HR's Total BitHead with Senn HD650 ?
Jun 25, 2007 at 10:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Wiza_Gab

100+ Head-Fier
Jun 25, 2007 at 11:28 PM Post #2 of 17
I mean, is there going to be enough power if I plug it USB + 4 AAA batteries while the Amp is running ?

Jun 25, 2007 at 11:32 PM Post #3 of 17
You'd be stretching it, I think. I would go with something stronger. Maybe the Eddie Current lunchbox. Perhaps something from Mister X. I think you would need to spend more to get an amp for Senns.

Jun 25, 2007 at 11:36 PM Post #4 of 17
Jun 26, 2007 at 12:57 AM Post #5 of 17
I'm also looking for an amp for my 650s, my pa2v2 has left me wanting more.

I need one that I can carry around with me, no desktop amps, since I walk around with my headphones all the time, even if its just in the house. Any reccommendations with enough juice to power the 650s and still be portable?

Jun 26, 2007 at 1:26 AM Post #6 of 17
Nope - I've done it, and it's not powerful enough. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Total Bithead used to be shown on HeadRoom with HD580/600/650 (I forget which) - this picture has since been replaced, and rightly so.

The Total Bithead is an excellent value USB DAC / amp combo, but 300 ohm headphones are too demanding for 4xAAA.

There are quite a few portable amps that will cope well... I'm happy with my Porta Corda MKIII-USB and Corda Move; both use a 9V battery and provide the juice for 650s.

Jun 26, 2007 at 5:53 AM Post #7 of 17
What happens when there's not enough power ? And what if I use the power of my computer by USB, will it be enough powerful ?

Jun 26, 2007 at 5:57 AM Post #8 of 17
Jun 26, 2007 at 5:30 PM Post #9 of 17
We feel that the new version of the Total BitHead drives the HD650 to good listenable levels especially with the gain switch set to high. Also, all volume controls on related software should be set to max. Of course the HD650 is a headphone that we make very expensive amps for so it can sound better but the Total BitHead should get you 90% there.

Jun 26, 2007 at 8:24 PM Post #10 of 17
And how can you explain that?...Why would they sell one of their OWN product with HD650 knowing that it's not powerful enough.

I'm just giving you my impressions and advice as an owner of HD650 and the original Total Bithead. I personally feel it sounds stifled by the lack of power and I see the red 'clipping' light flash on and off at the levels I listen to. YMMV... but have a read of the following statement on the very same HeadRoom website (on the Micro Amp product page).

"The Micro amp will have about TWICE the power rating compared to the "Mobile" (Total AirHead/ Total BitHead) amp line and will effortlessly drive even 300-ohm, high-impedance headphones..."

Hm - 300ohm, what, like the HD650?!

And did you try by powering it with the computer AND the batteries?

Yes - it made about a 10% difference in the volume you could listen without clipping. The power from USB and the batteries do not combine - it's not noticeably more powerful on 4XAAA + USB than it is with 4XAAA + line-in from iPod.

I haven't heard the new revised Total Bithead but I can imagine that 4XAAA (6V, or 4.8v rechargeable) is still insufficient for full and uncompromising sound out of the HD650. Power is an extremely important element in amplifier performance...

Again, I will say that the Total Bithead is a great product and works really well with other headphones.

Jun 26, 2007 at 8:33 PM Post #11 of 17
Heh, I had this same question a while back that I sent in to Headroom asking via email if the bithead would be enough to power a 250 ohm headphone. Answer I got back was similar to above, set to high gain it should be enough to obtain a very decent level. Soon enough I plan to be checking it out, if its not enough Ill prolly just jump up to the micro.

Ill add though that response time was very fast in getting the exact answer back that I needed just from emailing them. No run around, just straight to my question asked which I appreciated HIGHLY. =P

Jun 26, 2007 at 8:58 PM Post #12 of 17
senny-ftw,

The newly revised Total BitHead is substantially more powerful. It's not only about the voltage provided. We did make improvements to the circuit which yield more output power. I will say though that the HD650 is a very demanding headphone and certainly benefits from amplification better than the Total BitHead. It's still an amazing little amp for them though. If you get a chance to listen to the new version, I think you'd be surprised.

Cheers,
Jamey

Jun 26, 2007 at 9:22 PM Post #13 of 17
FWIW, I use a Total Bithead with my HD580s and the only time I have clipping is when the batteries are low. I think it's a great amp for them and I've been very satisfied. They sound much better with the Total Bithead than with a NAD 320BEE amp, which gives out a hell of a lot more juice (and is, of course, not a headphone amp, but a speaker amp).

Jun 26, 2007 at 10:53 PM Post #15 of 17
It is my opinion that this is probably a great 'into' amp, that does technically work with all Sennheiser phones, including HD650. However, if you own the HD650, then chances are at least some part of you is not only passionate about sound, but about owning upscale, serious equipment. I know that statement applies to myself. I don't see much benefit in going with 'introduction' grade equipment for top of the line headphones. No disrespect to Headroom. In fact, you would have a killer setup with one of their home amps and HD650s. I just think it is not best to mix top of the line equipment with introductory type equipment. You would almost certainly desire upgrading before long. Just my opinion.

On the other hand, I would sooner pair the RS1 from Grado with the bithead, despite costing more though. Simply due to ohms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back