HT Omega "Claro Halo" Headphone Only soundcard
Nov 2, 2008 at 7:23 PM Post #76 of 374
The trouble with RMAA, is when you do loopback mode, many of the modern cards have a much better playback section then recording. The RMAA results will always be limited by the weakest section which is usually the recording section on these consumer cards. To note: THD and other distortion measurments are the result of both sections.

@odigg, are you using the latest Direct X with patches etc? I had some weird results with a RMAA and when I asked the guys who wrote the application they said you can get wierd readings for certain tests if your using a older version of DX. You may want to try this if things are looking a bit off to you.

Nov 3, 2008 at 4:16 AM Post #77 of 374
I've also seen same card with huge difference in RMAA test results from different reviewer/sites.

I think the system and the configuration does make RMAA only for reference.

Nov 3, 2008 at 5:17 PM Post #78 of 374
RMAA is a tool, If used correctly it can give you much good information about the soundcard your testing. However if you don't know what you are doing or how to interpret the results you will get the wrong info from the applications and the info will be useless.

Nov 6, 2008 at 2:42 PM Post #79 of 374
Hello,
I am new here. I just found this site looking for info about the Zero DAC/Head Amp on Ebay. Then I found this thread which looked interesting. I have a few questions and am seeking some advice.

I just got a Hella good deal on Byerdynamics DT 770 for $108 at Amazon. The phones are burning in and sound kinda grainy to me. However I'm sure it is because how i am listening to them. I have a HT Omega Stryker 7.1 running Klipsch Promedia 2.1's. I am jacked into the Headphone Jack on the Promedia Speaker set. So I came across these options:

1) Creek OBH-11 split off the line out from the HT Omega. Not real keen on splitters though.
2) Zero DAC with the HDAM unit with Digital out from the Stryker 7.1 I have now.
3) Upgrade to HT Omega Claro Halo for it's Head Amp

I figured I could also add the Zero DAC HDAM later if I didn't like the Head amp of the Claro Halo.

The Creek's are pretty reasonable on ebay. The Zero DAC looks nice.

As far as sound quality, how would you guys rate these options?

I posted to this thread because I am interested in the HT Omega cards. My experience has been real good with the company and it's products.

Thanx!

Les

------------------------------------------------------------------
---Les Garten--- Leave the gun, take the cannoli -- Fat Clemenza

Nov 8, 2008 at 10:28 AM Post #82 of 374
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello,
I am new here. I just found this site looking for info about the Zero DAC/Head Amp on Ebay. Then I found this thread which looked interesting. I have a few questions and am seeking some advice.

I just got a Hella good deal on Byerdynamics DT 770 for $108 at Amazon. The phones are burning in and sound kinda grainy to me. However I'm sure it is because how i am listening to them. I have a HT Omega Stryker 7.1 running Klipsch Promedia 2.1's. I am jacked into the Headphone Jack on the Promedia Speaker set. So I came across these options:

1) Creek OBH-11 split off the line out from the HT Omega. Not real keen on splitters though.
2) Zero DAC with the HDAM unit with Digital out from the Stryker 7.1 I have now.
3) Upgrade to HT Omega Claro Halo for it's Head Amp

I figured I could also add the Zero DAC HDAM later if I didn't like the Head amp of the Claro Halo.

The Creek's are pretty reasonable on ebay. The Zero DAC looks nice.

As far as sound quality, how would you guys rate these options?

I posted to this thread because I am interested in the HT Omega cards. My experience has been real good with the company and it's products.

Thanx!

Les

------------------------------------------------------------------
---Les Garten--- Leave the gun, take the cannoli -- Fat Clemenza

You might see if you can adjust the settings on your card. Some allow you to manually assign the jacks for different things (so you could plug the headphones into the main left/right analog out which should be amplified, but then plug the speakers into a different jack and feed them effectively the same signal). I don't know if that card is capable of it, and also you might consider opamp rolling on it if that is an option with that card. It could save you some hassle if you're happy with the card. There's little doubt the Claro Halo would probably be better for you though.

Have you plugged the headphones directly into the sound card yet? That'd probably be better than going through the jack on the speakers.

Nov 8, 2008 at 11:18 AM Post #83 of 374
I am about to purchase a Little Dot MK V amp in the next few days here. I currently have an X-FI in my PC and was looking around at some USB DACs, but would it be okay to just use this sound card going to my MK V? Would that produce better sound quality than my X-FI to my MK V?

Thanks for any advice.

