HRT MicroStreamer vs. Meridian Explorer... help me choose ?
Jul 17, 2013 at 10:03 AM Post #16 of 34
thanks for the info.
I was able to upgrade by guessing which of the .bin file to use. (the firmware.zip has an old instructions manual, and has no information about the microstreamer)
i was expecting a much more pronounced difference between ipad's internal DAC and the HRT. I think there is a difference, but not night & day....

Sep 15, 2013 at 7:38 AM Post #19 of 34

Hey, as long as you're willing to keep the discussion rational and balanced .....  

OP, hopefully you've been around fanboys long enough to totally ignore such one-sided 'recommendations'. The mere inference that HRT dont know what they are doing is laughable. I'd like to hear them both - that's the only way to know which one is right for you.

Agree with both of you, try to be as objective as possible. But Telecaster has got a bit of a point there haha, everyone I've ever talked to seems to love Meridian.

I've got the HRT and it will run with an iPad 2; I tried it out on my dad's and worked fine, not above 16/44.1 of course. Also the output of the amp will suffice for the AKG since it drives my 250Ω DT990 to preferred volume with on ~50% output. I can say that the Meridian holds a clear improvement over the HRT though. But it's quite a bit more expensive and given the fact that I'd have had a bit more cash on the side I would've gone with the Meridian... Still the HRT is a giant killer in it's own right!
The only dac's I've owned so far are the ones in my Musical Fidelity X-can V8P and the Fiio E17... both the Explorer and Microstreamer blow the both of these clean from the sky in my opinion

Sep 21, 2013 at 9:30 PM Post #20 of 34
I own both. The Meridian never gets used as the HRT is the better unit. I prefer an ODAC > pico power over both, though.

Oct 18, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #21 of 34
I own both. The Meridian never gets used as the HRT is the better unit. I prefer an ODAC > pico power over both, though.

Have you ever tried the Explorer > Pico Power?  The Pico Power is a very nice amp so if your headphones aren't suitable for the Explorer's amp, I can see how the other combo can better it.  But I'm hoping the explorer is better than the ODAC.

Oct 18, 2013 at 6:44 PM Post #22 of 34
Meridian never replied to my support request for a swap to the new version. 50 ohm output impedance is inappropriate for anything I'd be driving with the thing. An external amp wouldn't change this.

Now that I have a Herus as well, I'd recommend it as the best unit of the three.

Nov 22, 2013 at 9:59 PM Post #24 of 34
Does anyone know how the Meridian Explorer would fare with a 32 ohm headphone like KEF M500 or B&W P7? I would just get the HRT Microstreamer, but my purpose for this is to connect directly with my phone via USB On-The-Go technology for mobile use, and I'm pretty certain USB Audio Class 1.0 devices don't support USB OTG because I've tried the Audioquest Dragonfly and it didn't work. Also doesn't work with my Schiit Modi which is also USB Audio Class 1.0 and the HRT is unfortunately USB Audio Class 1.0. Of ultra-portable DAC/amp combos, I only found the Meridian Explorer to be USB Audio Class 2.0. If anyone else know of any other ultra-portable DAC/amp combos like these products, please let me know!

Edit: Found this: http://resonessencelabs.com/dsd-on-iphone-with-herus/
Anyone know if it's any good?

Edit 2: Nvm it looks to be DAC only, so back to the question on Meridian Explorer paired with 32 ohm headphones.

Edit 3: I believe it's more a matter of power the DAC/Amp needs. Ended up ordering the Audioengine D3.

Oct 5, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #25 of 34
  Does anyone know how the Meridian Explorer would fare with a 32 ohm headphone like KEF M500 or B&W P7? I would just get the HRT Microstreamer, but my purpose for this is to connect directly with my phone via USB On-The-Go technology for mobile use, and I'm pretty certain USB Audio Class 1.0 devices don't support USB OTG because I've tried the Audioquest Dragonfly and it didn't work. Also doesn't work with my Schiit Modi which is also USB Audio Class 1.0 and the HRT is unfortunately USB Audio Class 1.0. Of ultra-portable DAC/amp combos, I only found the Meridian Explorer to be USB Audio Class 2.0. If anyone else know of any other ultra-portable DAC/amp combos like these products, please let me know!

