HP2/RS1 enclosure size comparison (pic)
Sep 5, 2002 at 5:37 PM Post #16 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by Beagle

I mean the whole thing done in aluminum, and use the RS-1 drivers and wire and you have a better phone than the RS-1 or HP-1.

If this were true, don't you think grado would have done this?

Biggie.

Sep 5, 2002 at 7:04 PM Post #17 of 36
Notorious
I'm not sure how to account for Grado's "progress", but I can tell you that I far prefer their older product that they've decided not to produce anymore to any of their current products.

A good question would be, "What kind of headphone would Joseph Grado design if he were designing them today?" I don't think the answer would be, "The RS-1."

Sep 5, 2002 at 7:24 PM Post #18 of 36
I am skeptical that the rs-1's driver would sound better in the hp1000's casing vs. using a regular hp1000..

I mean the rs-1's have a different casing, cord and driver so is the wood really the big difference? I doubt that..

Biggie.

Sep 5, 2002 at 10:42 PM Post #19 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
...not even coming close to hearing what these headphones can really do (and you are not, obviously)

First a pic for Biggie:

pads.jpg

KR: what happens is that people assume the worst based on how the combination looks on paper. I *am* close to what these headphones can do! I'm getting the majority of what they offer; what I'm not getting is maybe a small increment of refinement that would cost a large increment of currency. Thanks though for that other comment, and yeah, today I had the RS1's for the first long stretch of listening at work and it was AWESOME. Man the RS1 has a great bottom end for rock, and they are light to wear.
Even though I dont listen critically at work I find that I'm hearing all kinds of new things, and I think its like.. its like when you are trying to see a faint star in the sky; sometimes you have to look away slightly to see it clearly. I'll be working and register a cymbal decay or bass impact in a way that I hadnt heard on the recording before, even though 100% of my attention is not on listening.

I can already see why lots of critics loved them. One thing I dont appreciate at all is how lightly built the RS1 is. I agree with Kelly that the level of craftsmanship at Grado reached the high point with the HP1000 Series. Another thing about Grado: they are INSANE about making claims for every single thing they use no matter how mundane it really is. Someone told me they talked up the glue they used as if to make it sound like it was brewed in small batches with proprietary audio properties.. or the way they make it seem that even tiny things like headband thread diameter was taken into account and tested. Yeah right.

Sep 5, 2002 at 11:41 PM Post #21 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by M Rael
My point is: I would rather have PCDP sound using the RS1 while I make $$$ at work, and just enjoy that fact, than to fret and stress about matching amps and cables on a more expensive home-only system that I dont have time to listen to as much and that 'pins me down' while I'm doing it.

What's this? An objective, sensible Head-Fi'er? It just can't be!
wink.gif
I completely see M Rael's point in this regard. I'm sure that some people take pleasure in listening to good headphones, good cables, and good amps. But there are also people like M Rael who take pleasure in listening to good music. He doesn't want to be bogged down with thoughts of "is my system as perfect as it could be?" and instead wants to focus on and enjoy the artists, the singers, the instruments, the songs. Like he said, it's, objectively speaking, not healthy for someone to fret constantly about equipment when the time should be spent listening to tunes in his spare time that's supposed to be used for relaxation and down-winding.

Sep 5, 2002 at 11:58 PM Post #22 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by sTaTIx

What's this? An objective, sensible Head-Fi'er? It just can't be!
wink.gif
I completely see M Rael's point in this regard. I'm sure that some people take pleasure in listening to good headphones, good cables, and good amps. But there are also people like M Rael who take pleasure in listening to good music. He doesn't want to be bogged down with thoughts of "is my system as perfect as it could be?" and instead wants to focus on and enjoy the artists, the singers, the instruments, the songs. Like he said, it's, objectively speaking, not healthy for someone to fret constantly about equipment when the time should be spent listening to tunes in his spare time that's supposed to be used for relaxation and down-winding.

(MRael and Statix
smily_headphones1.gif

"Oh please."

Does the fact that you guys are on an internet forum dedicated to headphones mean anything to you? Maybe you can say you're "done enough... for now" or that "this is the best I can do for my system to remain somewhat portable" and that's fine, but trying to make it look like you've got some kind of superior sensibilities simply because you can't justify a good amplifier at home is silly, to say the least.

"I like my music more than you like yours. You can tell because I don't care how bad the system sucks." Uh-huh. Sure.

If you want to pretend to be the kind of person who doesn't "fret over" the quality of your equipment, fine. But don't do so on an internet related headphone forum to a bunch of obsessed headphone geeks (most self-proclaimed) right after having bought your $700 retail "throw-around" headphones to go along with your $600 rare collector's ones.

Sep 6, 2002 at 12:15 AM Post #24 of 36
Thanks for the picks M. So if I take my bowl pads and a belt sander...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Hrrmm on my rs1's they used too much glue, you can see a glue hump on my right headphone. I would like to sand that off as well hehe.

Also, I don't see the point in putting all this money towards top end headphones and not backing them with nice components... oh wait thats what I've done.
eek.gif

Don't worry though, I'll be sure to upgrade my amp soon, my spending can't end now afterall!

Biggie.

Sep 6, 2002 at 12:46 AM Post #26 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by RickG
Oh my...<ducking behind couch>...

Funny.

