HTC 8X Observations & Testing
Dec 5, 2012 at 12:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

foolsgold1986

100+ Head-Fier
Audio Compatability: aac, wav, mr, mp3, m4a, asf, wma,
Video Compatability: m4v, asf, wma, 3gp, 3g2, mp4

First impressions: The screen is exceptional. They us gorilla glass 2 which provides it with a great deal of durability. Very pretty but not a great selection of color. I am happy with it though so like I care. But don't plan to match it with your outfit. But don't worry that has never been my concern. The back seems to be very sturdy. I got a case but I don't think it is necessary.

OS and Programs: The audio on the phone give the option of beats audio which can be turned off if you are not into that kind of thing. My experience so far with it is it is not bass heavy like you would expect. I have noticed sounds I have not heard with my iphone 4. The EQ for iPhone 4 are poor but I am not going to discuss much more of that. Just do not ignore because of your hate for beats or buy because of your love for beats because it will in both cases not live up to your expectations.

The windows 8 is easy so it works well for those that are noobs to smart phones. If you are smart phone junkie well there are not a lot of apps but the ones they offer are great. The customization is not very good. For instance, you can customize the ringtone but not the alert tone.

Audio: I am still in the midst of testing but I will tell you what I have so far. I have already talked about the beats. Not impressive but it beats(unintended pun) the iPhone 4 hands down. The only issue I have with it is that it had issue with the wma audio that I used. I suspect that it is is the encoder I use that might not be encoding it in a way entirely compatable. It was encoding at 24 bit and it does not seem to work with the beats audio or possibly the os very well. But do not worry CDs are 16 bit. I have not tried aac but that is because I have found that codec to require higher bit rates for the same quality of a wma. I tried MP3 converted by iTunes and they sounded horrible but worked fine. Converted at 192 and 16 bit. Mp3 is an out of date audio codec and it really only in use due to it being used basically by all portable devices. I just encoded my CDs by dbpoweramp which should prove to work better if the end result sticks to 16 bit. The great thing I guess for audiophiles is that wav works with it but sadly flac does not. I would of loved flac. The problem with using audiophile standards is that the phone does not have a microsd card slot so what you get is all. When I got the phone there was only 16 GB size. I wish for a bigger size. So I highly recommend wma to give you enough music to keep you entertained instead of using an uncompressed audio file like wav. The sound with that one flaw is still great.

Battery: When I first got this I thought the battery was horrible. But with a simple battery saving option that only goes into place when it is about to die the battery lasts about 26-28 hours. I use it all day at work to listen to music and don't have to charge it. The screen is a very nice size and the reason why I say that is that the screen is one of the biggest drains of power for phones. Yet, this phone still keeps a good charge.

P.S. The audio I just converted will be tested tomorrow to see if there are any issues. I do not see there will be a problem in the future but you never know. I will update tomorrow after further testing. So, avoid free ac and go for dbpoweramp. Dbpoweramp costs some money but it does a fantastic job every time. I do wish this thing had ogg codec built in. I do love that codec. I do love this phone though.

Update: 12/6/12
I figured out why there is some issues with certain codecs. The problem was either wma 10 or the 24 bit that it encoded into. It is hard to say that the moment. The WMA 9.2 codec I used has shown no issues as expected. Also, I am not sure if I was entirely accurate with which providers carry this phone so do check. I got mine from verizon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back