HRT Music Streamer vs Apogee Duet
Feb 19, 2011 at 2:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Spinosaurus

New Head-Fier
I am in need of a audio quality DAC and an ADC.  I was thinking of getting an HRT Music Streamer for the DAC but ran across the Apogee Duet when examining possible ADC's.  The Apogee also does DAC but is mainly used by people who record and play music so none of the reviews talk about the DAC capabilities.  Can anyone in this forum address the quality of the Apogee Duet for converting digital audio back to analog audio?  and if possible compare it to the quality of the HRT products.  Thanks.

Mar 16, 2011 at 12:15 PM Post #2 of 7
For what It's worth, I'm very satisfied with the output sound quality of my Duet.  Paired with my Denon D2000 it has cured my upgraditis for now.  I only use the input ADC for digitizing my vinyl (via Garageband)...no complaints.  No experience with the HRT.

Mar 16, 2011 at 1:22 PM Post #3 of 7
Thanks for the reply Mikehattan.  I'm assuming since the output to your headphones is excellent it would be similarly excellent feeding my stereo system which is my intent.  What products did you try before you found the Duet?

Mar 17, 2011 at 8:54 PM Post #4 of 7
I have an iBasso D2+ DAC/AMP that paired really poorly with my D2000.  Ended up with Duet since it seemed like one of the best DACs under US$500 based on the research of posts here on H-F.  

THe ADC was a plus.  I was totally confident with the Firewire interface.  I like the fact that I can control the input gain.  Allows me to use a TT without a phono amp.  I just use an RIAA eq plugin in Garageband and ground the TT to the duet chassis.

I haven't used the line out so I can't comment.  Good luck.

Mar 17, 2011 at 9:04 PM Post #5 of 7
This may answer some questions you could have. IMHO, JP #'s does not F around, and his word is pretty solid when recommending gear, not the only ears or word, but he has a lot of experience....

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/282021/apogee-duet-dac-rocks

Mar 17, 2011 at 9:19 PM Post #6 of 7
I like my Streamer II, but its difficult to ignore the incredible number of recommendations for the Duet : for the price, it has long been regarded one of audio's screaming bargains. Get it.

Mar 17, 2011 at 10:58 PM Post #7 of 7
Thanks all, for some reason I thought the only output was the headphone outlet which didn't appeal to me although everyone glows about the ADC section my question was focused on the DAC section.  I'm pulling the trigger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back