HR Millett Hybrid Amp, DPS?
Feb 4, 2010 at 10:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

justhavingfun

500+ Head-Fier
Ever since I had a chance to listen to Millett Hybrid amp, I knew I was going to love its sound. At first, I had a basic diy MH amp. Then scored the maxxed out MH built by n_maher with STEPS and diamond buffer. I still have that amp and loving its sound.

And when I first saw HR Millett Hybrid on their website, I knew I had to have it. but before I had a chance to purchase it was discontinued. What a bummer! I scanned F/S section all the time but this amp was rarely on the used market until now. I just purchased one used HR MH from MoNelly but it has stock PS with it. This amp has home module upgrade from stock desktop. Now my next question is how much this amp with home module can benefit from using HR DPS instead of stock wallwart PS. Headroom sells its DPS for whopping $499 now.

Those of you who owns HR MH or had a chance to compare between two PS, I would love to hear your opinions whether DPS was worth it or not. I did searched the forums but didn't find much info about it.

Feb 5, 2010 at 3:22 AM Post #2 of 10
I had the Micro Stack and used the wall wart power supplies for a long time. On a whim, and with tax returns, I ordered the DPS and was glad I did. It improved the sonic signature of the amp on every level. Everything is simply more in focus and cleaner. The background noise drops to nearly perfect silence. Was it the degree of improvement that some may want or think earned by $500.00? Only they would know. But I was happy with my purchase and thought it worthy. You've got a great new amp, enjoy the hell out of it!

Feb 5, 2010 at 4:08 AM Post #3 of 10
Depends how much I like this amp, I might want to try this DPS stuff. I do have Micro Stacks for few years now and I can also use DPS on them as well. I also have old Headroom's Cosmic amp as well which probably could benefit.

I had a quick listen with HR MH using ER4S and it is indeed sounding very nice and I like the fact it has both 1/8 and 1/4 input, no more adapter.

Feb 6, 2010 at 9:37 PM Post #4 of 10
I had few hours of quality listening time with this amp using both ER4S and HD600. My source was Lite DAC modified by Pacific. The CD was Dave Brubeck Quartet Live at Carnegie Hall. The drum solo from "Castillian" was amazing. I don't thing HR MH will be the bottle neck for many equipments to come in my way.

I know I don't have uber high end equipments, just mid-fi but I sure am enjoying this amp for now. I have been enjoying my other maxxed out MH amp for long time but this HR version of MH is sounding much different in nice way. I can't stop listening to it for now.

Feb 6, 2010 at 10:07 PM Post #5 of 10
The DPS does make a difference, no doubt. I don't think it's worth 500$ though. You should contact headroom and see if they will give you the Input voltage and build a Sigma for it instead, or even have one built for you.

Feb 6, 2010 at 10:55 PM Post #7 of 10
Excuse my ignorance....
what is a HR Millett Hybrid amp and how does it differ from a TTVJ Millett Hybrid amp?

Feb 7, 2010 at 12:47 AM Post #8 of 10
Little awhile ago, Headroom developed their version of popular DIY Millett Hybrid amp and sold under their logo. Its design was co-developed with Pete Millett but unfortunately they discontinued its model. It is another commercial version of Millett Hybrid amp just like TTVJ Millett Hybrid amp with Headroom flavor.

Feb 7, 2010 at 1:10 AM Post #10 of 10
Yeap, I believe HR Astrodyne PSU will work just fine as well. I might buy it just to compare them if it makes difference. When I tried my own experiment with different power supply with amps like PPA and M3, I noticed slight difference but not night and day difference to my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back