HT Omega Fenix PCIe audio glitching/freezing
Aug 18, 2021 at 11:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

TrantaLocked

100+ Head-Fier
**EDIT**: The solution that worked for me was to uninstall the HT OMEGA driver in Device Manager after the Win 10 driver package has already been installed. Then the generic driver for "High Definition Audio Device" from May 2020 takes over, and functionality still works. Since this does appear like a driver problem I really believe HT Omega should release their own update driver that fixes the audio glitching problem. Other than that the audio quality is very good. I don't usually get the buzzing people report from the headphone and line outs, and if it happens it's rare and only when there isn't audio playing. Paired with my Philips SHP9500 EQ'd (link in signature) the sound quality is very clean and pleasing.

I had my Fenix installed primarily for the S/PDIF COAX output but I decided to try out the analog outs and found both for the 10-pin headphone out and Front audio out, I tend to get audio glitches like audio freezing for a second, and I even experienced a full system crash that required a hard reset. I haven't had a freeze like that on my computer in years. This doesn't happen with my onboard Realtek chipset. The driver for the card is from 2016.

I tried doing a few things. I took out the card, cleaned the contacts and slot and reinstalled, I reinstalled the driver, I did the "BCDEDIT /SET DISABLEDYNAMICTICK YES" command in elevated CMD, I changed audio modes, I enabled the Xear Audio Center, I tried disabling and enabling other audio devices both in the sound control panel and in device manager, and nothing has helped. LatencyMon didn't show any serious problems with latency.

A really easy way to trigger the audio glitch is to have a video or stream with audio playing and then to spam click the Windows volume slider piano sound. Without fault the glitch happens within thirty seconds. But it also happens randomly on its own.

I sent an e-mail to HT Omega to ask them to make a new driver.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2021 at 10:54 PM Post #2 of 3
C-Media makes the drivers.
Last driver updated listed by HT Omega is about 5 years ago
Have you tried disabling the onboard audio, in the BIOS?
Slight chance of conflict with drivers.

Aug 22, 2021 at 1:59 AM Post #3 of 3
I had only disabled Realtek in device manager. But after you mentioned it I went to disable Realtek in BIOS, and the audio glitch didn't happen with the HT Omega driver installed, but then I re-enabled Realtek in both BIOS and device manager and it still wasn't happening even though it was consistently doing so before under the same conditions.

For now I'm just gonna use the generic Windows drivers. The only losses are lack of stereo mix in Sound properties and inability to use the Xear audio center. Functionality is the same otherwise and I can count on Microsoft better maintaining the generic driver into the future.

I also have a few OP amps coming in the mail from Mouser. I chose the the "OPA2134PA" part number as I see it recommended often for sound cards and it does have very low distortion levels according to the datasheet.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back