HRT MicroStreamer vs. Meridian Explorer... help me choose ?
Nov 7, 2014 at 3:30 AM Post #32 of 34
  I've now had a chance to test both the microStreamer and the Explorer. Let me start by saying I think these are both excellent products and I'm sure you'll probably be happy with whichever you choose.

I was more interested in the HRT as I was hoping to be able to use a single DAC with both my laptop (MBPr 15") and smartphone (Xperia Z3 Compact), and perhaps also occasionally with my tablet (iPad Air). Unlike the Explorer the HRT doesn't require a separate headphone amp with some smartphones so it seemed like the perfect solution.

I never got around to testing the HRT on the iPad, which I've heard works well. The HRT sounded very good on the MBPr, big step up from the MBPr's built-in audio. However, it wouldn't work the Xperia Z3 Compact even though I tried it with multiple apps including USB Pro, Walkman, Plex, and multiple USB OTG cables. Kevin from HRT was really helpful in trying to troubleshoot the issues with the Z3 but still no luck.

So...with the smartphone out of the picture as an option I decided to break the seal on the Meridian Explorer's box. The Explorer now seemed worth taking a look at since whichever DAC I went with was now going to be used nearly exclusively with my laptop.

In head-to-head comparisons using primarily DSD files on Audiravana and then also FLAC files via Plex Home Theatre I have to say the Explorer has a noticeable edge. Bigger and lusher soundstage, clearer details, and warmer in way that I think will allow me to enjoy longer listening.

Again, both great products but the Meridian (particularly now that it only costs $149, which is less than the HRT microStreamer) was my choice and the HRT will be heading to eBay.

Is your Explorer the later version with the lower output impedance?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back