an 8gb card with it so this might be the first phone I'm gonna use as a mediaplayer.

Logged in to head fi to ask for a good video-convertor for HD2, can I hijack your thread a bit for that?
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back