HR Ultradesktop gain switch with Denon 7000
Nov 3, 2009 at 7:26 AM Post #2 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Robert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi
Which position of the gain switch is the best for the Denon 7000?
Medium or High?

For me The medium position is awesome but the high has more impact.

Howdy Dr.Robert,

I'd likely choose high gain for the low-sensitivity, fairly power-hungry DENON AH-D7000 headphones but the gain setting can also have a lot to do with the 'play' desired for the volume control range on the headphone amp; medium gain would give you slightly more fine control of volume scale.

Cheers,
Jorge
HR Sales/Products Manager

Nov 4, 2009 at 2:18 PM Post #4 of 10
I always use the low gain with my AHD5000 and ultra micro amp. never thought of trying the high gain, but it is interesting that you say you get more impact.

Nov 5, 2009 at 12:57 PM Post #5 of 10
Since I bought the amp + D7000, I've used medium gain with great control of the volume, but now I am trying high gain, less control in volume but more impact, great presence and all the sounds of both components take it to the limit. In high I feel the bass even more controlled. Is just a matter of preference like always in music.
Awesome instruments to hear music. A great marriage.

Nov 8, 2009 at 1:12 AM Post #6 of 10
I didn't know that the gain switch would affect the sound more than adjusting the volume output range with regard to the volume control.

Nov 9, 2009 at 8:23 PM Post #7 of 10
I'd love to hear more folks comments on this.

I asked Joe quite some time ago about this issue and he claimed the gain switch position shouldn't make any difference. Personally, I don't here any difference, but I have seen measurements that show a small difference between the low/med position and the high position.

So, I wouldn't be surprised if there is a slight difference between the sound in the different gain positions, but I doubt it's very significant.

Nov 9, 2009 at 10:29 PM Post #8 of 10
I just tried it here switching from low and medium (high is too much for the Denons and Ultrasones). Can't say that I hear any real difference once I readjust the volume.

Nov 10, 2009 at 11:53 AM Post #9 of 10
I admit that you are right. But I don't know how switching the gain, in MY EARS, the high has more impact instead of the volume. After all I still prefer medium, more control, more refined, taken the Denon to the limit. Superb music fidelity.

Nov 13, 2009 at 3:37 AM Post #10 of 10
I love listening to Denons AH-D 7000 on Ultra Micro Amp. I always prefer the HIGH gain settings as I feel the sound has more body and presence at HIGH gain than low/medium. May be it is just me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back