HP's and Speakers together. Pls
Jan 4, 2019 at 7:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

sceleratus

Previously known as Iamnothim
Hello,

Does anyone know if it is possible (and how to) operate HP’s and speakers at the same time. I've spent a lot of many hours with the Marantz and the Sony. My guess is the codecs are single threaded. Just a guess. One in One out. I’ve tried half a dozen external mini bluetooth boxes. No go.

I have the following
Sony XBR65X850E
Marantz AV8001
Bose QC35
AppleTV 4k FireTV, Chromecast

Many Thanks
Luke

Jan 5, 2019 at 2:48 AM Post #2 of 4
Does anyone know if it is possible (and how to) operate HP’s and speakers at the same time. I've spent a lot of many hours with the Marantz and the Sony. My guess is the codecs are single threaded. Just a guess. One in One out. I’ve tried half a dozen external mini bluetooth boxes. No go.

I have the following
Sony XBR65X850E
Marantz AV8001
Bose QC35
AppleTV 4k FireTV, Chromecast

You mean you'll have sound coming out of both speakers and headphones at the same time?

But why? They'll just raise the noise floor for each other, and it's not like they can reinforce each other given the speakers will have a delay unless you lie down and put the speakers next to your head. Oh wait no that's still enough distance for microseconds to matter, given what Time Alignment does in my car's cabin, since that will now have a huge differential distance from the tweeter to your head vs the midwoofer/s to your head, so unless the speakers are single driver design, you're just adding more issues to time alignment.

In any case if you really want to do it for whatever reason it won't be with what you have. Get a DAC with a spliter cable (not a source selector) and get a headphone amp and an integrated amp (if your receiver lacks analogue inputs).

Jan 5, 2019 at 1:52 PM Post #3 of 4
Hello Prote
Thanks for responding
Yes Both at the same time. Why, because I have very poor hearing and the QC35 lets me jack up the volume whilst others listen at a normal level. If I could play two sources that might do it.

Good stuff ! I haven’t played with audio for years. I have a Schiit Gungniir someplace to try it. Don’t I have to use a non DAC port or disable one on the Marantz ? Keep in mind I’m old and l drink a large glass of Stupid Sauce before posting

Anyway

Thanks

Jan 6, 2019 at 5:29 AM Post #4 of 4
Thanks for responding
Yes Both at the same time. Why, because I have very poor hearing and the QC35 lets me jack up the volume whilst others listen at a normal level. If I could play two sources that might do it.

That seems reasonable but wouldn't wearing a hearing aid with large earcup headphones work better? Because just jacking up the volume can make what hearing loss you have even worse if what you need is more of a response correction than absolute volume. Ask your HMO if they cover that and then try some large closed back headphones, preferably still with ANC, like that newer Sony (I can't find the model number but its ANC is being touted as equal if not better than Bose's).

Good stuff ! I haven’t played with audio for years. I have a Schiit Gungniir someplace to try it. Don’t I have to use a non DAC port or disable one on the Marantz ? Keep in mind I’m old and l drink a large glass of Stupid Sauce before posting

I meant a splitter cable from the DAC's output into the analogue input of a headphone amplifier and analogue input on the receiver (if it has analogue inputs). The problem with doing this is you won't have surround capability anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back