HRT Music Streamer HD reviews, impressions and comparisons
Mar 3, 2013 at 12:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 89

lithium1085

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everybody,

2013 is bringing a ton of USB DACs and we are spoilt for choice. Has anybody tried out the new music streamer HD which is HRT's new flagship USB DAC. It supports upto 24/192 with a fully balanced topology. It would be great if people can also contribute their experiences with the Meridian explorer and the audinst HUD mx2. Looking forward to listening to your experiences

Mar 5, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #2 of 89
Well maybe the spec sheet will pique some interest.....

Full Scale Output 2.25 V RMS (RCA), 4.5V (XLR)Output
Impedance 50 Ohm (RCA), 50+50 Ohm (XLR)
Frequency Response (20 Hz / 20 kHz)-0 dB / -.2 dB
Noise Floor (DC to 30 kHz)5 uV RMS (RCA), 9 uV (XLR)
S/N Ratio (DC to 30 kHz)113 dB (RCA), 114 dB (XLR)
S/N Ratio (A-weighted)119 dB (RCA), 122 dB (XLR)
THD+N (1 kHz Full Scale).002%
THD+N (1kHz -20 dB).0002%
Jitter contribution (DC to 30 kHz)>144 dB below full scale
Isolation> 500M ohm
Sample Rateup to 192 kHz
Bit Depthup to 24 bit
USB transfer protocol asynchronous
Power Requirements (USB Buss)480 mADimensions3.8" x 6.0" x 3.0"

Mar 7, 2013 at 8:23 PM Post #3 of 89
I have them with my Dynaudio BM12A, they are quite high resolution, very clear and linear. I haven't compared them directly to my MS Pro, but feel that the sound again is clear and more resolved, less meaty sound. I don't have experience with any other high-end DAC though.

Mar 8, 2013 at 11:40 AM Post #5 of 89
Quote:
I have them with my Dynaudio BM12A, they are quite high resolution, very clear and linear. I haven't compared them directly to my MS Pro, but feel that the sound again is clear and more resolved, less meaty sound. I don't have experience with any other high-end DAC though.

Interesting.....It is supposedly an improvement of the Music Streamer Pro which has good reviews.....At this price it would be good if they implemented other inputs too

Mar 10, 2013 at 4:18 AM Post #6 of 89
Upon a short comparison, I found MS HD to be more resolved, clearer, better micro details, blacker background, slightly less thick in mids and lowers (maybe due to better clarity), smoother less grainy sounding, more natural overall.

The improvement in resolution is very noticeable to me.

Mar 10, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #7 of 89
Quote:
Upon a short comparison, I found MS Pro to be more resolved, clearer, better micro details, blacker background, slightly less thick in mids and lowers (maybe due to better clarity), smoother less grainy sounding, more natural overall.

The improvement in resolution is very noticeable to me.

Do you mean the older pro version or the new DAC HD?

Mar 11, 2013 at 11:12 PM Post #9 of 89
the front of ms hd has 1.0 and 2.0. is this indicator light or a switch?

wonder if u are using windows pc and if set at usb2 it can automatically select the appropriate driver to decode all resolutions no need to push any button?

Mar 12, 2013 at 8:30 PM Post #10 of 89
Quote:

wonder if u are using windows pc and if set at usb2 it can automatically select the appropriate driver to decode all resolutions no need to push any button?

I believe they have put that option for people using older computers so that there are no compatibility issues. It will definitely be plug and play except perhaps for 24/192 which should require a driver for windows. check this out too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgpwVDQzfH0

Mar 13, 2013 at 5:16 AM Post #11 of 89
my questions not answered !!!

wonder if u are using windows pc and if set at usb2 it can automatically select the
appropriate driver to decode all resolutions no need to push any button?

not even the video you linked here gave me the answers

Mar 13, 2013 at 8:00 AM Post #12 of 89
Quote:

wonder if u are using windows pc and if set at usb2 it can automatically select the

It is a switch (according to the Description on HRT's site). The switch might be a way to plug and play <= 96kHz files on Windows without installing anything (Mac/Linux wouldn't need anything for up to 192kHz as far as I know). Not sure about the "automatic selection" of drivers as you posted...not much in the way of manuals/other documentation yet on HRT's site.

Mar 13, 2013 at 9:47 AM Post #13 of 89
Quote:

It is a switch as you can clearly see in the video.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back