Edit: Found this: http://resonessencelabs.com/dsd-on-iphone-with-herus/
Anyone know if it's any good?

Edit 2: Nvm it looks to be DAC only, so back to the question on Meridian Explorer paired with 32 ohm headphones.

Edit 3: I believe it's more a matter of power the DAC/Amp needs. Ended up ordering the Audioengine D3.

I've got a pair of B&W P7s and I'm looking to use them to play hi-res files on my smartphone too (Nexus 5 currently, probably going to next get the Xperia Z3).

I've been looking at the Meridian Explorer, especially now that the price has dropped to $150. I wasn't totally clear on your decision process and why you passed on the Explorer for the Audioengine?

Is there a good reason I shouldn't get the Explorer to use with my smartphone, Mac laptop, etc.? I realize there are smaller devices so I suppose that could be a reason.

Thanks.

Oct 8, 2014 at 5:23 PM Post #26 of 34
I'm in the same boat, having just made a purchase myself before the price drop, but luckily it is an easier decision for me since I went budget with the FiiO E10k. All accounts seem to say that the Meridian is a no-brainer over that unit, no matter what the set up. It'll be nice since all of my hi-res audio is better than 24/96.

My wife just shakes her head when I try to explain... :)

Oct 14, 2014 at 11:42 AM Post #27 of 34

Is there a good reason I shouldn't get the Explorer to use with my smartphone, Mac laptop, etc.? I realize there are smaller devices so I suppose that could be a reason.

I think I answered my own question: the Explorer needs a USB powered hub to work with a smartphone/iOS device, but the HRT Microstreamer does not. That's a huge portability advantage, IMO.

Oct 14, 2014 at 12:46 PM Post #28 of 34

I think I answered my own question: the Explorer needs a USB powered hub to work with a smartphone/iOS device, but the HRT Microstreamer does not. That's a huge portability advantage, IMO.

Not to mention that the DAC in the microStreamer is higher performance (PCM1793 vs PCM5102 as used in the Explorer, we use the later in lower cost products but not for the microStreamer).  The micorStreamer also offers an actual line output stage in addition to the headphone path.  In the case of the microStreamer, these are completely different interfaces, each optimized for their specific task.

Kevin Halverson
CTO
High Resolution Technologies, LLC

Nov 3, 2014 at 7:11 PM Post #29 of 34
I've now had a chance to test both the microStreamer and the Explorer. Let me start by saying I think these are both excellent products and I'm sure you'll probably be happy with whichever you choose.

I was more interested in the HRT as I was hoping to be able to use a single DAC with both my laptop (MBPr 15") and smartphone (Xperia Z3 Compact), and perhaps also occasionally with my tablet (iPad Air). Unlike the Explorer the HRT doesn't require a separate headphone amp with some smartphones so it seemed like the perfect solution.

I never got around to testing the HRT on the iPad, which I've heard works well. The HRT sounded very good on the MBPr, big step up from the MBPr's built-in audio. However, it wouldn't work the Xperia Z3 Compact even though I tried it with multiple apps including USB Pro, Walkman, Plex, and multiple USB OTG cables. Kevin from HRT was really helpful in trying to troubleshoot the issues with the Z3 but still no luck.

So...with the smartphone out of the picture as an option I decided to break the seal on the Meridian Explorer's box. The Explorer now seemed worth taking a look at since whichever DAC I went with was now going to be used nearly exclusively with my laptop.

In head-to-head comparisons using primarily DSD files on Audiravana and then also FLAC files via Plex Home Theatre I have to say the Explorer has a noticeable edge. Bigger and lusher soundstage, clearer details, and warmer in way that I think will allow me to enjoy longer listening.

Again, both great products but the Meridian (particularly now that it only costs $149, which is less than the HRT microStreamer) was my choice and the HRT will be heading to eBay.

Nov 5, 2014 at 7:39 AM Post #30 of 34
I've confirmed that I have the 2. revision of the Explorer. Again the microstreamer did bot stand a chance. i'm even debating if the explorer beats my Rega DAC in my main system..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back