Kelly, Kelly, Kelly. I am not making any claims at superiority or trying to convince you that being a hardware junkie is bad. The guy that bought my Thiels last night was a hardware junkie too, but as he talked I thought, 'god I thank my stars I turned my back on that side of this hobby!' There are other sides to this hobby, Kelly, other than using every opportunity to indulge in audio vocabulary. As if the words were fine wine. Which they are not.

I like head-fi, I always have, but its NOT so I can dress myself up as some kind of 'Pro Reviewer in Waiting.' I come here for the fun and the chance to make an ass of myself, which Rick G can remind me of any time now..
smily_headphones1.gif

Rather than comment more on you personally Kelly, which I started to do and then deleted, I'd rather just say that there are many sides to this hobby, and I am loving the side I *finally* am coming to know. I wouldnt have gotten there except for coming to head-fi. You know, I'm under no illusions about that; this place has been very valuable for me. I like the people. Even you Kelly, so stop saying my portable system sounds like crap. Stick to things you know, like how one kind of copper wire sounds vastly and dramatically better than another kind of copper wire and things like that. Knock yourself out.

For my part I just picked up a second pair of RS1's for a great, great price, so I'm happy. I couldnt turn the bargain down. So you see, I'm still something of a junkie too.

Sep 6, 2002 at 1:03 AM Post #27 of 36
M Rael

Nowhere did I ever even imply that your portable system sounds like crap. :p

The RS-1 is a little too bright for my taste so I went a different route and my work rig includes a small amplifier (I have a desk job so this is acceptable for me). For what it's worth my work rig is pretty much done, though I'll buy an interconnect for it at some point.

I'm sorry you didn't find my reviews entertaining or useful but I like to think I've helped out a couple of people who were tying to figure out which component had the characteristics they were looking for. It honestly surprises me that you'd take offense to my posting my impressions of equipment I wanted to audition (and on most occasions had to fork out my own money just to TRY them). I'd just like to think that if someone else came along in the same boat as I was in that he or she may not have to do as much legwork if our taste ran similar. For what it's worth, I make more money in my present line of work than I made when I wrote reviews for a living and I don't make anything at all off of the ones I post here--unless you count making enemies.

My comments weren't targetting your Grados. By all means, please enjoy your RS-1s, however many pairs of them you end up with. I just have trouble understanding how you could fein disinterest and expect to be believable.

Sep 6, 2002 at 1:49 AM Post #28 of 36
We are not at war. And I *do* like your reviews.
You said, "I like my music more than you like yours. You can tell because I don't care how bad the system sucks."

I wasnt insulting you Kelly, I was just stating the obvious: that you really latched onto Head-fi as a form of personal expression, from the point of view of someone who makes keen discriminations about his gear and shares his impressions, as information for all. The reason you countered what sTaTIx said seemed to be because it affronted your 'keen' sensibilities. Those sensibilities have no place on a thread where I'm talking about how my RS1's fit into my painting work and how great it feels to make money while listening to music through high end Grado's.
What do you have in common with that? Very little.

I also posted on this thread how to remove the RS1 speakers and a picture of flat pad / bowl pad differences. I'm just doing my little thing here Kelly, I'm not dissing all the connoiseurs out there. Like you.

Sep 6, 2002 at 2:12 AM Post #29 of 36
Hey M Rael, thanks for the pics of the flat and bowl pads. Now i have a clear understanding of the difference
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 6, 2002 at 2:57 AM Post #30 of 36
Quote:

I wasnt insulting you Kelly

Quote:

There are other sides to this hobby, Kelly, other than using every opportunity to indulge in audio vocabulary. As if the words were fine wine... ...but its NOT so I can dress myself up as some kind of 'Pro Reviewer in Waiting.' Rather than comment more on you personally Kelly, which I started to do and then deleted...

I'm not one to wear my feelings on my sleave but try though I may, I'm unable to interpret the above as anything other than an insult.

Quote:

The reason you countered what sTaTIx said seemed to be because it affronted your 'keen' sensibilities.

I responded to it because I found it a little presumptious of you to insinuate that the rest of the forum doesn't have the ability to appreciate music. Posting in a public forum affords one the risk that someone may reply. Believe me, it's a lesson I've learned the hard way.

Quote:

Those sensibilities have no place on a thread where I'm talking about how my RS1's fit into my painting work and how great it feels to make money while listening to music through high end Grado's.
What do you have in common with that? Very little.

Althought it may seem so, I don't follow every thread on HeadFi. I joined joined this one because I'm interested in the HP-1000 and indeed I am interested if anyone attempts to mod them or create an amalgam of Grado phones. I think my first words in this thread were, "Thanks for the info and pics, M Rael."

You're right to say that we don't have the RS-1 in common. I don't own those and have never been afforded the opportunity to listen at work. I do enjoy my Etymotics quite a bit at work. Since I'm already "pinned down" to a computer but surrounded by noisy coworkers I only seldom need or want to converse with, that made more sense for me. I do, however, work late fairly often and occasionally bring the HP-1000 along for when my coworkers are gone (or dispersed enough to not mind them). It's likely that we have a lot more in common than you think. The reason I bought my Sony 7506 years ago is that I spent all day doing artwork and the music helped me keep going. Of course, I did computer artwork and I'm sure even my texture work was quite a bit different than your painting. Still, I bet the motivation isn't all that dissimilar.

I'd be interested in seeing your paintings if you'd ever care to share them. Head-Fi has already learned what a great photographer you are and this thread has offered further evidence to that regard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back