HTC Evo Sound Quality
Jun 24, 2010 at 5:44 PM Post #16 of 50
iPhone 4 it is for me I guess, unless the Droid X is all that for multimedia playback. And as it stands it seems that Samsung is the only real SQ challenger in the smartphone arena.

I do believe that the galaxy S has DNSe and other sound enhancements in the media player settings - and their might be other Samsung phones on the way w/these features as well. If the SQ is as good as the standalone players they make - then it will most definitely have SQ that is SUPERIOR to the iPhone - and model.

But I'd still go w/an iPhone 4, as it's the most complete package and has the most apps & games to kill boredom. Besides, is the SQ all that bad? i don't think so, YMMV.

Jul 2, 2010 at 12:48 AM Post #17 of 50
I find the EVO to be quite good tbh. There are only two problems though:

1. Battery life is a little low, but you can easily manage with a few task killer apps and some underclocking lol. A 3rd party battery might not be bad either.

2. There is a tiny bit of hiss, but it's hardly a deal-breaker.

This thing has globs of bass. It's a stark difference between my Zune HD. I actually don't mind it's warmth, but some people might.

Jul 13, 2010 at 1:08 AM Post #19 of 50
I'm starting to strongly consider the Droid X now. It seems like an Evo but with better quality parts all around. Hopefully, sound quality is one of those better quality elements.

Jul 13, 2010 at 1:13 AM Post #20 of 50
Android in general has never been great for audio.  From what I've heard the Evo is pretty good, but has horrid battery life.  The Droid X looks good but Motorola isn't the greatest company.  I just got the Vibrant, aka the Galaxy S, and seems like a great phone.  Haven't gotten a chance to check out the music player yet, so hopefully its good.

Jul 15, 2010 at 2:44 PM Post #22 of 50
Either I've either gotten used to it or it actually sounds better after use, but I like the evo sound now.  There's only one music app with an EQ right now, which I do think would help, but it apparently changes the entire system's eq.  

Jul 17, 2010 at 6:13 PM Post #23 of 50

Quote:
Either I've either gotten used to it or it actually sounds better after use, but I like the evo sound now.  There's only one music app with an EQ right now, which I do think would help, but it apparently changes the entire system's eq.  

What's the name of the app?

Jul 19, 2010 at 12:15 AM Post #26 of 50
I just got the iPhone 4 and I think it's audio quality is better than the 3GS, it drives my D5000s really nicely.

Jul 19, 2010 at 11:38 PM Post #27 of 50

Quote:
iPhone 4 it is for me I guess, unless the Droid X is all that for multimedia playback. And as it stands it seems that Samsung is the only real SQ challenger in the smartphone arena.

I do believe that the galaxy S has DNSe and other sound enhancements in the media player settings - and their might be other Samsung phones on the way w/these features as well. If the SQ is as good as the standalone players they make - then it will most definitely have SQ that is SUPERIOR to the iPhone - and model.

But I'd still go w/an iPhone 4, as it's the most complete package and has the most apps & games to kill boredom. Besides, is the SQ all that bad? i don't think so, YMMV.

+2 on the galaxy s
i have the galaaxy s, had it for a week now, i was waiting for the iphone4 but availability in my corner of the world is set to late august to september and i cant resist the deal i got from my carrier for the galaxy s
the player is good, eq preset and custom eq and all
the player also has an auto setting in eq which reads(i think) idtags on the file for genre info and sets the corresponding preset. Cant edit the genre preset as well as make your own preset set to whatever genre you like tho, that would have been perfect.
My minor gripe is that the player has no remote control support other than launch player, play and pause from the inline mic button. It would be nice to have the usual press twice to next track and press thrice to go back or support for those headsets that has forward /reverse as well as play and stop buttons

It also has the 5.1 virtual surround which is pretty good, made my triplefi's soundstage a lot more bigger.
The sq is better than the 3gs i think, i wasnt able to do a proper a/b because i had to get rid of my 3gs before resale drops too low due to the iphone4.
Also i think the dac of the galaxy s is the same in the cirrus chip

also i went into the system of the galaxy s and saw that the background service for the player(audio & Video) is named coreplayer. I have no info of coreplayer being ported to android. I think coreplayer is still essentially a winmo app.

Jul 20, 2010 at 10:50 PM Post #28 of 50
+3 for the Galaxy S.  Sound quality is as good as my Sony NWZ-S639.  I would say that is has a more detailed sound signature which would balance well with a warmer IEM.  I sounds great with my custom re-shelled UM3X.

Jul 26, 2010 at 11:23 PM Post #30 of 50

Quote:
Also wolfson confirmed that their dac was used in the Galaxy s and other newer samsung android and bada phones

Which Wolfson DAC?  A good one or bad one??  The last article I read said Wolfson was out of the game and on the verge of financial collapse.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back