HQ guitar jazz recordings?
May 11, 2007 at 2:31 PM Post #31 of 39
Try
John Jorgenson's Franco American Swing
Hot Club of San Francisco (especially the Clarity Recordings)
Hot Club of 52nd Street and Swing Live (Bucky Pizarelli and others)
and for a really surprising twist...J. Geils Plays Jazz

http://www.gypsyjazz.net

This is a great site to find new musicians in this vein, prices on their CDs are a little steep, but good place to do some research

May 11, 2007 at 2:37 PM Post #32 of 39
Another Wes Montgomery endorsement

Grant Green - Idle Moments
John Scofield - Works for Me, A Go Go
Soulive - Soulive

The last one is a bit more funk/jamband and features a guy named Eric Krasno, who is comparatively young and has some serious chops.

May 12, 2007 at 6:07 AM Post #34 of 39
So much to choose from.

On the Django -> Rosenberg Trio front, also try Pearl Django. They are from the Seattle area, and are quite good. Decent recordings as well.

tonym's suggestion of Ralph Towner is certainly of a different style, but I give an A to the recordings. Open Letter by Towner is my favorite.

Early Pat Metheny is more traditional jazz, less synthetic. Try Pat Metheny Group (with Mark Egan) from 1978. A favorite. (Yes, even though it's quite a different style.)

Have fun!

May 17, 2007 at 2:56 AM Post #37 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by musicmind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ed Bickert is awesome. I have the album "Third Floor Richard" which I'd recommend too.

Hmm, don't know that one. It's often difficult to find Ed's stuff, where'd you pick it up musicmind?

May 17, 2007 at 11:20 PM Post #39 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by R_burke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try
John Jorgenson's Franco American Swing
Hot Club of San Francisco (especially the Clarity Recordings)
Hot Club of 52nd Street and Swing Live (Bucky Pizarelli and others)
and for a really surprising twist...J. Geils Plays Jazz

http://www.gypsyjazz.net

This is a great site to find new musicians in this vein, prices on their CDs are a little steep, but good place to do some research

I was going to recommend all of these except the J Geils, which I haven't heard.
blink.gif
For great sounding recordings any of the Bucky and/or John Pizarelli discs from Chesky are excellent. Also try to find anything by Dorado Schmitt and the Django Reinhardt Festival. I also think the Progressions CD collection is very cool too, but for a wide range of styles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back