HRT Music Streamer HD reviews, impressions and comparisons
May 15, 2013 at 2:00 AM Post #76 of 89
I figured I would throw in a post since I just received my MS-HD from Amazon today. 

First and formost I can finally crank my amp up to full and not hear even a slight buzz out of it even with sensitive IEMs. The sound is great. All sample rates work flawlessly in USB 2.0 on my MacBook Pro. The balanced outputs run hot and are indeed full range. The RCA outputs also have a nice high voltage swing and produce good results when hooked up to my Meier Corda HA-2.

I really like it.

May 15, 2013 at 10:20 AM Post #77 of 89
[size=small]I just recently acquired the Streamer HD and had a listen this weekend. In the HiFi+ review Alan Sircom mentioned that without being "correctly fettled" the Streamer was very "meh". I have to completely agree. Now mind you that my current reference DAC is a dcs 954 (pro DAC retailing over $7k) so it's a bit unfair comparing the two. I'm also comparing to the Bryston BDA-1. Just merely stating my point of reference. I've got an ifi iUSB on order so we'll see how it elevates performance, but by itself, the Streamer HD is a very run of the mill budget DAC.[/size]

May 15, 2013 at 10:30 AM Post #78 of 89
Would it be fair to state that streamers are still in it's infancy and needs to be developed further? A lot of folks I've talked to about computer music feels that's the future of digital audio.

May 19, 2013 at 11:44 PM Post #80 of 89
Quote: Kevin Halverson HRT
They are driven from the same differential output stage, but have individual resistive build outs.  Unless the unbalanced load is excessively low, there will be no impact on the common mode balance of the differential output.

Kevin Halverson
CTO
High Resolution Technologies, LLC

Should work fine for normal equipment, check input impedance if you're concerned. Most devices have fairly high input impedance.

May 20, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #82 of 89
I am it's an excellent DAC, the price is great for a device that has properly built out S/E and balanced outputs.
I've had two other DACs, one FireWire Audio interface (aimed towards professional audio) and one Matrix M-Stage DAC, both had some noise on the outputs with no audio playing. With the HRT MS-HD there isn't even a hint out noise on the output with my amp cranked up full, "not" hearing that made me incredibly happy immediately, the sound is good nothing sticks out and nothing is missing, it's doing its job perfectly.

If you want something that is going to have filters and change the sound consider another DAC or get a pre-amp to go with it. I'd choose the latter.

Jun 23, 2013 at 4:41 AM Post #83 of 89
Quote:
I just returned mine, so I may not be much help, but I had lots of clicking/dropouts when I first got mine. They were less frequent when I switched USB ports, but went away completely when I used a hardware buffer of 25ms. I was using wasapi too, but through jriver. I don't know if that will work for you.

Hi amvolante, could you tell me where to adjust the hardware buffer in Windows 7? The dropping off went away for a while now it is getting common again.

I would really appropriate it if anyone can share their experience fixing the loud buzz.

Jun 23, 2013 at 8:31 PM Post #84 of 89
Loud buzz?

My HD has been the most quiet source I've used, I was delighted by that fact. I don't see what would cause a buzz outside of a ground loop in your system. Maybe a bad cable.

Jun 24, 2013 at 3:34 AM Post #85 of 89
Quote:
Loud buzz?

My HD has been the most quiet source I've used, I was delighted by that fact. I don't see what would cause a buzz outside of a ground loop in your system. Maybe a bad cable.

I was referring to signal dropouts or what some think is electrostatic discharge discussed here.
Quote:
I had that problem with the music streamer pro and other dacs. Best I could tell it was from electrostatic discharge. I have a full size pc and when I put the dac and amp on the case so they were touching, no more problems with static. The loud burst is because the USB signal is getting lost and the clock screwed up. It took me a long time before I learned that, after trying separate powered hubs that didn't work for me.

There is a loud buzz sound from the dropouts.

Aug 1, 2013 at 11:44 PM Post #86 of 89
What are some other DAC's in this price range which also do 24/192 with balanced out?  My current DAC is the Halide DAC HD which has been wonderful so far but I just got a new amp with balanced outputs and I also need the ability to play my higher rez 192K files which the Halide cannot do.  I would hope the MS HD is at least as good as the Halide which has a very clean and liquid like sound.  

Drop Stay updated on Drop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/drop https://twitter.com/drop https://www.massdrop.com/?clickid=3QR3Ib27lyA-VkBRJwyGuQJeUkhUQvX5r0tLzQ0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=VigLink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1
Dec 4, 2013 at 8:25 AM Post #88 of 89
HRT has provide new firmware and drivers for running USB Audio 2.0 24/192 under windows. 

I've used under Windows 8.1 24/192 without any problem, also works great with foobar/WASAPI or ASIO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back