Nov 8, 2008 at 1:07 PM Post #84 of 374
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkswordsman17 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You might see if you can adjust the settings on your card. Some allow you to manually assign the jacks for different things (so you could plug the headphones into the main left/right analog out which should be amplified, but then plug the speakers into a different jack and feed them effectively the same signal). I don't know if that card is capable of it, and also you might consider opamp rolling on it if that is an option with that card. It could save you some hassle if you're happy with the card. There's little doubt the Claro Halo would probably be better for you though.

Have you plugged the headphones directly into the sound card yet? That'd probably be better than going through the jack on the speakers.

Hi,
Interesting concept about assigning jacks. I've never seen that on a soundcard before. I jumped in last night and bought the Zero Dac w/Headphone amp. I'll come out SPDIF to the DAC from the Stryker. Use the Zero DAC headphone Amp. and come out of the Pre-outs of the DAC to the speaker amp. I think that will do it. If not I'll upgrade to the Halo if I think I need better digital out.

Thanx!
Les

Nov 8, 2008 at 11:39 PM Post #85 of 374
Quote:

Originally Posted by arfett /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am about to purchase a Little Dot MK V amp in the next few days here. I currently have an X-FI in my PC and was looking around at some USB DACs, but would it be okay to just use this sound card going to my MK V? Would that produce better sound quality than my X-FI to my MK V?

Thanks for any advice.

the problem here is your source, which makes a big difference (bigger difference than amps ime). your source (x-fi) is subpar for music listening, and all the MKV will do is amplify the crappy signal. it won't magically make your music sound better. it might help sound quality slightly by decreasing the output load on the soundcard, but the signal quality will remain the same. if you get the MKV (an excellent amp), you'll need a good source to really notice a difference. i recommend getting either a good soundcard like the claro plus, or better yet, a standalone DAC like you mentioned. trust me, the x-fi is significantly inferior to all the aforementioned alternatives.

Nov 9, 2008 at 12:36 AM Post #86 of 374
Hi,
Along these lines, I am buying the Zero DAC w/Head Amp for my DT 770's. Will I see much of a differnce from the SPDIF output of my Stryker 7.1 compared to the Claro+ or the halo?

Les

Nov 23, 2008 at 5:51 PM Post #87 of 374
I currently run my PC's optical output to a Zero DAC/AMP to Sennheiser HD-650 cans. The setup sounds pretty darn good. However, I may help a friend out by giving him the Zero and purchasing a new sound card - the HT Omega Claro Halo. The Halo has a built-in headphone amplifier and is supposed to be top-notch, but I wonder if it would sound better or worse than the Zero DAC/AMP I am using now. The Zero cost a little under $200, the Halo costs a little over $200, and I would be helping out a friend if I do this. However, I do not want to replace the Zero with the Halo if the sound quality will suffer.

Advice por favor?

Nov 23, 2008 at 6:34 PM Post #88 of 374
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garret Jax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I currently run my PC's optical output to a Zero DAC/AMP to Sennheiser HD-650 cans. The setup sounds pretty darn good. However, I may help a friend out by giving him the Zero and purchasing a new sound card - the HT Omega Claro Halo. The Halo has a built-in headphone amplifier and is supposed to be top-notch, but I wonder if it would sound better or worse than the Zero DAC/AMP I am using now. The Zero cost a little under $200, the Halo costs a little over $200, and I would be helping out a friend if I do this. However, I do not want to replace the Zero with the Halo if the sound quality will suffer.

Advice por favor?

I answered you also in the Zero thread. I didn't pay attention to your Headphones. I have the same phones. Personally, I think you are makin' a mistake. The Senn's are noted for sounding better, the better the amp is hooked up to them. If I were you, I would send an email to HT Omega and ask them their cards output into 300 ohms. I am getting ready to buy a 2 watt output amp for my Senns. I have Little Dot MK V and it ain't quite enough, sounds great though. The LD MK V is connected to the Zero Preamp outs bypassing the Headamp in the Zero.

Dec 20, 2008 at 3:38 PM Post #89 of 374
The JRC4580 opamps that come with this sound card are intended to be replaced (according to their website and manual). I've been listening to a set of lm4562's and the sound quality is improved, but I think it isn't as warm as the JRC4580 so I want to start trying out random opamps to see what is good on this sound card. Anyone got suggestions? I'm thinking about buying 2 opa2134 and 2 lt1364, and maybe 4 of those single version of the opamps I'm using now (lme49710), just to see if there's any audible difference vs. dual opamps and since I got browndog adapters. I don't want any opamps above $10 each though. Btw, what's the difference between putting the lm4562 in front and jrc4580 in back vs. jrc4580 in front and lm4562 in back in this link?

HT Omega

Dec 20, 2008 at 4:29 PM Post #90 of 374
not sure what the going price for the AD8620BR's is, but i'd recommend them as i enjoyed them more than the LM4562 and the JRC4580 both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back