HR Ultra Micro Amp vs iQube
Jan 21, 2009 at 7:40 AM Post #16 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by jmkays /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sweet! Yes, I use the balanced breakout cables too and favor tube mics (Brauner); although I've used DPAs and Royers and have been pleased with their performance, as well.

To answer your question, no, I'm not an audio pro. I play jazz trumpet and use the gear to help in refining my technique and to record musician friends. Guess now I'm officially WAY off topic, but it's all in good fun and I've learned from listening to you two do the Capulet-Montague two-step. I didn't mean to incite fisticuffs, gents. You both have helped me and I appreciate your time and wisdom.

Guess now I just have to search the forums for a good iPod mod solution, unless you have some suggestions, my friend.

check you PM box

Jan 21, 2009 at 2:22 PM Post #17 of 21
iQube is better for me

Jan 21, 2009 at 3:13 PM Post #18 of 21
Quote:

....Guess now I just have to search the forums for a good iPod mod solution, unless you have some suggestions, my friend.

I don't mean to make things even more difficult for you. But since you have an interest in building a Transportable rig, you may want to explore the DAP+DAC+Amp route as well.

The iMod or DIYmod without a doubt are the best in the "built-in DAC" category (for DAP section). The modification of bypassing the internal crappy SMD capacitors does help to condition the output and as a result you can expect ultra clean Line Out which is a perfect fodder for amplification. Some caps can even improve certain charateristic of the sound like tightening of bass response and smoother highs. Some even widen the soundstage (a trait offered by Mundorf ZN 4.7 uF caps). But the internal Wolfson DAC does have limitations because they were not designed specifically for Hi-Fi purposes. They are made to sound good to make the general masses happy.

If you are very picky about the SQ, it is possible to completely bypass the internal DAC and capitialize on the usage of an external DAC to do the job. With the right DAC, the difference that I have observed is that miniscule nuances are becoming more apparent and timbre definition a lot more distinctive - something the iMod/DIYmod iPods can't offer conclusively. Most impotantly, if you are after that much coveted analogue experience, you will not be dissapointed. My gripe with good sounding DAP is that they are never analogue enough. I loved the zune, iRiver H series and Rio Karma, but even if they sounded good they are not analogue sounding at all. Analogue sound is all about natural smoothness to the edges and devoid of any grain (unless the media is scratched of course).

So, in this regard if you wish to explore this route, the most popular choice is to acquire an iRiver H120 or H140 and start filling them up with lossless files. I am not an iRiver zealot, but the only readily available DAP with optical capabilties is the iRiver H series. There are several other choices but most of them are very difficult to obtain and they are not flexible at all with storage space.

Once you got hold of an iRiver H120/140, the next step will be to find a battery operated DAC. Choices are very limited here as well but you will only need to find one that suit your taste.

Most common DAC companion with optical support:
- HeadRoom MicroDAC 2006 (18V) - Available through used market
- MAD/iBasso D1 DAC/Amp - Available used as well
- Apogee Mini DAC - Pricey and require external 12V battery pack
- NEW iBasso D10 - successor to iBasso D1

or you can read here for my personal choice of DAC: (some DIY skills required)
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f15/im...ght=iriver+DAC

Bottomline, no matter how good the amp is, they will only be as good as the source being fed to them. Now that you have a good source rig in hand, any of the top 10 amps commonly discussed here in this forum will surely make you a very happy audiphile on the move.

Cheers.

Jan 21, 2009 at 3:25 PM Post #19 of 21
Quote:

Thank you both for your thoughts.

Both the original question and the two portable amps identified -- "HR Ultra Micro Amp vs iQube" -- made placement in this forum appropriate. The HR Micro DAC wasn't mentioned in the original question, but its inclusion doesn't place the thread outside the forum's subject matter.

