1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

HP50, HD558, HD598 or? for Home Use

1. boybandista
    I already have a Westone UM1 for use when I'm out commuting, so now I'm looking for a nice gear for home/office use.

Of the following, which would you guys recommend the most?

NAD Viso HP50
    Senn HD 558
    Senn HD 598

I'd prefer it if it needs no amp, but I guess I could buy at least a Fiio E12/E17 if its needed  to shine.

From reviews that I've read, I am leaning towards the HP50s, but its weird look is somewhat putting me off. I'm already imagining the weird looks that I'll be getting from my family/officemates with the HP50s. The Senns look really good, but they are open-backed right? Does it leak sound by the bucketload? 

I usually listen to acoustic, female vocals, classical and a little of pop/rock music.

Thanks.

2. AnalogSavior
    The NAD Viso HP50 comes highly recommended by many, and while I don't have experience with them, I'd be willing to give them a shot.  Personally I think they look pretty snazzy.

Here is a review to help you decide: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/i-love-these-headphonesthe-nad-viso-hp50

The HD558/598 are very good, but do leak sound, especially at higher volume.  If you need isolation or are going to use them in a place where you will bother others, I wouldn't consider any open cans.

3. zanox
    well, for your music taste , i would highly recommend the HD 598.
    but yes, they do leak.
    if you really mind the leak, then go for the hp50.
    but for me - HD 598> HP 50 for classical music. no brainer.
    reason -
    classical music is the hd 598's strong suit. they have huge soundstage , warm mids with smooth treble which is very airy without being bright.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/sennheiser-hd-598/reviews/10786
    read my review to know my experience with them :)