HP1000 At Last
Jun 8, 2004 at 6:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Surreal

New Head-Fier
So, thanks to this wonderful forum I have a pair of Philips HP1000 headphones.

Beautiful.

Someone described the soundstage as being so wide that it was like listening to speakers...but I would say it like an array of speakers arranged in a circle.

But really, comparing them to speakers misrepresents them. Good recordings sound like you are in a small club, space wise. Even sub par recordings are much more open.

While, for headphones, I was paying an unprecedented 160$ for these headphones, I hadn’t really considered them as life altering-ly wonderful as they are. I sleep listening to music on headphones...but I will not do that with these. I actually knew from the moment I laid eyes on the storage case that it comes with that I would cherish these phones, and actually put them back in the case after every friggin use. (Saying a LOT for me). While I might get over this eventually, I am touched by the unexpected jump in quality that Philips has here. I lusted after these cans because of my love for the HP550's. I have had a pair for some years now, but the broke due to being, for the most part, made of plastic. NONE of that here. BIG STURDY metal band, velvet lined cups, nice little latch system foe adjusting the fit; overall professional production quality.

Because I don't sleep with them, I actually went back to listening to my 550s at night. This has given me a little insight into some of the nuances of these phones. While my post won't be too helpful to anyone who hasn’t heard 550's, they are all I know intimately.

Going back to the 550's I realize that I had actually grown accustomed to its soundstage. It is almost as wide as the soundstage in the HP1000s but the 1000s are much more defined. (I can hear individual voices and positioning for chorus effects on the 1000s)

The only sources I am working from are a gateway PC (Boston speaker system), and my portable CD Player D-FJ210.

That said, I really never wanted to bother with an amp. I actually CAN tell that this cans are underpowered. I listened with my 550 and then switched without changing anything….and everything si a bit lowered... BUT it’s so frigging nice. There is no WEAKNESS, it’s subdued…like a tamed animal that grew up in the wild….LoL

The ONLY thing I can think that an amp would lend to these is even MORE presence. Right now its like I am almost at my seat in the concert. With an amp I would be in the front row. I am only listening to these phones at 3. when I turn them up it is better, but I don’t think this would be necessary with an amp.

I listen to jazz and hip hop mostly. But I HATE over represented bass. I can press bass boost if I REALLY want to feel it, which some cd’s sound better with. But the bass on these is perfect for me. It IS thin in some recordings, but it is a natural sound. It sounds like the bass player is right *points* there. This is all without bass boost mind you. With bass boost (light bass boost) there is an adjustment to the presence I spoke of before. Like a step toward the stage.

The double edged aspect of these cans is their faithful representation. I now know exactly which recording are better than others and why. The bad part is putting ina bad recording of a song you like.

as an experiment, I turned the my PCDP up past 3. I ended up stopping at 4.5…and I love these headphones even more. I understand why these phones are used by Philips in their surround sound system. I won’t need an amp ... what I said before about needing an amp for the front row experience is only necessary if you normally listen at maybe 5 or more. at 4.5 I was in the middle of everything. And could point to EXACTLY where sounds where coming from. I LOVE these headphones.

I doubt burn in. but I know my ears adjust. This little experiment is proof that time with my new phones will only make me appreciate them more.

Overall, I love you Philips, for bringing me these wonderful headphones. But I HATE you for denying me them for so long. I had to order them from Germany, because they are only sold in a fist full of countries (thank you again Jan Meier. Meier sound, at the top)

Grade: A

The most important feeling I want from headphones is that I am wherever the recording was done. These phones do that.

Jun 10, 2004 at 9:54 PM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Surreal
So, thanks to this wonderful forum I have a pair of Philips HP1000 headphones.

Beautiful.

Someone described the soundstage as being so wide that it was like listening to speakers...but I would say it like an array of speakers arranged in a circle.

But really, comparing them to speakers misrepresents them. Good recordings sound like you are in a small club, space wise. Even sub par recordings are much more open.

That someone was me
tongue.gif
and as a matter of fact i own a pair of them sinds a month now.

Your correct about their soundstage it is not as wide is i descibed (sorry for that).
Anyways congratulations with your hp1000 as they are damn nice headphones.

Jun 10, 2004 at 11:40 PM Post #3 of 8
I'm glad you're happy with them!
I've seen these for $75, (is this the right model?) sounds like I might have to try a pair after that glowing recommendation.

Jun 12, 2004 at 5:33 AM Post #4 of 8
HP1000s for 75? where??? i wouldnt mind another pair.

drake, the soundstage is dependent on how the cd was mixed. i knwo you know this, but i am pointing it out because on the BEST mixed recordings, you almost think you are either THERE or listeingin got impeccable speakers.

so you didnt lie.

i thought prince was waaaaay behind me today LoL

and i am happy. i am listening to From the filthy tongue of gods and griots, by dalek. until now i couldnt tell what the #$@$ he was saying. :) ahhh.... such bliss.;

Jun 12, 2004 at 8:39 AM Post #5 of 8
Darnit, I was hoping for a Joe Grado HP-1000 review..
biggrin.gif

Jun 12, 2004 at 1:51 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Surreal
HP1000s for 75? where??? i wouldnt mind another pair.

drake, the soundstage is dependent on how the cd was mixed. i knwo you know this, but i am pointing it out because on the BEST mixed recordings, you almost think you are either THERE or listeingin got impeccable speakers.

so you didnt lie.

i thought prince was waaaaay behind me today LoL

and i am happy. i am listening to From the filthy tongue of gods and griots, by dalek. until now i couldnt tell what the #$@$ he was saying. :) ahhh.... such bliss.;

True they realy depend on what you put in to them put crap in em they wil sound like crap put something good in it and they wil eh erm sound good ofcourse
icon10.gif
, btw try them with powerdvd and dolby headphone, these things realy rock with movies (like the hp1500 but that one has it's own dolby decoder).

i paid 150 euro for them btw but i didn't cared if they would have costs 50 more or less, they sound great and that's the most importent thing for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back