As with any good discussion, input prompts exploring options outside the fact set presented in the original query. The very introduction of the 7" x 3" x 1(.7)" Lisa III as an alternative necessarily shifted the discussion, if only momentarily, from portables to transportable units. I don't see a 7 inch piece of hardware as a hip-pocket solution, unless bib-overalls are a staple in one's wardrobe. By that standard, the Grace M902, at 8.5 x 1.7 x 8.25", could be considered transportable too. I imagine this is all relative to how one travels and how many sherpas are in his employ.
wink.gif

While the original scenario presented was a choice between the iQube and Head Room Ultra Micro, the fact that the Ultra DAC exists is relevant, regardless of whether that takes it and the (narrowly defined) question out of the realm of micro portables like the iQube. Even given two 4.5 x 3.5 x 1.5 Head Room micro units, together they still occupy space comparable to a Lisa III. The existence of the Micro DAC imbues the HR Ultra Micro Amp with greater inherent value.

I don't see a "Transportable Amp" forum, so it would seem the thread's original subject matter and evolution hasn't deviated from the relevance of its parent forum.

Yes, sadly, I am presently IMODless. I am told it is a reversible condition, though, given the right treatment and attending professionals.
smily_headphones1.gif
Who would you recommend for an IMOD?

I realize that the iPod, along with most portable WAV players out there, are low-fi. I have a Sound Devices professional (and portable!) rig that definitely is "hi-fi". I use the Sound Devices 722 HDD Recorder paired with the Sound Devices 442 Deluxe Field Mixer. I also planned on using the portable headphone amp with my laptop computer and my watercooled X58 desktop platform and RME HDSP 9632 I/O card.

I realize having a rack mounted DAC and headphone amp offer the best sound quality, but if there isn't a huge concession in fidelity, my preference would be to have a portable or transportable unit that I could use on the road with my SE530s, as well as at home. Most of my listening is through Magnepan 3.6 speakers and Dynaudio studio monitors. That will never change. I use headphones only when I'm on the road or people are sleeping.

It seems like the HR Ultra paired with the micro DAC is the best (truly) portable solution out there right now. I'm leaning in that direction with the Decware CSP2/Sennheiser HD800 as a home solution hooked up to my Audio Research pre, given some of the limitations you've pointed out, Qusp, and limit use of the HeadRoom to home office and travel.

The Headroom Ultra Micro amp does not run on batteries. That does not sound (truly) portable to me....

Jan 21, 2009 at 9:22 PM Post #20 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by EFN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are very picky about the SQ, it is possible to completely bypass the internal DAC and capitialize on the usage of an external DAC to do the job. With the right DAC, the difference that I have observed is that miniscule nuances are becoming more apparent and timbre definition a lot more distinctive - something the iMod/DIYmod iPods can't offer conclusively. Most impotantly, if you are after that much coveted analogue experience, you will not be dissapointed.

So, in this regard if you wish to explore this route, the most popular choice is to acquire an iRiver H120 or H140 and start filling them up with lossless files. I am not an iRiver zealot, but the only readily available DAP with optical capabilties is the iRiver H series. There are several other choices but most of them are very difficult to obtain and they are not flexible at all with storage space.

... my personal choice of DAC: (some DIY skills required)
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f15/im...ght=iriver+DAC
Cheers.

EFN, very ingenious solutions, but simply more gear than I care to schlep around. In reading some of your excellent threads, I caught Lornecherry's suggested Sony netbook combo. While only slightly less unwieldy than your offering, it has the added benefit of, well, a netbook. LOL. Always nice when traveling.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Headroom Ultra Micro amp does not run on batteries. That does not sound (truly) portable to me....

Kees, thanks for that. I thought there was the option to run the units off internal batteries. My oversight. Looks like the Pico paired with the new Sony netbook, or the iMod/iQube combination are the way to go without lugging around 5 lbs of gear.

Jan 22, 2009 at 2:24 AM Post #21 of 21
Quote:

EFN, very ingenious solutions, but simply more gear than I care to schlep around. In reading some of your excellent threads, I caught Lornecherry's suggested Sony netbook combo. While only slightly less unwieldy than your offering, it has the added benefit of, well, a netbook. LOL. Always nice when traveling.

Kees, thanks for that. I thought there was the option to run the units off internal batteries. My oversight. Looks like the Pico paired with the new Sony netbook, or the iMod/iQube combination are the way to go without lugging around 5 lbs of gear.

if you are going to get the Iqube; which out of the more portable amps you have mentioned is probably the best solution IMO. I would wait for the Iqube 2 upcoming release. iqube with dac. maybe set to overtake the pico

Users who are viewing this thread

Back