HPs vs. Speakers
Oct 6, 2002 at 10:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

pigmode

Truck-Fi
Remember how people say you need to spend $x.xx on speakers and components in order to equal or surpass the sound quality of headphones? Well I've been listening to my Melos/ 501s, and my speaker system definitely surpasses it in all categories.

http://www.galanteaudio.com/rhapsody.htm

Where do I go from here? What amp and HPs should I buy? Is Stax the only way to go? Please don't anyone mention the Senn Orfice.

Oct 6, 2002 at 11:04 PM Post #2 of 9

What other phones/amps have you tried so far? You also need to tell us what's "deficient" in the AKGs so we can determine what to reco. I guess bass response is probably one area.
evil_smiley.gif

Unless you want to spend a lot more on an amp, the melos is going to be hard to beat, plus it can drive virtually any headphone. You got NOS tubes in that puppy? What cables you usin'? We need info, man!!!

Mark

Oct 6, 2002 at 11:20 PM Post #3 of 9
Fogot about the info:

ZU Varial IC
Phillips SACD 1000 (VD Ref PC)
7308 Siemens steel pins (Melos)

I'm happy with the bass as far as the 501s are concerned, and I know the Melos is up there to the point that an amp upgrade would need to be substantial. I was not impressed with the R10 to the point where I think it would make enough of a difference, although its been so long that that impression may not be completely accurate.

Oct 6, 2002 at 11:46 PM Post #4 of 9
I've come to the conclusion that headphones should complement speakers, and vice versa. One does not necessarily have to beat the other for me to be happy.

I do most of my music listening nowdays through my Omega IIs, and I suspect not so much because they're a "new toy" at this point. But there are times when only a good dosage of expansive washover soundstaging and full body visceral impact will do. At those times, I'll fire up the Tituses. The Omega IIs in no way make me want to suddenly dump the Tituses, and to live the life of a headphone monk until I can afford $100k speakers to outclass the Omega IIs. A part of me expected to have to do that after getting the Omega IIs, but I'm glad that isn't happening.
wink.gif

I think if you want to blur the lines between headphones and speakers, STAX earspeakers might do the trick. For me, they are the closest (which is still rather far off) at blurring the line between speaker performance and headphone performance, albeit at a very high cost. Otherwise I find the two seperate worlds to contain too many advantages and disadvantages to live with or without one, or the other.

P.S. You said: "Remember how people say you need to spend $x.xx on speakers and components in order to equal or surpass the sound quality of speakers?"

Did you mean "surpass the sound quality of headphones"?

Oct 7, 2002 at 2:19 AM Post #5 of 9
Pigmode, I recommend the Sennheiser HD-600 Orfice Edition, but just so you know, it's bass is so much worse than my V700's and the 150W subwoofer in my '89 Chevy Bronco and it doesn't look as cool as my V700's either and . . . . .
very_evil_smiley.gif
tongue.gif

On a more serious note, have you auditioned the W2002's? But you didn't like the R10's enough for the minimal change that their no-so-minimal change in price brought? I think others may tell you you're not alone or they'll claim that you didn't have good enough interconnects, source, amp, etc.

Oct 7, 2002 at 3:42 AM Post #6 of 9
Vert,
I changed my wording above. You're right, its apples and oranges. The problem is I don't want to spend the money for a Stax system. I wonder if a Max amp might help?

QG,
You had to mention the Orfice didn't you?
rolleyes.gif
. I spent a good day with the R 10 but it happened much too long ago. I was more impressed with the Grado HP 1000 to tell the truth. Does the w2002 sound similar to the w100? I didn't like the latter.

Oct 7, 2002 at 8:23 AM Post #7 of 9
Hmm...

You have the AKG K501s and like them...

You have a nice sub...

Ever think about the AKG K1000s?
biggrin.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 7, 2002 at 11:48 AM Post #8 of 9
I don't know.. but I think a good set of speakers can easily beat headphone and vice versa. There's no answer to whether which is better. Last time I only do 10 percent of listening through my headphone, but now 100% ! wow..
it all depends on the phone itself. My dt770pro is what I have long been looking for, nice bass, good clarity, soundstage and closed, I seem to disappear into my own world.. very enjoyable indeed.. especially at night.. it gets better somehow( afternoon it's hot.. so I kept sweating and the earpads gets wet.. uncomfortable)...

yeah
but I think , as many others have said, that speakers complimenet headphones. When you want a natural soundstage you usually go for speakers but when you want a more personal listening you would grab a can.

Anyway, have you tried hd600 + good combo(im not very sure) ?? some said the hd600 ownz when paired with suitable amp.. it can easily outperform most speakers...

Stax from what I heard do not have the bass and impact of the dynamic phones.. though they go deep..
Or.. what about sony R10 ??
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 7, 2002 at 12:29 PM Post #9 of 9
pigmode, maybe you'd enjoy headphones more if you had crossfeed, or even some form of DSP!

TravelLite

Users who are viewing this thread

Back