HT OMEGA ECLARO vs Fenix
Jun 17, 2018 at 7:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

x7007

100+ Head-Fier
What I actually want is the Xear Headphones Surround with the best quality / DAC this card gives for Headphones/5.1 Speakers.

I don't need all the Dolby or Optical things .

The big different between this card are the options you get from the Eclaro Dolby Surround , Neo and such . the Fenix only have the Xear .

But of them have different chip . Fenix has the CM8828 and the Eclaro has CIM8788 and some other changes with the DAC and some PCI technology for example

• PCI 2.2 interface with bus mastering and burst modes
  • 4 synchronous I2S output pairs
  • 4 synchronous I2S input pairs

Will be there a different in Sound Quality ? should I safe go on the Eclaro even when I don't need all the other things expect Xear ?

I have External AMP MayFlower Electronics Objective 2 that I will connect and won't use the card own AMP.

Jun 17, 2018 at 12:26 PM Post #2 of 5
What are the prices for the two sound cards?

The Fenix's get's it's DAC function from it's own CM8828 audio processor (DSP).
Where as the Eclaro comes with an add-on DAC chip (AK4396K), so the Eclaro (stock) should offer better audio quality

The Fenix would be the better option, if it can output it's Xear headphone surround sound thru it's optical port?
As for around $65 you could add (at a later date?) a Hifimediy external optical DAC (plugged into the Fenix)
Fenix > DAC > O2 > headphone

This $30 sound card appears to be a lower costing version of the Fenix.
https://www.amazon.com/Syba-SD-PEX63081-Surround-CM8828-Chipset/dp/B00FWFNY92
At a latter DAC you can add any optical input DAC you like (Hifimediy, Schiit, etc)

Jun 17, 2018 at 1:27 PM Post #3 of 5
What are the prices for the two sound cards?

The Fenix's get's it's DAC function from it's own CM8828 audio processor (DSP).
Where as the Eclaro comes with an add-on DAC chip (AK4396K), so the Eclaro (stock) should offer better audio quality

The Fenix would be the better option, if it can output it's Xear headphone surround sound thru it's optical port?
As for around $65 you could add (at a later date?) a Hifimediy external optical DAC (plugged into the Fenix)
Fenix > DAC > O2 > headphone

This $30 sound card appears to be a lower costing version of the Fenix.
https://www.amazon.com/Syba-SD-PEX63081-Surround-CM8828-Chipset/dp/B00FWFNY92
At a latter DAC you can add any optical input DAC you like (Hifimediy, Schiit, etc)

The fenix is $85 the eclaro is $185
So I guess I'll buy the eclaro I prefer the best quality for the Hd800S and the best surround. this way I'll have higher quality dac + xear headphones surround 24bit 96hz + better quality than my asus raid dlx or asus xonar phoebus that I used and also way better 3d surround and quality than Gsx 1000.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2018 at 5:34 PM Post #4 of 5
The fenix is $85 the eclaro is $185
So I guess I'll buy the eclaro I prefer the best quality for the Hd800S and the best surround. this way I'll have higher quality dac + xear headphones surround 24bit 96hz + better quality than my asus raid dlx or asus xonar phoebus that I used and also way better 3d surround and quality than Gsx 1000.
The Eclaro comes with an amplifier headphone jack, so plugging an external headphone amplifier (O2) into the Eclaro's headphone jack is double amping, not recommended, but sometimes is not really a big issue.
Plugging the O2 into the Eclaro's Front speaker jack, would be a better analog signal feed, to the O2, but would no longer have the use of Xear.
(but as you have 5.1 speakers, guess you have to use the headphone jack)
So maybe try the O2 in both jacks, see which sounds better, or maybe there will not really be any real difference, in sound.
What headphones do you use?

Jun 18, 2018 at 3:42 AM Post #5 of 5
The Eclaro comes with an amplifier headphone jack, so plugging an external headphone amplifier (O2) into the Eclaro's headphone jack is double amping, not recommended, but sometimes is not really a big issue.
Plugging the O2 into the Eclaro's Front speaker jack, would be a better analog signal feed, to the O2, but would no longer have the use of Xear.
(but as you have 5.1 speakers, guess you have to use the headphone jack)
So maybe try the O2 in both jacks, see which sounds better, or maybe there will not really be any real difference, in sound.
What headphones do you use?

Hd800s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back