HT Omega Claro Halo XT + DT-990/250s
Feb 9, 2009 at 10:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Sargonnas

New Head-Fier
Im looking for a new soundcard (onboard SoundMAX sucks), and Im having a difficult time choosing. My current setup is onboard sound, DT-990/250 and a Total Airhead amp. The amp Im looking to sell and replace with something that can properly handle these headphones. I came across this soundcard with a built in amp that claims it can do up to 600ohm.

Any opinions on this soundcard? Will it power my headphones better than this amp? Is.. double amping possible? Primary use is gaming (FPS) and music (Metal).

Feb 9, 2009 at 11:46 PM Post #3 of 6
I hadnt actually looked into it because of the bs Ive heard about their EAX 5.0 issues. Looking at it though, it seems like a really nice card.

Is this what you all would recommend for gaming with the DT990/250s? Should I still use my AIrhead with it? Another Ive looked at is the Auzentech X-Fi Forte. The last soundcard I bought was a SB Ensoniq... so I think its about time I get a proper soundcard, and dont mind spending a little extra.

Feb 12, 2009 at 7:23 PM Post #4 of 6
So I ended up going with the Auzentech X-Fi Forte... kinda disappointed that its not sounding as 'good' as the onboard junk.. but Im sure most of that can be fixed by tweaking the settings more (which is a major pain, especially when you barely know what youre doing). Ive also only got one album in FLAC currently, and games dont exactly have the highest quality audio, so Im sure Im just hearing all the flaws in it. Hopefully I can get it down right.

I do have some moe questions though.. Ive currently got my headphones plugged into the Total Airhead, and the TA plugged into the headphone jack on the Forte. This isnt going to cause problems is it? Is there a suitable unamplified jack to plug it in to? Would going TOSLINK to a DAC out to an amp be best?

Feb 12, 2009 at 9:44 PM Post #5 of 6
Currently, I own the HT Omega Halo and love it. At one point, I owned a little dot MK V amp and set it up similarly to your rig Halo -> MK V -> D2000. That particular setup was stellar to my ears. So no you are not going to do any damage; however, you may wish to consider an HT Omega Claro Plus+ seeing how you already have an amp. My Halo drives the D2000s just fine, but I still miss my Little Dot MK V. Cant comment on toslink to DAC...

Feb 12, 2009 at 11:49 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sargonnas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I ended up going with the Auzentech X-Fi Forte... kinda disappointed that its not sounding as 'good' as the onboard junk.. but Im sure most of that can be fixed by tweaking the settings more (which is a major pain, especially when you barely know what youre doing). Ive also only got one album in FLAC currently, and games dont exactly have the highest quality audio, so Im sure Im just hearing all the flaws in it. Hopefully I can get it down right.

I do have some moe questions though.. Ive currently got my headphones plugged into the Total Airhead, and the TA plugged into the headphone jack on the Forte. This isnt going to cause problems is it? Is there a suitable unamplified jack to plug it in to? Would going TOSLINK to a DAC out to an amp be best?

Um, I really wouldn't recommend plugging the Forte's headphone out into your Total Airhead. The TA is meant to receive a line-level signal, but the Forte's HP out is amping the signal before sending it out. So right now your amping the signal twice, which at the least will most likely distort the sound you are hearing and at worst will burn out (or at least shorten the working life of) the TA.

Plus, I suspect the HP out on the Forte is a better amp than the TA to begin with. The TA is a decent amp for what it's designed for (portable use), but it was designed with battery power in mind so I'm sure compromises were made in its ultimate amping ability in order to increase battery life.

So I really recommend you either plug your phones directly into the Forte's Headpohone out, or if you want to use the TA plug the TA into the GREEN connector on the Forte's I/O cable dongle...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back